Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:35:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 1  (Read 169775 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2007, 06:08:53 PM »

Re: The Border

Ooh, scrolling down the handled for the options is cool!  And right before the start screens, maybe you could see the bottom of the handled, the light come on, then scroll up to the game screen.

As for the unlockable borders, that sounds fun and easy to do.  (This game is going to be PACKED with fun things like that, isn't it?)

Important thing to note about the borders, though!  I programmed the display stuff so that it's easy to do different "master" resolutions (the "master resolution" being 320x240 by default, versus the 256x192 of the game screen).  So, we should probably have full handheld borders drawn or different resolutions of each border or something.  You know, so we can support changing the master resolution to widescreen (as the Arsecast Host suggested) or whatever.

Edit:  Hehe, nice robot!  I'll probably start squeezing stuff like that in for Milestone Two (though I dunno what the goals are going to be yet).

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »

Hey there, late to the party, hope you don't mind...

Before seeing the Mini-'Bald'-Metroid this morning I had a little go at a couple of others with the idea of maybe you could unlock little trophies or costumes a-la SSMB or something. Namely a Quote and a Splinter Cell guy, and some guy in a suit (I was thinking Blues Bros.).

Either way the game is looking mighty fine...

P.S. If you finish the platform engine can I use it?  Wink

Last release: sync::routine
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »

P.S. If you finish the platform engine can I use it?  Wink

Er... the platform engine is finished, kthnx.  Wink

Trophies could be cool.  Maybe more stuff (like Quote) that gives props to other indie games?

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2007, 06:20:49 PM »

How about a topless Derek Yu?  Shocked

Erm... yeh.

Last release: sync::routine
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »

Is that a mouth or a Hitler-stache? Wink

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »

Then maybe he can lie on the ground smoldering for a second.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »

That doesn't look right to me.  Undecided

It looks maybe like flies swarming around poo.  Tongue

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »

Ack! That's not the effect I was going for. Tongue Maybe if I make it a bit more solid...

Smoke is kinda tough.

'Nother climber.

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2007, 07:25:05 PM »

Heh, that smouldering carcass is kind of grisly. Wink There will probably be procedural smoke for various situations, right BMcC? So the smoke may not be necessary.

Another option is to just have him be zapped and then *poof* disappear in a puff of smoke.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »

Ack! That's not the effect I was going for. Tongue Maybe if I make it a bit more solid...

Smoke is kinda tough.

Muuuuch better.  Smiley

'Nother climber.

Right on!  Looks good, thanks.

There will probably be procedural smoke for various situations, right BMcC?

Indeed there will!  Smiley

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »

Dunno if this is possible, or if anyone mentioned it already, but is there a chance that all these little corpses can stay around. Memories of lives lost, scattering your own little adveture. They'd be background layer, not clippable etc. Just might be a nice little detail Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

For the shock animation, I thought it would be cool if he turned in to a smoldering pile of dust with a skull on top; something like

()
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2007, 08:05:11 PM »

Bezzy: That'd be cool. But I think it'd be best to have a limit of maybe 2 past corpses per map, 'cause it'd look kinda wierd if the player kept dying at the same spot like 10 times in a row. Shocked

Maybe more stuff (like Quote) that gives props to other indie games?
Green Castle Crasher ('cause you know green rocks hardest) and Asimov.

Not very good. Kinda diverged from (completely demolished) the style on Asimov. Huh?

I think someone said something about shocks just stunning the player for a minute, leaving him open for more serious dangers or a plummet to the death. (Was it me? or Prom?). Like, shock -> smolder -> crawl. Well, either way...That's real nice, Zaphos.

There will probably be procedural smoke for various situations, right BMcC?

Indeed there will!  Smiley
Ack, I could've been spared the making of smoke.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »

Ooh, also a neat idea would be traps, enemies, etc. that just put you in a bad position or start to kill you, but give you an opportunity to escape.

REPRESENT

Bezzy:  That corpse idea is definitely one we'll have to play around with.  I dunno what we're going to do with lives or whatever, but maybe if you have something like three lives per level, all three deaths would stay on the map until you get a game over (or go back a screen, as it were).

Zaphos:  Nice!  That's great.  It's cool seeing folks expand on eachother's work.

Xion:  Sorry!  I didn't even know you were going to draw it.  Sad

PhilJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2007, 08:29:19 PM »

This is all fantastic work.  Keep it up!

One small note, many backgrounds are black, so black smoke on the corpse wouldn't show up.
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2007, 08:37:12 PM »

Extra idle anim to stock up on.
Miracle grow. bobby boy ross style  Wink 

You know what would be neat, Easter eggs (I think we call those secrets though?)
Sprite Sheet

EDIT: that was a giant pain in the toosh!   Huh?   no more!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:54:24 PM by vitaminNewB » Logged
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Grow Grow Super Fro Go!!

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »

Bezzy: That'd be cool. But I think it'd be best to have a limit of maybe 2 past corpses per map, 'cause it'd look kinda wierd if the player kept dying at the same spot like 10 times in a row. Shocked
But isn't it a powerful statement about the portrayal of the value of life in videogames? </wankhat>

Zaphos
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »

Bezzy:  That corpse idea is definitely one we'll have to play around with.  I dunno what we're going to do with lives or whatever, but maybe if you have something like three lives per level, all three deaths would stay on the map until you get a game over (or go back a screen, as it were).
Maybe this is an idea for a different game, but if you could pile up corpses, and you could climb on them, then it repeated dying could be a way to clear levels or access secrets.  Which would be sweet.

Speaking of death, did anyone do 'death by falling' animations yet?  How's something like this?

edit: in retrospect, frames 4 5 and 6 probably aren't needed ... I was trying to do a little 'splash' effect, but it doesn't really show.
Also, I love the super fro!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:14:54 PM by Zaphos » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »

I think we should have a more realistic falling death, personally. I would try to make one myself, but I haven't really payed much attention so I don't know what I need to do for the tileset.
Edit: I mean Sprite sheet.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic