Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:36:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSheep.rocks - The sheep that lives on the web & occasionally rocks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sheep.rocks - The sheep that lives on the web & occasionally rocks!  (Read 1392 times)
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:23:30 AM »

Dear all, Ori from Team Shapist / qixen-p design here Smiley Last year we've released a little puzzle game Shapist (http://www.playshapist.com) for all major mobile platforms. It was a lot of fun and it even sold a tiny bit Wink It didnt really paid for its development and design yet but I am certain to make some more games.
I kept a dev log http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35226.0

This year I am hoping to bring couple new projects for people to play...
This story is about a small sheep that will soon live on the web (web app / browser something):

Gomez the thing is - This sheep.rocks !!!!  Gomez
You can ask (type) it about things... life... lottery numbers to buy (4D for example), feed it different things and see results, there are combinations of items of course and a number of mutation / results to unlock, it knows where you are so if it rains in your place sheep may get some clouds or rain too, not everything is decided yet so I will not list all the details at this point Wink

I will be posting updates here, and on twitter: https://twitter.com/takemuraori
the sheep is in a very early stage but it is not a big project so I hope to have it running in pre-alpha by Chinese New Year - on February 18-19th and then slowly add some fun to it for no reason

Why: Few reasons, its a year of a sheep / goat, so it makes sense that during this year this animal is the one to ask questions to and see your fortune foretold. I want to do something small, updatable, test how fun and nice a web based experience can be, given all the headaches with cross browsers etc Smiley)) I love sheep, people do too, so why not... I love games / Interactive toys that tell you future or let you play around but they are not practical, the sheep I heard will actually poop out numbers for lottery and other advice you can try to take literally.

How: Html5, Css3, JavaScript. Over the course of few next months, may be whole year Smiley adding new Easter eggs and fun things. Free to play, browser, may be with ads for extra items to feed...

What: A Sheep...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:09:53 AM by ori » Logged

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »

Here is me feeding an apple to the sheep today, and getting a lucky number in return Smiley

- Feeding the sheep that rocks - Vine

* As I originally wrote - I don't want to announce all the ideas but design wise (not visually, I mean overall as a product) this is hopefully going to be a bit more than just a lucky number pooping / fruits eating sheep Wink
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:32:35 AM by ori » Logged

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:55 AM »

As it often happens the sheep became a bit more ambitions, right now I am working on the game mechanics and some game design aspects.

Lets talk about silly things first:
Imagine we feed sheep an apple or orange, it poops out a random number, what if we feed that number back to the sheep? What do you think happens?  Gomez

* Many interactions happen via giving objects to the sheep to eat, that is why at the beginning I will leave the player with just a sheep and one item of food, there will be no arrow pointing to the mouth, no text like - "feed the sheep and see what happens".

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:07:19 AM »

i dig i dig

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:55 AM »

Weather will play big role in the game and it is linked to the real weather in your location.
* new vine video: https://vine.co/v/O0bAOl1qZpQ

I am currently working around a lot of ideas and possibilities to inspire curiosity and interactions - one way to have fun with the sheep is to find as many things you can give it to eat. The apple is introduces at the very beginning without any written instructions, it is of a red color - the color with a shortest wavelength is something visitors brain registers at first glance, something that will be touched without a doubt, and so I show the player that sheep can be fed, it also poops.

!!! - I am looking for alpha testers, people interested to try the game on very early stages Smiley 

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

I like this. I'm not entirely sure I know why, but I like this.

You keep doing what it is you're doing, and I'm sure I'll like it more.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »

Thank you blekdar! Smiley

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »

"Is an game/interactive piece about a sheep that eats and poops." Haha you have my attention!!  Hand Money Left Smiley Hand Money Right

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »

I have been posting some screen shots on instagram:

This is, may be a week or two ago... Now - here is a thing, I've been struggling with narrative and game mechanics design for sheep.rocks for over a month I think, that is given a two months in development time is huge, but in itself a month for brainstorming - I think is totally fine.
I of course want to share the story of the development, otherwise writing here would make little sense or would be a simple self promotion that would not benefit others.

When around first week of February i started this game I was thinking to play around the sheep pooping out fortune numbers - something that I thought would be a nice give away for a visitor, something "useful" one can use in real life, and something I can ask a visitor for a favor in exchange. And that favor in addition to spending time with the ship discovering all possible interaction and thing to feed would be - discovering a text typing apparatus and later letting the sheep know what bugs you in your daily life.

Boom - I got stuck with gamification of that idea.
And one thing I did not like is input in actual text, while tremendously helpful for the visitor who inputs it as he or she could have self reflected on thoughts etc it is also, from my perspective, - an apparatus that asks for an extra effort, you have to totally buy into it to tell the sheep honestly things and feelings you have.

So I changed my mind and a concept fairly dramatically - there is no more fortune numbers, no more text input, the key mechanic of feeding the sheep and getting her either poop something out or react to the food - remains. The goal is to first of all discover the goal or possible goals / then let the sheep experience a bouquet of emotions.

This mini interactive toy / game / art whatever pooping sheep was always about empathy really, and I think I have a small story to tell through it, it will be very interesting to fail or succeed, it will be definitely up for everyone's experience soon.

I would love to give more information, answer any questions, anything if you are interested Smiley and I am working really in crunch mode next few days so expect more updates.

This is going to be a one screen small interactive experience that falls under the definition of a game - there is a win condition of different grade (instead of failure I use gradation of success), there are rules and simple a challenge that visitors voluntarily get involved into solving. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:05:46 AM by ori » Logged

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »

New screenshot Smiley

This has instagram filter on it, but depending on html5 performance I do target thing like vignette, I will of course dedicate time to both experiment and document the visual stage, the stage I render not crucial because any good game suppose to reach its goal even when stripped out of visceral appeal...

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:10:23 AM »

Anyone wishes to beta play test? please drop me a line...

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 02:53:35 AM »

Sheep rocks will be a part of Indie Prize showcase at Casual Connect Singapore Smiley May 19, 20 and 21st.
Shortly after I plan to make the game publicly available for free.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 02:16:25 AM »

Here is an early game-play video...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic