Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:09:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNYKRA
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: NYKRA  (Read 150543 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 07:30:07 AM »

Lovely.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2015, 02:02:15 PM »

As a first timer to this devlog may i say it is breathtaking! I have to ask, do you use any of the drag and drop functionality of game maker?

Not at all. I've been programming for almost 10 years, the drag-and-drop functions do not suffice for what I'm needing. The GML scripts are all I use Smiley

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:18 PM »

Is that logo sunrise behind that line just temporary or did you drop the current thread logo?
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2015, 02:44:28 AM »

Looks really beautiful, I particularly love the consistency of the pixel art, it's clearly the same style across the planet environments and the characters and the space ship, it must take a lot of effort to maintain that excellent quality across all the assets. And those effects? Like the particle effects? So good! I think this will be an insta-purchase just to be able to wander through that world and discover the story.

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2015, 03:37:57 AM »

Is that logo sunrise behind that line just temporary or did you drop the current thread logo?

Bit of both. The one you see in the GIF is a temporary new logo, and the one on this DevLog is an old one. I'm still trying to find the best logo Smiley

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »

Looks really beautiful, I particularly love the consistency of the pixel art, it's clearly the same style across the planet environments and the characters and the space ship, it must take a lot of effort to maintain that excellent quality across all the assets. And those effects? Like the particle effects? So good! I think this will be an insta-purchase just to be able to wander through that world and discover the story.

Thank you so much! Yeah, the pixel art takes so long to do, but hopefully it's worth it! NIKRA is all about the aesthetics while still keeping a good consistent and catching story going. It's non-linear too, so yeah, you can just roam a planet if you'd like Smiley

YXMX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »

Impressive evolution of the pixel art. The effects are neat and does not feel out of place. Love the way the trees are swaying, is it just a simple skewing?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:14:12 AM by Yamasakai » Logged

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »

Impressive evolution of the pixel art. The effects are neat and does not feel out of place. Love the way the trees are swaying, is it just a simple skewing?

Yeah, it's just an x-y skew of the leaves put through a sine, using the global tick. Simple stuff, for a really immersive experience :D I'm surprised I haven't seen this in every other game with this sorta environment!

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »

DEVLOG UPDATE #9 - 5th July 2015

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:44:41 PM by ENDESGA » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:53 AM »

In my opinion your logo lost good features of your old logo type in the process and it's less suited for small sizes.

I'm totally not saying your new logo is bad, but it looks like you designed it for the intro effect.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:09:28 AM by Zorg » Logged
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »

In my opinion your logo lost good features of your old logo type in the process and it's less suited for small sizes.

I'm totally not saying your new logo is bad, but it looks like you designed it for the intro effect.

Yeah, I totally understand. But from a design point of view this new logo is far better. Plus, that animation took me literally 4 hours to program   Hand Any KeyDroopHand Pencil

I'm currently shrinking it down to a smaller pixel scale, and it works perfectly fine. I'm just wanting something unique Smiley

But yes, if problems arise, I might possibly change it again. But frankly I'm preferring this one!

Mr. Levich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:12 AM »

I, too, think your previous logo was much better looking and really fit the game.
Maybe it is because of the I - all the letters in the previous logo were smaller and narrower, that's why the I has about the same weight as them but stands out because of it's unusual form. In the new logo all letters are much wider and farther apart which means that they have more weight. Except the I - it's still pretty small and is now lost amongst the others.
I would try bringing the letters closer together to see how that would look Smiley

P.S. I've been following your Devlog and your game looks simply amazing Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2015, 02:53:46 AM »

Levich has a good point with the letters not having the same "weight". Also, it looks like the I is thicker in the animation than it is in the static logo.

Aside from trying out different kernings as suggested, I would try tweaking the thickness of the letters a bit; See if you can get a "best of both worlds". Shouldn't interfere with the rest of the animation code (unless you hardcoded magic numbers everywhere).
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:28 AM »

Levich has a good point with the letters not having the same "weight". Also, it looks like the I is thicker in the animation than it is in the static logo.

Aside from trying out different kernings as suggested, I would try tweaking the thickness of the letters a bit; See if you can get a "best of both worlds". Shouldn't interfere with the rest of the animation code (unless you hardcoded magic numbers everywhere).

Hahaha yeah, there are a lot of hardcoded variables. But yup, I'll take your suggestions! I'll double the thickness and see how it looks Smiley

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »

Better?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:56 PM »

Yeah - I just realised: most graphics you've shown features object with a black outline, so everything feels a bit emphasized and "heavy". It's part of the distinctive look of Nikra, and also helps readability. I think the thin letters partially looked out of place because they felt "skinnier" than the graphics of the game.
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2015, 12:24:37 AM »

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »

Wait, was that dynamic lighting always there, or is that new? Because I just noticed it and it looks great
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2015, 06:33:08 AM »

holy smokes this looks absolutely amazing!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic