Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:55:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPrinted Mars (post-mars-colony post-apocalyptic point-and-click quest)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Printed Mars (post-mars-colony post-apocalyptic point-and-click quest)  (Read 1969 times)
vladstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »

Hi,

Printed Mars is Mars post-colony post-apocalyptic point-and-click quest.

"Chop the bodies into pieces, explode a horse, steal balalaika from a bear on forgotten soviet spaceship. Hide from Omegacity headless robot, read thoughts of Gaylord and decode Golden Mars Bible"  
Wizard
Trailer:

Download for win/osx/linux here: http://vladstorm.itch.io/printedmars
or play online with achievements here: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/printed-mars/43832/

You waking up in a cold cave with no idea where and who you are, walking around and trying to figure out what happened by collecting clues and information from people's memories, solving puzzles and surviving. Game has 3 endings.  
Tiger

I'm basically looking for any kind of feedback. Like design issues or controls or whatever. If something is confusing or cool.
Also if you would like to add anything into the game or have any kind of suggestion.

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:07:39 AM by vladstorm » Logged

vladstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »

I updated the game to version 1.01
Added big font and other things like inventory scroll.
Also updated game to Unity 5.

Guys, can anyone suggest where can I share the game... noone wrote anything here :<

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »

I tried the browser version first. Right after the first "click to continue" message, the game crashed and an error popped up: "The content was stopped because a fatal content error was detected." I've never actually seen Unity give an error like that. Kinda weird.

The downloadable version worked fine...but the version on itch.io is still 1.00 so I'm not completely up-to-date.

-I found the font a little difficult to read. Something like "Golden Disk" looks a lot like "Dolden Disk" for example.

-The "bubble" on the character doesn't really show up much. Maybe it needs a shine or something.

-The exits don't stand out much, and the text from putting the cursor over them sometimes has issues. For example, one says "TO ODY STORAGE"

-I clicked on the "Doctor's Locker" and my character got stuck on the right side of it, running endlessly until I clicked somewhere else. This also happened over at the printer, and pathfinding failed to find a path to the exit when I clicked on it at that point.

-If I click on something in the inventory, my character seems to think I clicked to move him to a new spot.

My main issue with this game is just that everything seems designed to make it frustrating to read the text. The shapes of the letters, the screen warping, the scanlines, etc. all cause issues at times. I felt like I was missing something important, but reading the text in this game was so annoying that I avoided a lot of it anyway.

I do like the atmospheric music and a lot of the sprites, though, and the basic concept of the game seems pretty good.

I got as far as getting the heart (highlight to reveal potential spoiler for other readers). There aren't exactly a lot of objects to interact with at that point, so I was pretty sure I knew what to do. Apparently I didn't.

Hopefully you'll get more input from people here. Once you think it's ready for public consumption, I'd recommend sending it to Indiegames.com and possibly some YouTubers who play indie games.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
vladstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »

thank you a lot for the reply. yea.. the font is the main problem and i already fixed it in version 1.01.
its on gamejolt and ill upload it to itch.io soon.
also the thing that webplayer doesn't work ... is it under windows? then maybe i fixed it also... im gonna upload it today.

the thing that the player getting stuck in things ... yea... maybe i gotta make waypoints but i'd rather just make the player waving his arms like a retard in this case ... maybe that wud be funnier ... i dunno.

ill check Indiegames.com also. thank you.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »

Yeah, it was Windows 7 and you're right, the browser version seems to be working now.

-It said I was logged in as "UEST"?

-I just realized I can drag the view around. I was under the impression that zooming out all the way out showed me everything, especially since trying to walk off the edge of the screen didn't move the view automatically.

-There are a lot of slightly weird sentences, like "It doesn't bring the clearance." (I'd recommend something like, "It doesn't clarify anything.")

-The game seems to interfere with my normal browser function. It seems like it's constantly working hard on something, even though not much is going on in the game.

-I think the pathfinding thing does probably need to be fixed. Waving his arms like a retard won't solve related issues. I got into a loop for a while because he kept getting stuck just after entering an area, and every time I freed him he would walk near an exit and go back to where I'd just come from. It might also be a good idea to make exits only activate if the player actually clicked on them, not just if the character touches them.

-Unity crashed (not just the game but the plugin) when I clicked on the terminal in the first room while holding the binary book. I don't know if it's because of a bug with that object or because of the excessive processing I mentioned earlier.

I really like the atmosphere in this game. The various locations, while mostly empty, are intriguing. The new font helps a lot as well.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »

I could not play the game for more than 5 minutes (on gamejolt). The permanent screen distorting effects give me a headache. In my eyes you pushed the frequency of these animated effects way too hard. The screenshots look great, though.
vladstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:48:36 AM »

>It said I was logged in as "UEST"?
its only should be on gamejolt website. did u use webplayer at gamejolt and did u login on gamejolt? if its under other conditions then what did u use?

>I just realized I can drag the view around. I was under the impression that zooming out all the way out showed me everything, especially since trying to walk off the edge of the screen didn't move the view automatically.
the view you drag separately from the player.

>There are a lot of slightly weird sentences, like "It doesn't bring the clearance." (I'd recommend something like, "It doesn't clarify anything.")
my english is not that good. if you find something you are welcome to write it here - ill correct it.

>The game seems to interfere with my normal browser function. It seems like it's constantly working hard on something, even though not much is going on in the game.
its probably how unity works... dunno

>I think the pathfinding thing does probably need to be fixed. Waving his arms like a retard won't solve related issues. I got into a loop for a while because he kept getting stuck just after entering an area, and every time I freed him he would walk near an exit and go back to where I'd just come from. It might also be a good idea to make exits only activate if the player actually clicked on them, not just if the character touches them.
yea... maybe ill make waypoints and change teleports behaviour... its so many things i can improve... i really wanna focus more on the content and story..

>Unity crashed (not just the game but the plugin) when I clicked on the terminal in the first room while holding the binary book. I don't know if it's because of a bug with that object or because of the excessive processing I mentioned earlier.
which system do u use and which version of the game / for which platform or a webplayer?

>I really like the atmosphere in this game. The various locations, while mostly empty, are intriguing. The new font helps a lot as well.
thank you  Ninja

vladstorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:50:27 AM »

I could not play the game for more than 5 minutes (on gamejolt). The permanent screen distorting effects give me a headache. In my eyes you pushed the frequency of these animated effects way too hard. The screenshots look great, though.

dang... i never heard that anyone complained about this... i can make a setting to turn it off. the the screen distortion... it supposed to be an emulation of old analog screen or something... i'm wondering do many people have this problem?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic