Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:08:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoxel Quest: RPG with emphasis on procedural storytelling
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Voxel Quest: RPG with emphasis on procedural storytelling  (Read 13280 times)
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

Much more detailed/faster rendering, video link and a picture

https://twitter.com/gavanw/status/590884138871230464

Picture above is just a scene with a bunch of test objects which I use for stress testing.  Still have some work to do to get the old objects/scenes rendering with the new method.  I also use 1-3 passes of a median filter in the shader to optionally smooth things out, but the filtering needs to be "smarter" i.e. based on depth or difference or something.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »

looks crazy! I'm really impressed how you can change the entire geometry seemingly on the fly. love it Smiley

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »

looks crazy! I'm really impressed how you can change the entire geometry seemingly on the fly. love it Smiley

Thanks Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »

How?! I demand eagerly look forward to the blog post describing this!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

now you are entering euclidion hype territories, except now it's realer

Can you do animated voxel? the graal of voxel?

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »

How?! I demand eagerly look forward to the blog post describing this!

Haha, its pretty basic ray math + distance fields + cell division.  Nothing really "new" - just using old tricks in a "smart" way. Smiley  But I will have more details in a post soon.

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »

now you are entering euclidion hype territories, except now it's realer

Can you do animated voxel? the graal of voxel?

Yes, nothing preventing voxel animation.  Certain things it would be good for (like water), but not others (like animated characters).  Can still throw traditional poly characters or items in the scene though.

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »

New update with fluid dynamics:

http://www.voxelquest.com/news/update-05-20-2015

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »

"Infinite detail" (limited only by floating point precision and algorithmic complexity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple-precision_floating-point_format Tongue
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »

"Infinite detail" (limited only by floating point precision and algorithmic complexity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple-precision_floating-point_format Tongue

Shocked

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

I mean, surely you planned on a simulation a few orders of magnitude more precise than Plank length?
filharvey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

How are you handling the new rendering method, I would definitely be interested in a write up of how you are do it.

Thanks

Phil
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »

I mean, surely you planned on a simulation a few orders of magnitude more precise than Plank length?

Obviously  Who, Me?

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

How are you handling the new rendering method, I would definitely be interested in a write up of how you are do it.

Yep I'm going to post one pretty soon, stay tuned!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2015, 04:31:31 AM »

that's amazing all around, when the ps5 will be out you will be ready for the future Giggle

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 05:54:36 AM »

I'm very impressed. It did look a lot like raymarching through distance fields in the videos, but calculating distance fields on such a voxel field is just as demanding as building meshes :-) So I'm really curious how you achieved this render performace! Fluid simulations wouldn't be possible to display otherwise.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
slarti88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

Whoa this is really interesting for its technical complexity. Would love to see posts on the rendering techniques you use. But what's even more interesting to me is the procedural story generation. I'm hoping to go after that 'holy grail' sometime in the future  Smiley

Uptil now (based on what I've understood) you've spoken of using AI techniques to model NPC thinking and actions. But what about overall story? To an extent I guess it is generated out of the player and the NPC actions... but do you have any thoughts on making an overarching plot develop out of these actions? Generating climactic situations etc? Or is that too vague/subjective to attempt?

In any case would love to see some more detailed technical write-ups on the things you're doing!

Working on 'The Light Inside Us'
Twitter - http://twitter.com/slarti
Devlog - http://bit.ly/1JPumh4
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »

I'm very impressed. It did look a lot like raymarching through distance fields in the videos, but calculating distance fields on such a voxel field is just as demanding as building meshes :-) So I'm really curious how you achieved this render performace! Fluid simulations wouldn't be possible to display otherwise.

It uses a hybrid of cell marching and distance field marching.  So it marches through a given cell, sees if any objects are in that cell, narrows down the intersection through ray math, and then does a detail pass with distance field marching.

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »

Whoa this is really interesting for its technical complexity. Would love to see posts on the rendering techniques you use. But what's even more interesting to me is the procedural story generation. I'm hoping to go after that 'holy grail' sometime in the future  Smiley

Uptil now (based on what I've understood) you've spoken of using AI techniques to model NPC thinking and actions. But what about overall story? To an extent I guess it is generated out of the player and the NPC actions... but do you have any thoughts on making an overarching plot develop out of these actions? Generating climactic situations etc? Or is that too vague/subjective to attempt?

In any case would love to see some more detailed technical write-ups on the things you're doing!

Thanks! Technical writeup is coming soon as I get a few spare hours. Smiley

As for overarching plot, this is really something that is fabricated from smaller events (even if those events are "major").  First of all it revolves largely around chain of command.  So if one lord gets angry at another lord, he might send an army to fight that lord, which dictates the motivation of many NPCs through one action (the commander has orders to follow, he orders his troops, his troops way the cost of fleeing vs the cost of remaining loyal, etc).  But a lot of it just boils down to personal relations and single motivations, as seen in books/shows like Game of Thrones.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

I love that weirdly bubbly world. Also .. cool to see you've got a devlog here now Gavan. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic