Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:47:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsthe tocky game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: the tocky game  (Read 18673 times)
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:34 PM »

( As it is I have to, for example, copy a term like "korrasami" to Google to get the reference. )

korrasami is a bad discourse and a lengthy one. all lesbians hate all other types of lesbians. thats the message. i dont want to discuss it here but you might need to be familiar with it to understand a later point.

if i avoid talking about it here i avoid a bad discourse but with more trolls. you can drill down on this stuff but i dont want to let the baasics in. you'll need to do your own research iff (only if) you care about the thing. exta hyperlinks is extra work for me at no benefit to me. googling doesnt take very long. wikipedia has everything worth talking about. having good google and wikipedia skills is important also.

like your game FREEDOM contains a lot of references to stuff (the simpsons, adventure time, and what have you) but no hyperlinks. it's just assumed knowledge. im looking forwrd to that though, it suggests that youre allowed to make your own connections.

https://theprogramgamer.wordpress.com/ << this guy though is the (im assuming) sock puppet i was talkign about earier. i have teh imposter syndrom though so he might be areal guy. he stopped making the game as soon as i spotted him. but im pretty sure this is a long-form criticism of the tocky mindset and not a real guy. if you guys have time for these long-form responses, why not write them to me and not each other. where is glyph? that guy is clever. i'll talk to anyone though. you guys gotta be willign to read and write and do sums though.

if you have time for trolling you have time for making better games. no offense quicksand-t, who actually does seem to be makign a better game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:47:06 PM by tok » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »

i think part of why people don't respond is bc of the aforementioned incoherence* (also bc i tend to be one of the Posters in this Thread and i had a dead week)

also how do you even soft block a person. what is this nonsense

yeah sorry i dont mean to be like rj why hath thou forsaken me. soft blocking is the thing where you unfollow but dotn block, so it looks like you're following but youre not. the 'ignore' operation. i dont htink you can do it mechanically on a thread on tigs but you can just manually ignore the thread. you can do it on facebook and twitter and google and tumblr.

you can unsubscribe on here by deleting your posts in a thread. kind of a last resort.

im not being contrary, all this information builds towards a point. but it's good if i tell you the thing three times first, i need to put the idea in your head or you wont believe me when it becomes important. mario teaches us this. its the math of secrets. it'll be relevant on alldas.

same problem lizard thread. if you dont understand it it just seems like noise. but i can hide good ideas in noise, also. also, its not noise. everything is important.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:02:11 PM by tok » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »

This is very good:

I like the sprites especially.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

happymonster hve you got a tileeditor i can use? i feel like i should steal all your tools, youre better at tools than i am
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »

I don't have a tile editor I'm afraid.

What do you use for your pixel art?
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »

mspaint, traditionally.
i got cosmigo promotion 8 (bc helm and ptoing told me to) but i only use it for very advanced pixel tasks. it does work as a pretty-good tile editor but its photoshop and i want a mspaint.
i've also tried the one ilkke uses, grafx2, but i dont liek it. too old school. very amiga/c64.
there was one tile editor i remember that was like nes petscii. whatever alex mauer used to use. gallerynes. but it was really arbitrary, too close to metal. it would keep you to nes restrictions though.
so i mosly end up using game maker (for tiles) but i dont prefer it. no palettes no zoom.

one of my classes this semester is raspberry pi stuff. so now im tempted to make a physical tile editor that uses the raspberry pi for input? but i'd need a game boy color or something that i can take apart. i got game boys here but no colors and the screens are all fucked. i guess i dont really need to take it apart if i can plug into it. i can get a gbc on ebay or amazon for not-much-money, but im on a budget over here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:59:21 PM by tok » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »

Some people use Graphics Gale, have you tried that?
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »

its good but its too ilkke again. too old school. need a new tile editor for the new worlds we are building. something like the map editor for THE UNDERSIDES COSMIC PAINTBRUSH, but able to make games other than the underside. http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=161&cpage=14#comment-451405

ai over at pixelation, the rogue color theorist, he uses gimp and his own favourite thing for colors. not sure what its called, didnt look at it yet. i'll look at it when i get back to pixelation.

i want to be able to do tiles, sprites and voxels in the same program. they are the same data anyway. levels too. then i can work on generating all this stuff. me and ilkke both playtested the same voxel editor circa 2010, we were early adoptin - but the dev was a jerk and too commercial to be fun to talk to.

http://www.minddesk.com/ << this jerk.

i told him at the time. im a better artists than any of his artists, but i dont have any time, money, and energy to join a new cult. i did not say it in those words. im already in the pixel art cult and a local d&d cult, THE BRISBANE MEGAGAME, and my own cult, which is LEVIATHAN.

leviathan - spies vs spies.
behemoth - robots vs robots.
lucifer -soldiers vs soldiers.
ziz vs tiamat -pilots vs all.

the other thing is i dont know how much time i have before i get banned on tigs again, and probably for a long time. and hten i'll be dead to you guys. no coming back after three days. so im packing all this stuff up nice. i'll unpack it later if im still here. these guys totally will ban me. to them its just spam. dragonmaw already did it twice.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:27:32 AM by tok » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »

so yeah: for the slow people. what i advocate is not arcade games but sims and rpgs. i like arcade games but there are too many of them. engineering not marketing. i can do marketing, in fact i am better at it than you are. but engineering is what matters. 3d rather than 2d, if we can manage this. if we are to be making sims and role playing games, we have to be willing to consider them.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »

you'll need to do your own research iff (only if) you care about the thing. exta hyperlinks is extra work for me at no benefit to me. googling doesnt take very long. wikipedia has everything worth talking about. having good google and wikipedia skills is important also.

like your game FREEDOM contains a lot of references to stuff (the simpsons, adventure time, and what have you) but no hyperlinks. it's just assumed knowledge. im looking forwrd to that though, it suggests that youre allowed to make your own connections.

I don't mind Googling these references you make, but that gives me context but not your context. I'm curious why these asides are significant to you personally. But anyway if you don't like the hyperlink idea no worries.

That's true about my game, and though I have very specific ideas why each of those references are there and what they mean for the whole (beyond simply nostaliga or homage), I know for the player all that is going to translate very ambiguously. The ideal for me is that the effect will be like a David Lynch movie, or the comics work of Jim Woodring- are you familiar with the latter?

As for a better tile editor, instead of trying to find a suitable one I just use a really old version of Corel Paint Shop Pro. I like its weird little quirks, and the ways I can break some of its features. So maybe the ideal dedicated tile editor for me would be full of lots of loose-ends and half-broken features.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »

the context is this thread, where i have written many words on the pixel, on games, on art, on doing sums, on writing and reading and philosophy. if you had 1000 posts i would point you at the lizard thread, THE MANY TREATISES of DOG WIZARDS, but it is lost to us not-10s. only the strongest heroes can read the lizard thread. SO SAYS DRAGONMAW. but actually the text is not lost to us. glyph's color coded loth is lost. but the text remains: https://plus.google.com/114079145749853302640/posts/Ua5dRLJpH9J
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:07:34 AM by tok » Logged
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »

And no idea what is going on.

But I like being confused so keep it up, I guess.  Shrug

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »

makn a new dude:

http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Quick_PC

use this thing to level up your dude:

http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Quick_levelling
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:30:24 PM by tok » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »

okk, i pitched the tritaton to the board and they went for it so i'm back on staff at the BRISBANE MEGAGAME RUNNING R&D for our own local iteration of WATCH THE SKIES. we run it a couple months back and we're gearing up to play it again. even while they call me mad at tigsource like they call me mad at the university.

what is the TRITATON? it is the nine names of the chaos god. it is a deck of cards. it is a dice. it is a list of any length. it is a quantum computer. i am not messing with you.

ok, so it's a stack of cardboard equilateral triangles. how many? it doesnt matter but i made 8. we'll probably go with 6 for the MEGAGAME. it its 6 theyll probably have to be right-angled triangles and not equilateral. maybe tehy should be square. doesnt matter. those guys are over-enamored of the d6. but i can do d6. after all i am fond of the six sider, the cube, or the tetracube. whatever they call that. it is a classic die.

which nine chaos gods did i choose?

i chose HASTUR, BEHEMOTH, LEVIATHAN, ZIZ, the KING OF SLIMES, the GOD IN CHAINS, EREDIS, the MAD MONK, AND THE ABYSS

essentially: the elements of DREAM.

what about demogorgon and bahamut? behemoth can stand for both of these. the god of beasts, and the god of justice. what we're talkign about really  is roles not gods. I HAVE ALSO STUDIED STORIES. I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES BECAUSE I AM FAMILIAR WITH ALL HEROES.

what about a trinity? i would choose HASTUR, EREDIS, and the MAD MONK. throw in the GOD IN CHAINS as a stretch goal, we will need him tO understand HISTORY. gives you male, female, and non-binary/agende. man woman and child, ladies gentlemen and disctinguished guests. accessibility, but more than this. social engineering.

but listen: you dont have to choose just like i have chosen. what i'm talking about, in fact, truly, is an ordered set of any size, and subsets - and not just gods but any ordered (or not-ordered) elements. card spaces and card schemes. probability spaces. i can do you three gods, i can do you five, i can do you ten, and i can do twelve or twenty-four or you fourty-eight OR fifty-six by RECOMBINATION: RACE * CLASS * GENDER. THE DOOMSKI IS 256, AND NOT ONLY BY RECOMBINATION BUT 256 UNIQUE SYMBOLS MORE OR LESS ALL OF THEM DESIGNED FOR USE WITH GAMES. how many gods does your game support? probably not enough.

you can see how this is backwards compatible with a lot of existing conspiracy theories. can't you? its backwards compatible with the bible and its backwards compatible with d&d. arent the bible and d&d opposed to one another? not any more. the TRITATON makes strange bedfellows.

the classic conspiracy model is a pyramid. the illuminati on top. the stomenasons in the middle. lizard people on the bottom. the ruling class, the burghers and the proles. vampires frankensteins and werewolfs. jesus was a vampire-loving werewolf, but he hates the frankensteins.

what about zombies? they're lower class, so theyre the same as werewolfs.

i have talked about the deck of cards but i have also talked about dice and quantum computers. none of you dudes can do sums so you'll have to believe simply that i understand statistics, economics, algebra, and probability. i understand THE BOY MATH, THE GIRL MATH, THE GHOST MATH AND THE LIZARD MATH. not to mention set theory which is the fucking elephant in the room. what about null? what about the transitive property? do you guys know how to count? do you know your times tables? i understand how the computer works and i can build you a computer that works to any spec. they taught me all that shit at high school.

I THINK IT HAS COME TIME TO TALK ABOUT PLATO this means we'll be delving into my own research into philosophy, and shadows, and not shit i learned at the high school level. no more prerequisites. you guys learn the high school math. i'll be over here talking about PLATO.

AGAIN, THIS MAY SEEM HOSTILE BUT YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAND THAT IM DEALING WITH TIGSOURCE. all gamers are shitlords even the nice ones. even the fucking mods will troll you. mods bless us all.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:26:54 PM by tok » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »

why plato? we need him by analogy.

in order to understand plato we must understand socrates. but they killed socrates? and he never wrote anything down? how can we trust plato?

first of all, plato is a friend to socrates. so he's writing a good-socrates and not an evil one. thats pretty basic. all the greeks and romans after plato give a shit about plato bv they give a shit about socrates. so we will give a shit about him also. he's pretty basic.

i dont know plato personally but he is a friend to all of us. because we will need a friend like plato.

plato teaches us about shadows, about dice, about psychology and about UTOPIAS which is to say, games. PLATO is a prerequisite for any talk about games and psych and stories. get on my level.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 11:57:01 AM »

Not the allegory of the cave; rather the videogame of the cave.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »

IF I WAS STILL HANDING POINTS FOR THIS SHIT YOU'D GET A POINT, BUT YOU'RE ABOUT A MONTH LATE TO KNOW WHO PLATO IS.

seriosuly, hes older than jesus. i'll explain more later.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »

I'm sorry but Plato is in another castle.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »

THE PLATONIC SOLIDS
alright. so plato and socrates. they're kinda the same guy, because our socrates is based on plato's socrates. socrates was killed, remember, because he wouldnt shut up about this shit. PLATO tells the tale.

so what did PLATO do for us lately?

im pretty sure that dice existed before plato but he's the guy that gives the PLATONIC SOLIDS their name so we'll give him that, its classic.

by the time plato is on the scene the classical elements have been established by the guys who come before, and we have too many of them now. all things are fire and water and air and earth. hard to explain. PLATO proposes that different elements are different shaped atoms.

he's not-quite-right-and-wrong about this, but they're good shapes that he proposes. every side the same shape, there are only so many simple forms you can make like that.

naturally, this is what you want for dice, is every side the same. the romans had all the kinds of dice we use for d&d. The implication is that these shapes (which do appear in nature, after all) are so good they must have been involved in the creation of the universe somehow. this is thinking too much in maths. mathsocraces teaches us that all things are maths. but PLATO said this, so it's official and we can use it.

you can see that we still do the same thing with grids and stuff. grids are an abstraction, they don't really exist. but we made them real, and so they do exist. we understand that we live in three cartesian dimensions. and we can stretch out the model so we understand more dimensions. but the thing to remember is that it is a model and some guy made it up (DESCARTES I GUESS) and we could make up a different model to get a different kind of world. maths is all abstractions and models, you can make up your own maths. its a thing people do. just keep the maths thats useful for what youre doing.

so um, heres all i know so far about dice math: http://evilbaboons.blogspot.com.au/search/label/DICE%20MATH

WHAT ABOUT SHADOWS TOCKY

the thing we usually talk about is the shadow of racism, which is why you're not really allowed to draw racist cartoons, even if you, in the present, are not a racist. (this is relevant, remember when that anti-muslim game guy come on here a couple years back to tell us he's not really racist? total racist.)

that is, you can be shadow-racist, which is not as bad but still pretty bad. it's ignorance, and wilful ignorance, which is bad, not as bad as prejudice, but similar, because it requires a wish to not care about prejudice. and it creates this space, where prejudice can hide.

but PLATO doesnt talk about racism, he talks about shadows. SHADOWS is his metaphor for ignorance of philosophy. in socrates' model the worst thing you can be is to not be a philospher. a philosopher learns from mistakes. if you do not learn from mistakes you are not a philosopher and you are not a good person. that's plato's philospohy, not mine. but mine is pretty similar.

so like, imagine you're chained up in a cave and all you ever see is the shadows of people projected on the wall when they pass through the moonlight at the eye of the cave. you've never seen a real person but you've seen the idea of a person. thats ignorance.

so when tocky comes in here and all you see is the image of tocky and not the message, you are the guy chained up in a cave, not me. listen, plato teaches us this.

WHAT ABOUT THE SOCRATIC METHOD WHATS THAT

socrates is not a fun dude to argue with. socrates is a guy who asks you if you really do know what you know. if you really think so. if you're willing to examine the premise. thats his main thing.

so like when a kid asks 'why? why? why?' that's philosophy, thats actually the basis for western philosophy. socrates made it an artform. dont try that shit on me, though. I am immune to trickery.

but you guys, you really don't know what you don't know. i know a lot of shit you guys don't know, and i'll try to teach it to you. I've had to learn how to teach myself though, and that's the point. tigsource is a place where wrong ideas flourish because we are unwilling to examine them. we can do better than this.

anyway, i like plato more than jesus. and i like him better than whoever the tigs jesus is. anyone who can't at least argue like socrates could stand to learn how to do it. that's what i'm getting at. it's a skill, and the trolls on here are pretty fucking weak because they never learned to argue. they've never had to learn it.

so like: you can learn every trick and not this one and still you're not a philosopher. learn to look for faulty premises. learn to examine them. learn how to argue.

END OF SERMON. i'll put off utopias until later.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:45:26 PM by tok » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »

im pretty sure that dice existed before plato but he's the guy that gives the PLATONIC SOLIDS their name so we'll give him that, its classic.

this is gold

the rest of the post was pretty good too

that was a lil more straightforward than usual too so...good job? ?

trying to think of what it might have to do with your game but w/e i guess!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic