Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:39:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat gets you hooked on Puzzle Games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What gets you hooked on Puzzle Games?  (Read 950 times)
OccamsRazor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:59 AM »

Hi all!

So recently, I've gotten myself neck-deep in developing a puzzle game for Android/iOS platforms, which I find is a great place for small, snack-sized puzzles.

So far, it's going well, but it got me thinking: What do others find appealing about puzzle games? And what do you look for when trying to find one to download?

For me, I love these mobile puzzlers because it's something easy to do on the go, and it gives a huge number of "AHA!" moments when you get on the right train of logic. I find that intensely satisfying. When I look for a new game, I generally try and find something with an interesting/new premise(no more Match-3 games, please...) that I can basically replay ad infinitum.

So now I'd like to see other peoples thoughts, and see what other things people might be looking for.
Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »

The only puzzle games I've played a lot of are English Country Tune, Alcazar, Gridland, and cool little puzzlescript games. I think the main thing in these is that, while they aren't personal in the way that they share personal stories, they all have some interesting personal touch to them that makes them memorable to me and makes me want to play them intensely at least for a short time, and then maybe revisit them. I don't have a smartphone, so I haven't played any mobile puzzlers. Another thing I like about most of these is that they usually let you finish them at your own pace, you're not pressed for time, and you can undo mistakes (though not for Gridland). I think the thing when people think of a new premise, it's not how "original" something is that really makes something good, because 99% of the time, when you have an idea, somebody else has already had it and executed on it in at least a minimal way, it's the execution. I think this is particularly true with Alcazar, as it might not be a very original central concept, but the details come together in an extremely fun and engaging way.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »

Oh man Light Crusader had some of my favorite puzzles.

I think part of why I loved them was because they were on a grid honestly. I can wrap my head around something grid based super easy. The other side, you might say, are the old point and click adventure puzzles. Super frustrating. If I get stuck, I can't stand it.

Puzzles on a grid present all the information right away. Can't miss anything.

Oh god make it stop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic