Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:21:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBASIC Hop'n'Bop /GameAboutGamingBegins? (+Petit Computer discussion)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BASIC Hop'n'Bop /GameAboutGamingBegins? (+Petit Computer discussion)  (Read 555 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:35:09 AM »

Recently, I scooped up Petit Computer on my semi-new 2DS (which is also a rather recent development); and I'm fiddling around a little bit with it's code, SmileBASIC. The title has plenty of examples, and very little explanation as to what it's doing or how. Some of the stuff is taking a bit of fiddling with, but I'm up to most of a title screen, at least. And the premise:

A date-seeded Super Mario-like PGC platformer I'm simply calling "HopNBop." It takes the 12-tiles-high, 16-tiles-wide screen and produces 3 vertical levels of varied terrain and scriptable obstacles through it per stage, in 4-tile x 4-tile chunks. About all I'm planning to sprinkle in so far is moving platforms (horizontal/vertical) and springboards (for reaching from ground-level to top-level, or clearing super-huge pits later in the session).

PetitComp has a good amount of default material in it for core development; and the ability for one program to launch another program means that I can do each of these games within the bigger meta as standalone projects, then just make the metagame to tie them together... or at least that's the idea.

http://www.petitcomputer.com/sample/

By chance, anyone else pick up and fiddle with Petit Computer yet?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic