Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 09:16:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175504 times)
jaharley94
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »

Art looks great guys.  I love the stylized versions.  I'm looking forward to the development of this one.

How far out do you think you are? Thinking about audio yet?
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »

Art looks great guys.  I love the stylized versions.  I'm looking forward to the development of this one.

How far out do you think you are? Thinking about audio yet?

Thank you!

Well we're just beginning so, I'd say we're still between 0 and 10% Smiley
We have tought about audio already but considering we're going to look at that around the time we could obtain some kind of funding, it's still a far-off piece on our to-do list :p
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:47:36 PM by Juwdah » Logged

jaharley94
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »

Well I'm definitely wishing you guys the best! I love the art and I'm intrigued by the theme.

I am excited to see how the game plays.
Best of luck with funding, and I'll be following and keeping in touch :D
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »

Some more work being done on the texturing of our floating pathways.
We've also been busy looking for a nice shader for our water. Anybody got any ideas?

Click for big version.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »

Fantastic idea! I also love the concept art and it looks like the 3D modelling with shaders etc is starting to get there as well!
I know you've said it's on the ocean but it would be super interesting scavenging underwater through flooded towns. Also hope you can implement some epic storms / huge waves!
If you're in need of music check out my tunes and send me a pm. You're going to need more than traditional music to bring this to life! Would be awesome to have a score based around scrap/junkyard instrumentation that evolves with the weather and the complexity and materials of your floating crafts.
All the best!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 04:13:25 AM »

Thanks Leo!

You'll probably be able to send divers out to the bottom to collect scrap and even useful stuff to construct new things. We'd also love to show remnants of old cities through the water. But that's something we'll have to see when our water is a bit ok looking.  Grin
Storms are also something we're looking into. Because seasons aren't really there on oceans we're searching for other forces of nature to affect the gameplay. Storms are just one of these things. We have crazy ideas where it's possible for a storm to rip your base in half at which point parts float away, or your drifters just can't move anywhere at all anymore, etc. Lots of ideas, nothing concrete yet. Wink

We do are in need of music, so thanks for the offer! At the moment we're not actively searching for a composer yet because we first want to have a decent working build ready. Afterwards we'll probably contact people, but as Juwdah said before budget will be a limiting factor for us unfortunately. So we'll have to find a solution for that. Smiley

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 04:38:56 AM »

Budget will always be a limiting factor with indie titles... Negotiation is key!
I'd love to help but either way, best of luck!  Gentleman

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 04:44:53 AM »

Negotiation is key!

Couldn't agree more on this, thanks again!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »

Click for big version.

Looking good!
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

This looks really promising to give a unique perspective on the city-building and management genre!

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »

This looks really promising to give a unique perspective on the city-building and management genre!
true, we have some games like that but mainly with a space theme around it. This is one of "how no one has ever thought of that before" games. Seems like everything is going along well, it isn't really my type of game but I really got hooked with the theme. Smiley

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »

Time for another art update! These are some texturing/color concepts I did for some of the buildings.
We're trying to keep a painterly stylized art style, and since everything is build out of scrap and flotsam, you'll have a lot of different colors and materials in each building.

Your people will need a house to stay rested and to have some shelter from the hot sun (and maybe some other stuff people do in houses Shocked )
The mill generates electricity for your machines and lights.
The desalinator will turns salt water into drinkable water by cooking it.
And the fisherman's hut will give your fishermen some place to clean fish and store their boat and gear.

See you next time! Smiley

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »

i really love the concept of your game and the artstyle of your assets. the flat, painterly textures look awesome.

...there is just one thing that bothers me about your last concept sheet. i think readability of the different buildings is very important factor for a game like that. they need a different silhouette or color code to make them unique on first sight. works well for the windmill and desalinator, because they have unique features.....not so well for house and fisherman's hut. they both have similar proportions, same colors, a boat, small landing stage, net on the roof. the shape of the roof is different, but you won't notice it as much if it's a bit farther away. i think it would really help to adjust materials& color a bit more to underline that they have different purposes

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »

I am very much reminded of:

In fact, its very similar to the concepts. Not a complaint, just notating. Was this a big reference for the art style? It's much cheaper to make a video game about waterworld than it is to make a movie about it...

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »

i think readability of the different buildings is very important factor for a game like that. they need a different silhouette or color code to make them unique on first sight.

Yes, good point. These paints are actually only some earlier drawings I colored to define the texturing/coloring style of our game. So most of these are probably still gonna change.
For instance, the fisherman's hut needs some see-through or open area so you can actually see the fisherman clean his fish, so the shape of this will change.
Also the houses I'm drawing now only use boat parts and feel smaller and rounder than the other buildings.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, we'll keep them in mind for sure Smiley

In fact, its very similar to the concepts. Not a complaint, just notating. Was this a big reference for the art style? It's much cheaper to make a video game about waterworld than it is to make a movie about it...

For the original concept it was definitely an inspiration yes, but we're trying to avoid the typical Mad Max'ish post-apocalyptic barbaric stuff about it. No raiders or combat or anything (for now at least).

Artwise it'll be a lot more colorful, stylized and silly, and were using a lot more wood and plastic, whereas Waterworld is very metal based Hand Metal Left  . While it's inevitable that some things might look the same, were trying to avoid it at least Smiley

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »

The ingame stuff looks great!

Are the platforms really floating or is there a grid? I wonder if it would be fun to build floating isles of loosely jointed scrap platforms that change shape over time. A storm would deal huge damages by destroying joints between the platforms and blowing some away... It would add some kind of "World of Goo"-like bridge builder mechanic.
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:13 AM »

The ingame stuff looks great!

Are the platforms really floating or is there a grid? I wonder if it would be fun to build floating isles of loosely jointed scrap platforms that change shape over time. A storm would deal huge damages by destroying joints between the platforms and blowing some away... It would add some kind of "World of Goo"-like bridge builder mechanic.

Thanks Chromanoid! Currently the platforms stick to a grid. I'm probably going to implement the floating platforms and buildings later. I'm still thinking how I'm going to tackle that, it's going to be a challenge to get that right.
Luckily I love challenges. Wink

danthepob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 05:11:28 AM »

Awesome! Loved the artwork (except the water, I know it's mostly a pre-alpha / alpha stage, but maybe use a different water texture?).
I love building sims with a survival element (a fan of Banished) and with the late disappointments of city building sims (SimCity, Cities XXL) I really want another cool building sim.
Looking forward to it!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

Hey Dan!
I assume you mean the water in the Unity-screenshots? Wazeau's already working on a nice shader to replace that. (He couldn't stand watching that neither. Wink)
Once we're a bit more sure of it we'll show it to you guys!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 10:28:16 AM »

Et voilĂ ! Wazeau perfected our water shader a bit more and added some splashing waves. What do you guys think?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic