Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:50:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsLove-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Love-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day  (Read 95137 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »

Oh shit, I've still got 15 minutes!

Time to fire up Klik and Play! Screamy

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »

Time to fire up Klik and Play! Screamy
GO GO GO!  Beer!

pgil, I probably won't be able to play this properly right now, as everyone is asleep Sad
Sounds awesome though.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

It's done! :D Just need to upload it...

pgil
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »

Man.. And I thought I was awesome when I made my game in a day..  Sad
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »

You are awesome! Beer!

Here's my game! Made in 15 minutes, or thereabouts! Don't bother playing it, it's awful.

[Download]

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »

Wow, that was special! XD I'm glad I beat it!

twitter: @docky
Fuzz
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »

Updated download link with all the newest versions of the submissions I could find is here (43 MB).

Includes:
Coulomb's Law v1.2
European Hand Love With Boy
European Hand Love With Boy 2
Heart Heist
I Love You
Kiss Me (Windows, Mac, and source)
Marmaduke Slam's Love Letter
Love Me
Lovely
Mouse and Mouse
The Magic Catflap
Tuxedo
Paul Eres's Valentine's Game
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »

Last-minute entry time!

It's called Mouse and Mouse. It's a casual two-player puzzle game, meant to be played with someone close to you.

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=55275

Oh, and you're encouraged to cheat and distract your opponent.

Oh.. I forgot: Press R to start a new level.

Oh.... yeah, also the game doesn't keep score. Because.. um... it's a game about trusting your sig. other... or because I'm lazy. Anyways HAVE FUN KIDS!
I like the idea of this, but the switching back and forth for the mouse was a little annoying.    Perhaps the keyboard could be used (like WASD and the arrow keys), and players would have to rapidly make a path for the bottom?

Then again, if the turn-based element is an important element of the game, then I suppose the switching isn't too bad.

Terry, your game is awesome for being made in fifteen minutes.  Did you pixel all of those images in that time?

Also, I would encourage those who played the old version of Coulomb's Law to try the new version (v1.2), since it is much less buggy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:52:06 PM by ThetaGames » Logged

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »

Time to fire up Klik and Play!

Terry, from my limited internet interaction with you, I feel like that post right there sums you up pretty well  Tongue
Fuzz
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »

Also, I would encourage those who played the old version of Coulomb's Law to try the new version (v1.2), since it is much less buggy.
v1.2 is the version in the zip I uploaded, so you can get it there too.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »

I figured out what I Love You was getting towards as soon as I saw the main character.  Giggle

I played Kiss Me and I adored the game's aesthetic and concept, but I couldn't get past the level "Apart". Sad Great job with the graphics and music though, as it's very charming.

Mouse and Mouse was cute as well, really liked the idea there. Love Me was hilarious, and I actually beat it, albeit through abusing the corner of the screen.

Lovely was quite an experience. Small size for possible spoilers: I love how the roses coming to life and blooming looked, and the monsters in the well were pretty creepy. I liked the color inversion at the end, it looked really neat.

I think this contest had a great turnout, especially considering it was all done on such sort notice. There are a bunch of interesting games, great job everyone  Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

I tried to play all of the games in the competition, and I like what there was to offer.  I like how some embraced the theme, while others satirized it, while still others created a completely new artistic direction.

Coulomb's Law v1.2:  Let's not be biased here . . .
European Hand Love With Boy:  I liked this, but couldn't tell when it finished - there seemed to just be a point when you couldn't do anything else.  Excellent art style, though, and the music was eerily simple yet minimalist (I believe it was just one measure, repeated - very nice).
European Hand Love With Boy 2:  I was not aware of a sequel . . .
Heart Heist:  Though I have not yet finished, I felt as though this was quite a great, well-polished game.  I like the variation in the characters.  Overall, a well-made example of the platforming standard.
I Love You:  Very Duchampian.  Like others, I was suspicious of the game's themes when I first saw the character. 
Kiss Me:  This game certainly takes co-operativeness to a new level; it encouraged much communication and coordination; perfectly ideal for two love-hungry gamers.
Marmaduke Slam's Love Letter:  Unfortunately, this did not work for me.  The application was apparently running in task manager, but nothing actually appeared.
Love Me:  Very hard and a little less polished, but if it was made in fifteen minutes, I'm quite impressed.
Lovely:  Probably one of the most powerful atmospheres in the competition lies in this game.  Though the designer (Andy Wolff) would not want this classified as an "art" game, I felt as though the emotional attachment to the ethereal images and atmospheres presented in this was very much present, and very much an artistic part of this. 
Mouse and Mouse:  A nice, quick, puzzle game; quite addicting.  I like how a losing player can initiate a draw (thus restarting the race) by landing on the other mouse.
The Magic Catflap:  As the game designer (Salt) stated, a lot of the themes in the game are personal, and so I felt a little in the dark (then again, wasn't this one of the ideas for the competition - to make a love letter that only the receiver would understand).  I felt as though there was a certain charm in this; rather than expressing love as intense infactuation, the game presents it like the feelings associated with a simple crush.  This is just my interpretation, though.
Tuxedo:  Only the web version worked for me, so I suppose I am not giving this justice.  Though it lacked themes of love, it did follow the guidelines of the competition, and was actually very fun and addicting.
Paul Eres's Valentine's Game:  I like how this game expresses complex themes with the behavior of clumping particles; when I played an early version of this (when there was just one mode with no descriptions) I could detect some of the ideas without explanation.  A very abstract, non-representational allegory.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

Yeah, I was hesitant about adding descriptions, I might remove them again later. There really is generally a conflict where some choices make the game better for people who are better at figuring things out and worse for people who aren't, and vice versa. Like with Spelunky and that guy who wanted an easy mode.

In any case I think adding modes made it feel less like an art game and more like a real game, although it doesn't actually have game-detectable goals so it's still not much of a game, it just has the implied goal that it's happier for the particles to all be together and lonely for them to be separate.

Fuzz
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »

European Hand Love With Boy 2:  I was not aware of a sequel . . .
I put it in the zip of all the games, although I'm not sure if it was for the compo. The topic is here.

EDIT: Apparently it is for the compo.
pgil
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2009, 07:14:25 AM »

I still haven't gotten around to playing all the games.

Coloumb's Law is really fun. I like the music, and the way the sound effects sort of become music themselves.

The Magic Catflap was cute.. Although at the end I was confused. I thought the boy was another player character.

Lovely was darker than the others.. To me it seems to be about lost love, or even death. The flower animations were beautiful, as was the music.

Kiss Me is my favorite so far.. But I'm a sucker for this kind of retro arcadey stuff.

Love Me is better than Halo 3 Beer!
mirosurabu
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

As usual, Czech people seem to adore indie games. "I Love You" was mentioned here.

I can't understand a word other than that they relate me to "Eversion". Where are those Czech tigers to translate this text for me?  Grin
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »

I went and played all of them
the magic catflap: this was interesting. the catflap itself was really cool, and I like cats. :3  also nice spriting here
valentine: this was also interesting, though it wasn't exciting (I doubt it was meant to be Smiley)
love letter: sexy
small game for my girlfriend: I liked the music and it was fun for a while, but it got boring pretty quickly
lovely: thanks to all you guys who liked it, your comments make me happy.
coulomb's law: this was a nice little puzzle game. pretty fun
i love you: i laughed
heart heist: this game is amazing. its just fabulous. it's also really difficult in a nostalgic way (old games were hard; i'm thinking super ghouls and ghosts). great job Moth and Battlerager
kiss me: i like what you did with the partial 3 dimensions. I can't really say too much about this since I couldn't get past the 'apart' level by myself
mouse and mouse: I can't say too much for this one either since I didn't play it with anyone else
love me: god damnit terry
european hand love with boy 1 and 2: I liked the style, sort of, but what the hell is it?
 Beer!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »

Time to fire up Klik and Play!

Terry, from my limited internet interaction with you, I feel like that post right there sums you up pretty well  Tongue

Heh, probably, yes Smiley

These games are really cool! Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR: Great work, everyone!

Some brief comments:

lovely: I love the darker theme of this one - it's really well done Smiley
coulomb's law: Neat interpretation! Found it really hard though WTF
i love you: Nice, but subtle as a TRUCK
heart heist: This is just wonderful, I can really feel the love and care that went into it! Smiley My favourite from the contest! Beer!
kiss me: Very nicely done Smiley Will have to try it multiplayer when I can!
mouse and mouse: This is wonderful too - I love its simplicity and polish! I think with some reworking this could work really well as a single player puzzle game if the levels felt a bit more deliberate...
love me: I regret nothing!
european hand love with boy 1 and 2: Second one in particular is kinda cool, though having to restart the entire game once you lose put me off getting too far Sad

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »

As usual, Czech people seem to adore indie games. "I Love You" was mentioned here.

I can't understand a word other than that they relate me to "Eversion". Where are those Czech tigers to translate this text for me?  Grin
Yeah, I've been trying to find a good translation for the same site's review of Ceramic Shooter for awhile now.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:53 PM »

Yeah, I had a Czech site review my game once a few years back.  Luckily, my Czech friend Jazzuo was able to help me out.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic