Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:46:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsLove-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Love-Letter-Comp for Valentine's day  (Read 95146 times)
increpare
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »

LOVE-LETTER COMP

End date: Sunday the 15th of February

EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT TUESDAY 17TH FEBRUARY GMT

DEADLINE REACHED, VOTING THREAD OPEN HERE

VOTING OVER, HEART HEIST WON.  HURRAH.

[This compo is informal/unofficial, so I guess you can post about progress on this thread or on the art/design thread or feedback thread rather than on the compos board.  I guess there'll be a poll tossed somewhere after the due date.]

The theme is 'love-letter'.  So you could make a game as a gift to somebody you love, for instance, or maybe a heart-wrenching, entirely self-indulgent game where you foist tales about your unrequited love onto your fellow tiggers, or some such other take.

To qvothe the master:

Quote from: Derek
I think a short romance compo that ended on valentine's would be pretty .  Something to give to your sig. other or another forum member or your left hand or somesuch.  Or however you wanted to look at it.  Not many romantical games out there.  And it'd be a good time to do one, if we were ever going to do one.

Okay.  I PMed derek but he hasn't gotten back to me.  It's getting very close, so how about having a level-letter compo the weekend of valentines day? (say we have it until sunday night). 

I figure even if there is a big comp announced before then, a weekend of fun will hardly get in the way.

So, how about it? 

(I have no interest in discussing the theme.  If you want to discus compo themes there's a thread for that (which I do not read)).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:56:46 AM by stephen lavelle » Logged
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:12:23 AM »

I would be down if I knew what a love-letter comp was  Grin
increpare
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »

I would be down if I knew what a love-letter comp was  Grin
The theme is 'love-letter'.  So you could make a game as a gift to somebody you love, for instance, or maybe a heart-wrenching, entirely self-indulgent game where you foist tales about your unrequited love onto your fellow tiggers, or some such other take.

To qvothe the master:

Quote from: Derek
I think a short romance compo that ended on valentine's would be pretty .  Something to give to your sig. other or another forum member or your left hand or somesuch.  Or however you wanted to look at it.  Not many romantical games out there.  And it'd be a good time to do one, if we were ever going to do one.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:20:23 AM »

Ah, that's what I figured.  I am definitely up for something.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »

YES.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »

YES.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »

Right then.  It's on.
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »

I'd recently been wondering where to put a thread about games people have made for lovers.  I hadn't considered it as a competition!

I'm working on a tiny game for someone, so count me in!  Hurray!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

Yeah, this sounds good!  In the ideas thread there didn't seem to be enough interest in the idea to warrant making it an "official" competition.  Maybe it shouldn't be, anyway.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »

come on man, what are you doing to me? I have no time for this!

I'm in

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »

this sounds like a cool idea.  maybe I can make a quick shmup or something generic like that WEEEEE
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

What would a love letter game be like? Maybe I'm uncreative but I can't imagine what it'd be like. The best I can think of is just like a gift card, a touching scene, with perhaps a little interactivity.

I remember that Seiklus had a 'for [some girl's name]' on its load screen. That always seemed nice to me. Maybe it's Clysm's wife? I should ask him, since I talk to him on IM occasionally.

Also I imagine that if I made one it'd be too personal to want to post on a forum.

increpare
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »

What would a love letter game be like?
Hmm.  Danit; someone posted a love letter game (by someone) else somewhere a couple of days ago.  It consisted of a sequence of mini games interspersed with awkward, tentative declarations of romantic interest.

I remember that Seiklus had a 'for [some girl's name]' on its load screen. That always seemed nice to me. Maybe it's Clysm's wife? I should ask him, since I talk to him on IM occasionally.
Dedications are a pretty good idea.  If you make the dedication screen first, and plan the rest of the game with the dedicee in mind, you probably will end up with something fitting the bill.

Also I imagine that if I made one it'd be too personal to want to post on a forum.
I'm getting this as well with many of my ideas.  I like that it's challenging in this way, though.
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:48 AM »

I have an old idea of a "romantic" game I've always wanted to work on... sadly I don't think it's achievable within the time frame :/ That, and because I'm not in love Cry

increpare
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:21:02 AM »

That, and because I'm not in love Cry
sounds like you are in love to me...

EDIT:

Paul, you could also, for instance, make a game for lovers to play (two(+) player game).  I think I've settled on a cooperative two-player game, where the keyboard controls for both players are intermingled, so there's a lot of physical contact (based on an idea from a piano duet, Touch, by Berio).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:33:42 AM by stephen lavelle » Logged
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 02:25:32 AM »

Maybe even a game with control layout forcing players to hug or sit on each other's lap... P1 has left and right edges of KB, P2 - centre. Well, hello there!

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
mirosurabu
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 03:55:52 AM »

Quote from: increpare
What would a love letter game be like?
Hmm.  Danit; someone posted a love letter game (by someone) else somewhere a couple of days ago.  It consisted of a sequence of mini games interspersed with awkward, tentative declarations of romantic interest.

Here's how love-letter game could look like:
Spacebar Adventure
increpare
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 04:22:25 AM »

Here's how love-letter game could look like:
Spacebar Adventure

ah yes, that was the one!
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 04:25:31 AM »

I don't understand exactly what you're proposing for the competition. What is the start date, and will it be following the usual TIGS rules?

shig
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »

Paul, you could also, for instance, make a game for lovers to play (two(+) player game). 

a game for lovers to play (two(+) player game)

lovers

Two(+)

+

Huh?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:54:26 AM by shig » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic