Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:31:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessYour first encounter with Press Release
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Your first encounter with Press Release  (Read 943 times)
dakin1993
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »

Hello, I'm from Dropout Games, an indie studio from India. We'd like help of fellow developers in relation to different approaches we should take at this stage of development. We just finished working on our first game with some minor things left. The trailer should be ready as well in a few days. I'd like to know how I should approach with the release of the game from here on.

There's alot of information about the press sites and different places indies can approach to get some news about their games but there's not alot of mention on how they should do it, what steps should they takes,etc

I'd like to pose a few questions that might help us and other rookie developers tackling this big issue. We would love other developer's opinion on the topic.

1) What are the best times to approach press prior to the release of one's game?
2) Now that my game and the promotion materials (trailers, screenies, etc) are ready, what should be my timeline from here on for the release?
3)The VERY FIRST email we send to a website is what determines the fate of the game for on website. What should be the contents of that email? Should be a direct mention of the game, some details and a press release link? Or should the developer first have a word with the journalists and then send the details?
4 )If one should talk to the journalist first, then what should the email be like?

If other have similar questions it'd be great to see those in the comments and It'd be great if you guys can share your press related experiences or provide some advice on how to approach the press.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »

I could give you a long answer to this, but my phone isn't cooperating. Short answer: Justify how it'll bring them traffic. It could be something repeatable like Dwarf Fortress. It could be linkbaity like 'guy spends 100k to make his dream platformer'. It could ride a trend like Flappy Bird or Starcraft 2.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »

As for the timing thing.

Contact them when you have something cool to show. Unless you have already done something big before and people know your name, no one will be interested with just a screen. I guess when you have a trailer is the ideal time.

You should contact them when your game is ready to release of course, but between the first announcement and the release, I'm not sure. I guess, when you have something big to announce, like a new platform where the game is going to be released or a multiplayer mode or something. But don't bother them with every small change.

Keeping a devlog might be a good way to let the journalists decide for themselves what is a big enough addition to the game that deserves something.

dakin1993
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »

Should one approach to the press for previews if their game isn't very big or the studio isn't known or should they directly go for reviews?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:12 AM »

Should one approach to the press for previews if their game isn't very big or the studio isn't known or should they directly go for reviews?

Can't see why not. If you're game is interesting enough, a lot of sites will want to talk about it early.

Just be aware of what kind of content that website has, some talk exclusively about indie games, others exclusively about big studio games. Some only about specific genres or platforms.

BishopGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »

As you mentioned in your OP, you definitely need to have something to show for. You can't just contact Kotaku or Destructoid with a screenshot, unless you're a Triple A or something. You can also ''sell'' your story; ie. small indian studio makes amazing game against all odds (i dont know your story, I'm just using an example here).

Also, I know you're from India so that might not be possible for costs-related issues but I personally find that you have a much better chance of success ''in-person'' than contacting by email/twitter or whatever. For Bishop Games, we attended our first big show last month, at PAX South, and we really had no expectations regarding media exposure. We just wanted to do our first big show outside our hometown. Well, we had some pretty big names stopping at our booth and we got some exposure out of it. Exposure, that in all honesty, we wouldn't have got if we contacted them by email.

TL;DR, only email if you have amazing stuff to show, try to sell your story and not only the game, try to attend shows and conventions, they are def. worth it for the fan awareness and media exposure.

Good luck!

Co-founder at http://bishopgames.com/ and http://lightfallgame.com/
Currently working on our first title called Light Fall
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bishopgamesstudio
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/BishopGamesStd
RaccoonV
Level 0

Business & Marketing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »

1) What are the best times to approach press prior to the release of one's game?
Just as one of the posters already indicated, once you have something of value to show. Journalists, Let's Players and Bloggers are usually contacted multiple times during the time. Some famous journalists get between 300-500 requests per day. They don't want to post screenshots or patch notes, they want to see content that is playable and enjoyable for their audience.

2) Now that my game and the promotion materials (trailers, screenies, etc) are ready, what should be my timeline from here on for the release?
Before you contact the press make sure you have a press kit ready. You can easily create one for free, which has an industry accepted template here: http://dopresskit.com/

The press kit that I linked above contains all the information a journalist / blogger / Let's Player needs. It contains screenshots, a trailer and additional links that might be interesting for them.

3)The VERY FIRST email we send to a website is what determines the fate of the game for on website. What should be the contents of that email? Should be a direct mention of the game, some details and a press release link? Or should the developer first have a word with the journalists and then send the details?
When you are releasing your game on Steam, ALWAYS include a Steam product key when you contact large websites with big communities. You don't want to keep e-mailing with them or let them ask for a review code. The content should include a simple but catching title, a link to your press kit as linked above and a brief statement. Also include additional contact information. Don't forget to also mention that you are open minded to setup contests/events, do interviews and/or help them with anything else.

4)If one should talk to the journalist first, then what should the email be like?
There are many examples on the Internet with DO's and DONT's. Also, don't send a general e-mail but invest some time and effort in it. Personally address them, perhaps follow them on Twitter or other social media. You want to build a lasting relationship, also for future products that you are planning to release. If you become 'professional friends' with them they are most likely to publish content for your game on their channels.

Hope this helps you on your way.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic