Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:17:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMonster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate  (Read 17867 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »

oh yeah ive broken the frill a lot of times already (otherwise i wouldnt have the jaggi set). i was just under the wrong impression that all tails are breakable.

most small monsters cant have their tails cut off. raptors, small wyverns (kutkut likes), tetsucabra, and im sure theres some im forgetting.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »

btw i still dont really have a grasp on which armor is good and which isnt. ive been using the jaggi set forever now and idk what else is worth making. :/
Jaggi and Tetsu are both popular choices in this game from what I can tell. But the set you want depends a lot on what weapon you are using. Some skills are much more important for certain weapons. For example:
Greatsword - FastCharge, Sheathing and CritDraw/PunishingDraw helps with hit and run tactics.
Longsword - Earplugs and Evasion help you keep smacking the monster and allow you to sustain combos longer.
Sword and Shield - Speed Sharpening goes well with this because the SnS loses its edge very quickly.
Hammer - Stuff that helps when bonking heads like KO and Stamina Thief.
Hunting Horn - Maestro keeps buffs active for longer. But it's easy to gem into any set so don't worry if your set doesn't have it.
Lances/Gunlances - These are defensive weapons, so get Guard+ or Guard Up for improved blocking.

I don't know much about the other weapon types but maybe someone else can offer more tips. Skills are much more important than defense values, but try to upgrade from low rank to high rank armors as soon as possible.

Edit: ALSO I forgot to mention but Sharpness +1 (Handicraft) is pretty much king on any weapon. It's the best skill ever. Hard to get but it's amazing if you can get it.

thanks!

i read that artillery is good for my main weapon (charge blade) because it strengthens the phial attacks. i can't even get it at the moment tho (im just slowly making my way through the SP campaign).
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »

Another tip for fishing runs. If you're trying to get a particular fish (like the Speartuna in the Frozen Seaway), bring Goldenfish Bait. Just one is enough. Head for the fishing spot and check if it has the fish you want. If so, grab it. If not, just put out the goldenfish bait for a moment and then pull it back before anything bites. When you do that the entire fishie pool is replaced with new ones so it's much faster to find a desired fish.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »

If anyone wants to hunt with fellow TIGers, Rabbit Rat Casket and I have been making our way through the online quests. We're both HR 5 so if you're around there and want to endanger some monster species then let us know. My FC is 0989-1753-5101.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »

I am also willing to do any lower rank quests if somebody needs the help. There are quite a few I have yet to complete.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 04:20:22 AM »

I'll add you (and any others) later tonight! My FC is in the original post.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »

glyph and i are playing right now if anybody wants in
my fc is 1392 7315 0206

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

Man I played this on the vita (the psp version) when I was living in a different country than my home country and had no one to play with. I stopped playing after about 30 hours.

At my work we have a monster hunter club that plays pretty much every day. In one lunch hour I made more progress with everyone than the 11 or so hours I put into the game single player. This really is one of those games where being in the same room with the other people you play with makes it so much better.

Anyways having a blast playing it these days. I will have to dig up my FC once I get up a few ranks.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2015, 03:01:31 AM »

wow woah i just tried some hr1 quests in co-op to test it (i hadn't done any gathering hall quests atall) and i had fun. players are generally not douchebags and im getting some diablo 2/phantasy star online vibes from it.

the real question tho is, how could i dislike such a rad ass game series for so many years? i must be dum
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »

I theorize that the general friendliness (though there are of course exceptions) of the Monster Hunter community comes down to some key things:
1. It is strictly co-operative and there is almost zero incentive to fuck over another player (the "loot ninja" doesn't exist because loot is instanced and given to all)
2. It has very little handholding compared to other popular games so "immature" players are driven away by the complexity of the game systems.
3. Players have a need to gather information to learn more about the game, which fosters a sense of community as they are taught by each other.

Afaik the only time where it's beneficial for the player to be selfish is when doing urgents to advance in rank. Since you have to file the urgent yourself to advance in rank, other players have incentive to leave the party and let them fend for themselves. Hopefully they will fix this issue in a future Monster Hunter game.

It would make an interesting case study for how game design can encourage or discourage positive social behavior. Smiley

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2015, 04:14:15 AM »

the HR setup is nice, i think. it sort of prevents people from being carried though the ranks, getting to higher ranks, and then shitting all over everyone's good time with their badness. although glyph and i played with a couple of baddies the other night which were clearly carried higher than they deserved to be simply because multiplayer makes the game (at least HR6 and below) much easier.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2015, 03:27:57 AM »

how does it prevent carrying? (sorry if this is a stupid question)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2015, 04:13:25 AM »

because people are less inclined to help you unless you help them. i have had many people hop into my room and start a quest, only to have it completely ignored because thats rude af.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »

I did a couple of powderstone runs last night. Transporter is easy enough to gem into my gathering set so it was simple to get started. Cook doesn't always give you Explorer when you eat, but you can just quit game and reload if you don't get it.

I'm not sure what's better, the drops in the secret zone or the stuff you get in the reward table, but wow. Seems like I'm getting a full row of unidentified stuff every time. Also, Hard Armor Spheres. I love that those are in the table because they are impossible to get through harvesting in high rank.

I might try doing the opposite thing and gem gathering decorations into a transporter set to see if it's more effective or not.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2015, 01:54:09 AM »

Here's a list of all skills you can gem into your set with only 5 slots used: http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2z6slj/armor_question_whats_the_best_use_of_leftover/cpg6m3l

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »

I can confirm that the Rath Soul set kicks just as much ass in this game as it did in MH3U. Those Azure Rath runs with pub players were very worth it. The only time I take it off now is when I need poison immunity or other situational uses like gathering/fishing/transporting.

One thing to note though. Maybe it's just me but it seems like it's much more common to encounter monsters that pierce regular earplugs in this game than before. So if you're going the earplugs route it's essential to have hearing gems on hand and swap them in for the relevant fights. But it's awesome to have roar immunity, especially for frequent-mounting weapons like the SnS that I like to use.

Right now I'm at Dalamadur in the gathering hall which I believe is the very last fight in high rank. We're getting cockblocked by this hunt because one of my buddies is a gunner and he's instantly carted by the sweeping laser beams. Of course we all know you're supposed to dive under the beams but it's such a long fight that we all end up getting hit a few times anyway. I can take the damage with my blademaster gear, but he's carting if he gets hit at all so it's pretty intense.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2015, 06:03:55 PM »

I finally found half an hour when my shitty 3DS wasn't constantly restarting so I went and killed Gore Magala in about fourteen minutes which seemed like a pretty positive note to end on. I still need to take another crack at him before I have enough of his bits to make a sword/axe shield but that's going to take god knows how long since it's looking like I'm either going to have to get my system fixed or buy a new one which I don't have the money for yet.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »

Here's another Hot Tip: You can get Dundorma Tuna from the fishing spot in Dundorma and trade it for Slickaxes in the Volcanic Hollow. It's an item that basically lets you duplicate any rare crafting material like ores, bugs or bones. You can also catch coinperches in that spot which sell for a lot of money.

If you want to fill your combo list, you don't even need to spend the Slickaxes. Just bring them to a quest, combine the items, and then abandon it. When you abandon you will get back all the items you spent but the combos will still be registered in the list. This is the best way to register combos you wouldn't want to do otherwise, like the Iron Ore + Slickaxe combo.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2015, 05:29:47 AM »

I just unlocked and killed Stygian Zinogre in the caravan. I wish I would have waited to farm him instead of regular high rank Zinogre. Charge would be nice.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »

Another tip for fishing runs. If you're trying to get a particular fish (like the Speartuna in the Frozen Seaway), bring Goldenfish Bait. Just one is enough. Head for the fishing spot and check if it has the fish you want. If so, grab it. If not, just put out the goldenfish bait for a moment and then pull it back before anything bites. When you do that the entire fishie pool is replaced with new ones so it's much faster to find a desired fish.

I have wasted my life.

Hammer, High, 2595-0722-4271

Gotta get a phosgem.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:57:13 AM by Belimoth » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic