Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:57:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 92132 times)
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 05:11:11 AM »

DIRECTIONAL SHOOTY BANGS!!

After setting up my aiming and shooting (Left Trigger + Right Trigger to shoot) layered anim system I noticed a fun little mechanic.  The more extravagant the action (running, jumping) the less accurate John is.  Due to the gun model raycasting the bullet trajectory.  This triggered my counterstrike memories of yeold of having to strategically stop/crouch to get accurate shots.  So now I've built in right stick aiming, it's got me thinking that rather increase enemies to increase targets/difficulty, let's have a duelling scenario of minimal enemies and upping the cunning of your target and REALLY picking your moment to take those vital shots.  I never wanted this to be a kill kill, shoot everything game as John's role is that of a fugitive for the most part and this plays into it nicely.  Also...debug raycast gizmo's make me want to put bullet trails in.

I'm putting bullet trails in.

FALL SPEED DEPENDANT LANDING ANIMATIONS

The stunted nature of the old landing from height bugged me.  So I rewired how I measured velocity to blend in his freefall loop and measure whether he was landing soft or not.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:45:57 PM by Olsen » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »

Huh, this looks really slick and interesting. Nice animations, and interesting art style! Great work!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »

I looked at the shooting,
That's pretty awesome...
I thought to myself.
Then I looked at the jumping.
I audibly said "holy crap that looks good."
This looks absolutely incredible.
keep up the good work.
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

Your narration style sounds super interesting, almost like an awesome adult storybook style or a little like Bastion. I'm sure good things will come of this.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

Cheers for your kind comments all!

Your narration style sounds super interesting, almost like an awesome adult storybook style or a little like Bastion.

Yeah it was a recent development to make it a told story.  As I decided the protagonist be a successful author pre-war.    I'd say that it isn't narrated though, most probably book ended by narration, much like, I dunno, Conan!. It was all brought on from a melody test I sent to my sound guy which is reminiscent of a children's nursery rhyme.  Will post it on here once he's run it through his magic production.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »

PARTICLES POPPING OUT YOUR PARTICLES

Dicking around with particles.  Sub-emitters, all that distracting fluff.  No way I'm not doing this with cards in the future but it it gave me inspiration for working methods on things like bullet trails and reliable turbulence when things get speedy.  Helps that it interpolates during time ramps too.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »

The stylistic look is super awesome. Looks fantastic in motion Smiley

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »

C'mon man, now you're just making us look bad.  Tongue Love that running animation; it's probably the most compelling run cycle I've seen in a game.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »

yo this looks fantastic! though i admit i first looked because i live right near Somerville, MA  Toast Right

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 04:43:44 PM »

Cheers guys.  I feel a bit fraudulent posting so little of the core game mechanic.  But I promise it's coming soon!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »

LET ME OUT!!

Wall detection/collision/animation added to all grounded and mid-air body meets hard object scenarios.  Took surprisingly long.  Loads of 4 hour sleep toying with offsetting the character controller on impact.

Till I remembered THIS bloody button!...

...and switched it to enabled on collision.

kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 08:22:06 AM »

really liking the noir/sci-fi mashup here.  Can't think of many games off the top of my head that use that.

Developer of Falling Stars: War of Empires
@ArkisVir
Fan of everything space/sci-fi
"The sleeper has awakened!"
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

Looking very stylish, great fluid animations.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »

cheers guys.

really liking the noir/sci-fi mashup here.  Can't think of many games off the top of my head that use that.

Yeah the neons on the silhouettes really rub me the right way and will be crucial to spot what colour is attacking you in the future. 

As for sci-fi noir?  Yeah I guess there's not too many outside the realm of film, which mostly go down the Blade Runner aesthetic.  I'm going more OTT I guess.

Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »

Aaaaand you've got another follower Smiley
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 04:05:05 AM »

This looks brilliant.

Haven't been following the forums as much as I used to so missing lots of the new stuff but glad I found this one. Best looking game I've seen in awhile so will be following this. Getting a Flashback vibe which is always a good thing.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »

BECAUSE IT ISN'T AN ALIEN INVASION WITHOUT A DEATHRAY

So I thought I'd build in John's first enemy.  A mini death ray.  This prefab will set the basis for all the attack properties of the enemies in the game.  When I build in some defence for the little guy you'll be able to pass through multiple rays like these. Matching colours to applicable controller buttons.  Get it wrong though and he's roasted long pig. 

Every enemy will have their own energy signature you can defend against and the attacks will come in all shapes and sizes. Some advanced enemies will cycle through colours and keep you guessing.  Bosses will fake one colour and throw a different one.

You won't be able to spam all the colours of the defensive rainbow though.  Energy needs to recharge in the gaps between attacks.  Choosing when to absorb, when to dodge and when to attack will be your keys to success.

Night Night amigos!

Skippi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »

OMG, the art  is amazing!!! GodJob Man!
Good luck with this project!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »

OMG, the art  is amazing!!! GodJob Man!
Good luck with this project!

Cheers mate.  Really trying hard to hold back on the art till I hit my mechanics milestone but laser electricity too enticing!

Actionman
Level 0

ermm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »

The art on this looks amazing. What platforms are you planning on building for?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic