Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:57:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCasual games done right
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Casual games done right  (Read 2540 times)
Ellian
Level 0

Procrastinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »

Not sure if that count as casual, but Terra Battle was surprisingly good, mostly because the monetization isn't too bad and the gameplay is incredibly deeper than at first glance, while being original.

To answer your question about what makes it good as a casual game: Easy to pick, feels fresh, not really chasing after your money, polished, and gameplay gradually opens up to be deeper without making you feel like a hardcore.

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 06:24:17 AM »

Zombie Ate My Neighbours was kinda good, but I got bored since the last chapter was impossible without purchasing energy or something and I'm too poor and young to do it. So I've uninstalled it.
I've spent an insane amount of hours on beastie bay and The Sandbox, but I've uninstalled the latter because cloud saving was kinda...buggy.
I dunno if it is "casual" but Pixel Dungeon is GOOD. SO good.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »

threes

is the best casual game ever made.

or it would be, in a world without tetris.

still trying to get the highest two tiles.

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:11 AM »

EDIT: I hate myself.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:52:05 AM by ~Tidal » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:29 AM »

excuse me

~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 06:51:45 AM »

I'm swearing in my native language rn.
Sorry.
I misread it.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

threes
Yeah, my god. This is probably the most genius puzzle game concept I've seen in years.
It wasn't entirely skill-based but it also wasn't entirely random. Very good.

I guess mobile games really are a much more suitable medium for casual games. I guess it kinda depends on your definition of casual.
I think of casual games as games that I'd play to kill time and get nothing more out of. I don't necessarily think that if a game is not fast-paced that it's immediately casual, if I get more out of it than just killing time.

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »

Not sure if that count as casual, but Terra Battle was surprisingly good, mostly because the monetization isn't too bad and the gameplay is incredibly deeper than at first glance, while being original.

To answer your question about what makes it good as a casual game: Easy to pick, feels fresh, not really chasing after your money, polished, and gameplay gradually opens up to be deeper without making you feel like a hardcore.

Yeah I definitely agree that Terra Battle was one of the gems of casual I've had a chance to try out. It didn't bash you over the head with monetization, the art looks beatiful (Definitely a a labor of love) and the gameplay gets deeper as the game progresses rather than being a one trick pony.

It really shows when the developers put monetization first, gameplay second in the casual games space.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »

the stamina system in PAD is so generous that you can literally play for hours on end w/o running out of stamina tho

Certain dungeons can be run infinitely on certain days because of how little stamina they cost, but past a certain point you start losing stamina quickly to 25/50 stamina dungeons.

PAD definitely gets my vote for best casual game, though. I think it's just an excellent game, period.
~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 03:16:15 AM »

the holy derek and I posted in the same topic  Beg
Anyway Tap titans seems to be good, it's better than any Cookie Clicker android port.
Also Cookie Clicker should count as pleb casual game? Because it is and I've spent months on it. I hope Ortail updates soon, the dragon clicker wasn't so good Sad

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 04:12:57 AM »

i love tap titans, it gives you the LOOT RUSH of diablo without any of the tedium
~Tidal
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »

i love tap titans, it gives you the LOOT RUSH of diablo without any of the tedium
AND it doesn't need data connection!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic