Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:32:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFalling Stars: War of Empires, a multiplayer space strategy game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Falling Stars: War of Empires, a multiplayer space strategy game  (Read 2144 times)
kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:28:22 AM »

We're now live on Kickstarter and Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=387410923
http://kck.st/1ENhdzE

Falling Stars: War of Empires is a single player and multiplayer turn-based strategy game, where players vie to control the galaxy through politics, space warfare, exploration, bartering with planetary inhabitants and more.  It will feature 4 unique races at launch, with 20 different space craft to choose from.

I've been developing Falling Stars for the last two years or so, and it's really started coming together over the past 6 months.  with some great graphical and UI improvements already implemented, and more on the horizon, this will be an enjoyable addition to (probably very large) collection of strategy games most of you already own.  And well... if you haven't already been playing strategy games, you are more than welcome to start with mine Smiley

What separates Falling Stars from other strategy games is the level of strategy it focuses on.  There is no micro-management, no AI to run your empire for you, it's all about making big decisions that have a huge impact on the game.  Every action you take can have vast consequences, whether it be choosing to work with the inhabitants of a planet to form barters in lieu of outright conquering them, or being forced to hold a planet in enemy territory and loses trade agreements with their allies, the strategy can be very intricate.

As I mentioned, we already have a good start on the graphics.  Here are a couple screenshots and gifs to whet your pallets:

Battle!

Galaxy overview

Political agenda

Well that's it for now, I have a bunch more stuff I can share with you in the near future.  Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:02:20 AM by kroge » Logged

Developer of Falling Stars: War of Empires
@ArkisVir
Fan of everything space/sci-fi
"The sleeper has awakened!"
kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »

Another update, here's what I've been working on implementing in the game as of late:

• Wormhole functionality and animation - Players can move from one wormhole to another, and I want to make it look like the ships are being shot through them
  • Technology upgrades to ships - I have some of these implemented already, but I want to do some more tricky things regarding space battles
  • Rogue fleets - these are AI fleets that roam the board looking to pick fights.  they offer bonuses if you destroy them, bu they can also be hired to do your dirty work!
  • Ground battle - Still working on a good way to represent this and make it interesting.  I think it would be cool if we zoomed into the surface of the planet for these battles

@ArkisVir
kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »

I've been playing with some different versions of projectiles in battle, here's the screen shots:

@ArkisVir
kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »

Small update today, we've got some soundtrack!

https://soundcloud.com/fallingstarswoe/falling-stars-war-of-empires-main-theme

@ArkisVir
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »

Looking great mate.  I especially love the name "Falling Stars", very poetic in this sense.

Can you move the ships around the grid during battle?  Looks a little stiff just having them standing off like that.

Pat Subaeria
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »

This is lovely! Great job!

kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »

Looking great mate.  I especially love the name "Falling Stars", very poetic in this sense.

Can you move the ships around the grid during battle?  Looks a little stiff just having them standing off like that.

Yes you can!  We our grid based combat is built on the premise of "formation", so where you place the ships is extremely important.  Ships in the front lines will protect the ones behind them, so you can only destroy ships in the front most row before fighting the ones behind them.  This was our interpretation of turn-based space battle, where the ships aren't just running head on into eachother, but it's like a mini chess match of moving ships back and forth!

Also, we're live on Kickstarter and Steam now! So if you would be so kind as to support us, we'd appreciate all the help we can get!

Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=387410923

Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1ENhdzE

@ArkisVir
kroge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:13 AM »

We have tons of updated information on economics, bartering, and technology, and more on the kickstarter page http://kck.st/1ENhdzE.  Here's a sample:

Choose from 10 different Strategic actions that can be used once per turn, each having 4 supplemental effects that are unlocked throughout the game

Take part in the living economy of an empire, where commodities rise and fall with value based on the decisions of the players

Manage diplomatic and trade relations with planets in your empire by choosing whether to barter with them or conquer them

Gain trade advantages by conquering enemies of planets you have open trades with, while risking sanctions for attacking those planet's allies

Choose carefully which technology advances you specialize in, and research special synergized technologies that combine the effects of 2 different technology trees

Take part in tactical formation combat, where ships are ordered to protect those behind them, allowing your firepower time to take out the enemies ships

Over 40 tactical actions can be played throughout the game, and are distributed at the beginning of each round. These actions are distributed randomly to each player, so other players can't see what you have planned

Vote on more than 30 political agendas that can fundamentally alter the rules of the game, exhaust key planets, place ships on hold, or target a specific player to their benefit or demise

@ArkisVir
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic