Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:56:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175897 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2015, 04:58:59 AM »

So does it just sort of pop out or do you need to collect some flotsam to build it?

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2015, 05:52:10 AM »

You'll need to collect resources first, when you've got enough you'll be able to expand the town heart.

When we're ready we'll evaluate it and likely do a write-up about it here.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2015, 06:30:55 AM »

Nice, I look forward to it!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »

I guess you send out that first guy to swim and gather flotsam?

off-topic: is the starting gender + ethnicity random? I think that would be nice - making it truly "neutral".
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

Yes, currently you start with one guy. You can choose to rescue other drowning drifters or salvage resources for your town heart.

We haven't fully designed this yet,but we'll probably have a mix of random characters(gender, race, character, ...) and 'hero' characters.
Hero characters will be pre-made by us that are special in one or more ways. Like for example a Steve Zissou-character that can give your town a scientific course/questline or a Chuck Noland(Cast Away) character that doesn't need a lot and is very adept in surviving.

We have a lot of ideas for this, but as I said before we haven't really started designing this yet. A lot is still subject to change. Wink

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:39 AM »

After the life raft we added another boat with an a rowing animation for it.
Still lots of work before boats will be fully implemented though.
The coming weeks will be slow since we'll be working on a submission for funding from the government and after that GDC Europe! Beer!
Anyone else going?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2015, 07:20:16 AM »

That looks very nice
elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »

I like the artstyle a lot. Following!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2015, 07:32:14 PM »

Been following this game for a while, but I'm not clear on something: is this more of a management sim like Prison Architect and Rimworld, or do you directly control your character?

That Screenshot Saturday GIF seems like the latter

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »

The art style is amazing, and the setting is quite unusual ! Smiley

Only the water is bothering me, it's missing the bright light around object (don't know how to say it in english  Tongue ) !

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »

Thanks guys!

@Christian The first, Prison Architect and more importantly Rimworld. What I like about Rimworld is the connection that you build up with your small community and your people in it. We want you to have the same connection with your drifters, that's why you'll be able to get close to them, follow them around and lots of several stuff.

@Strkl Thanks, the water is something quite temporary. We have a new shader in the works with foam(is this what you meant?) and some other nice stuff. We'll hopefully have this shader ready in a few weeks.

Also, the head animation will probably be redone later with a script to have the drifter look at interesting things or his destination.

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2015, 02:58:51 AM »

Just want to say, game looks awesome! Feels fresh with this unique setting.
Looking forward to sink some time in to this when out!

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »

@Kaspo, thanks man! +1 for the pun

Tweaked the female model a bit and showing off her swimgear.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

Looking forward to sink some time in to this when out!

Yeah, I could definitely get hooked on this.
Especially with such detailed characters, I hope they're just as unique gameplay-wise.
It's gonna be fun just to and watch them walk around and do stuff.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »

This has a very interesting style! The ocean is a very important character in a game like this, hope you guys can design her well. Smiley

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »

Hey everyone, the last few weeks we've been very busy. Wazau and The_Observer went to GDC Europe and Gamescom and now we're working through some paperwork and taking a more feature and testing-focused approuch to our development.

It's time we explained what we've been up to with the game lately.

To make the concept of a "moving village" work, we've stumbled upon a few problems.
In order to do this we need the village to be one entity. That entity moves alongside ocean currents and is pushed by wind directions.

Now, to keep it as one entity, we limit the player by only letting him build adjacent to walkways. The buildings will snap to the walkways to aid him. This makes sure he can’t build something a mile away that would float away and be lost instantly.

Now, unfortunately, that doesn't fix everything. There's a plethora of environmental dangers and these could heavily impact the town’s structure. Buildings and walkways can be destroyed and as such the town can still split in two.
This brought up another question.
What part is still considered the town?

Therefore, we introduce the Town Heart.
The Town heart is the central point of your village in Flotsam.

You start the game with a liferaft, which you can "unpack". (There's a bit on the previous page but more on this, later.)
This initiates builders to build walkways around the liferaft and as such, it becomes the Town Heart. (raft in the pictures above)
Now, the player can start building adjacent to it.
When the town splits in two, the part containing the Town Heart will be considered as the town.
We want the player to be able to retrieve broken off parts, however, this is a stretch goal. We have features with higher priority to test for now. Until then, players will have to reconnect the broken town pieces by building walkways between them.

The Town Heart has more applications, such as a limited sight radius, but that's for later.

So, thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:37:52 AM by Juwdah » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »

Sounds cool, but I hope you can reconnect parts that have been split off
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

Hey JobLeonard, we will add that feature later on.

We're just not sure yet how exactly we're going to implement it since it can create several problems. That's another thing we'll thoroughly have to test! Hand Joystick

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2015, 09:37:39 AM »

To add to what The_Observer said, until we implement a "reconnect split town parts" feature, the town will just act as normal. This makes sure the player doesn't get his town wrecked without being able to stop it.

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »

2 weeks without an update, I'm sorry for keeping you in the dark guys!
Can I make it up by posting some more art?

For example here are some moodboards Wazeau drew.

He also worked on a mockup for a GUI. We're probably gonna up the contrast of the text a bit more. More feedback's definitely welcome!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic