Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:54:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMonster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate  (Read 17865 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »

Hammer, High, 2595-0722-4271
Added. My code is in the OP. Smiley

Btw I have created a Monster Hunter-themed Google Hangout if anyone's interested. We're only five people in there at the moment but I welcome anyone to join and hunt. Just PM me your details of the googles and I'll send an invite to it. (Tho I may be unavailable for a while next week. Heading out for a vacation with the family this Saturday)

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »

It looks like they released new DLC while I was on vacation last week.  A truly absurd amount of content in classic Monster Hunter fashion. This will keep me busy for a while.

I've been charm farming quite a bit lately and found some really neat talismans. But I'm still not entirely sure what armor sets to go for, and they take a long time to make. So I'm curious if you guys can help me out with this. I will list my best talismans below, and you can suggest gear that would go well with them if you'd like. Note that I am currently in early G-rank so I have access to most materials but not the super-high-end stuff that is only available at G3 rank.

Handicraft +5, KO +2, 2 Slots
Evasion +6, Rec Level +3, 3 Slots
Sheathing +8, Sharpness +5
Defense +10, Hearing +3
Wide-Range +12, ThunderAtk +3
Stun +10, Sheathing +1

I've already used the Wide-Range talis to make a highly effective support set using the Patissier items. But now I'd like some gear that is appropriate for soloing, since my friends are rarely online to play with me. I was thinking that one of the top three talis on this list would make a good start for a set. Handicraft +5 seems really nice since there are some sets that give only 5 handicraft. Evasion +6 could be used with an evasion set to reach max evasion but it seems like there aren't a lot of evasion armors available. Finally the Sheathing +8 talis looks like it would be perfect on a greatsword set, any ideas for that? I already have the Patissier, Rath Soul and Empress sets.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2015, 03:15:59 AM »

I made Nargacuga X as my first G rank set and I'm very happy with it so far. It already has some Handicraft on it so if I wear my Handicraft talis and add some evasion jewels to it I can have Evasion +3, Evade Dist, and Sharpness+1 on the same set. It's way easier to roll through monster bullshit when you have the tripled iframes and better roll distance.

Still using SnS almost exclusively but I feel like I'm in a good spot to branch out and use some other things more often. First weapon I want to try is the Switch Axe because it's arguably the one that benefits the most from the two evasion skills. After that I'm going to try and make something with the "big three" greatsword skills Focus, Crit Draw and Sheathing. The nice thing about greatswords is that you only really need one of them because raw physical damage is king. On faster weapons it's essential to have a weapon for each element and preferably one for each status too.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »

oh hey this game is a still a thing. i plan to pick it back up once im bored of bloodborne (but thats going to take a while probably)

i like the charge blade and switch axe. fighting with them has a really nice "rhythm" to it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:30:00 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:56 AM »

What's really interesting to me is how the Charge Blade and Switch Axe look similar on a superficial level but they are completely different in gameplay, in fact they have less in common than the SnS/DB and Lance/Gunlance. The Charge Blade is built around swapping forms constantly and using guard points to block attacks. On the other hand, the forms of the Switch Axe are much more independent and you can even play with just axe mode if you feel like it. It has sick range and is probably the best in the game at cutting tails.

I haven't played CB much (just did the tutorial and watched videos) but from what I can tell it is the most difficult weapon to use properly. You can cruise through low rank without knowing exactly how it works because it has good damage, but you will crash down hard once the monsters get faster and more dangerous unless you have it all figured out by then. This is one reason why there are a lot of CB users in low/high but they are rarely seen in G. (The other reason is for novelty because it's a new weapon type)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »

ohhh that's good to know. i havent actually explored the switch axe that much, mostly been using it similarly to the CB (i.e. switching forms all the time). i think i have a good grasp on the CB's moveset tho.

btw is there any good resource to learn the ins and outs of weapons? the wikis ive seen mostly just had stats and upgrade path stuff.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:19 AM »

btw is there any good resource to learn the ins and outs of weapons? the wikis ive seen mostly just had stats and upgrade path stuff.
This was linked earlier in the thread but it's worth another look: GaijinHunter's Weapon Tutorials

Instead of just telling you key inputs for each move, GaijinHunter goes into detail about the benefits of the weapons, how they should be comboed, what the moves motion values are (percentage of attack that is the actual damage) and shows some clips of the weapons being used. I recommend watching his video, then doing the in-game tutorial hunt (1 star caravan) to learn a new weapon, after that you should have a decent grasp of it.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:31 AM »

I added some links to useful resources in the OP, feel free to post your suggestions.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2015, 06:06:58 AM »

cool, thanks!
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »

This is one reason why there are a lot of CB users in low/high but they are rarely seen in G. (The other reason is for novelty because it's a new weapon type)

Dude, you should have said that to me a long time ago! I'm not proud and would have switched to something sensible.

The guard points are interesting to use, very cool and can potentially turn around an entire fight if used while charged, but they are such a huge gamble and not particularly easy to time. More than anything, I find myself trying to skirt a monster's flanks with the axe's spinning attack.

What do you think is the best weapon for cowards? I assumed it was bowgun, but I was wrong; playing with bowgun is living in a constant state of low tension because you're always 1-2 hits from death. Lance, maybe?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »

What do you think is the best weapon for cowards? I assumed it was bowgun, but I was wrong; playing with bowgun is living in a constant state of low tension because you're always 1-2 hits from death. Lance, maybe?
SnS is probably your safest bet. It's a lovely noob weapon and I say this as a main SnS user myself. There are so many things to help you survive:
1. Allows for both evasion and blocking. Sure the block is not as good as the Lance but it's still a hell of a lot better than getting hit. Just make sure you are either blocking or evading whatever it is the monster does and you'll be fine.
2. If you do get hit, SnS allows you to heal easily through unsheathed item use. Hold block+Y to use an item, or press the desired shortcut on the touchscreen.
3. It's really really good at mounting and toppling monsters. A toppled monster is a harmless monster. So if you just can't deal with the monster's attack patterns then abuse cliffs and keep toppling it then unleashing a big combo on it.
4. If you absolutely cannot handle the monster, then go online and support others with items. People love having a healer/buffer on the team and SnS can do it better than anyone (yes, even the Hunting Horn). There are three main ways to be a support with this weapon:
4a. Wide-Range. This works with Herbs, Potions, Antidotes, Nulberries and Might/Adamant Seed. It does NOT work with mega potion.
4b. Horns. This is less popular than the others because horn items have a long cast time, but they're great to use if the monster is asleep or if someone else is mounting the monster. Use the Maestro skill to decrease the risk of horns breaking.
4c. Traps. With the Speed Setup skill it's simple for SnS users to trap the monster for a good amount of time. Traps have a low stack size so bring materials and combine more traps while in the field. Might as well bring some combo books too so you don't fail the combination.
All of the above methods can be supplemented with Lifepowder. Lifepowder is arguably the best support item but again, it has a sadly low stack size so you can't rely on it for long. Although you can still bring materials and combine more Lifepowder just like you do with traps.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2015, 04:19:44 AM »

I only just started today, I've never played monster hunter before
1521 - 5385 - 0179

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2015, 04:28:32 AM »

1521 - 5385 - 0179
Adding you now! My code is in the OP.

Also feel free to send me a PM w/ your email if you want to be invited to the hangout (which is where I organize most of my hunts).

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:02 AM »

I don't know why the developers went to the effort of making Poogie, but I'm glad they did

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2015, 03:46:53 AM »

poogie is one of those things that make you think "yep this is definitely a japanese game"

<3 poogie
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2015, 03:52:19 AM »

I've spurned Poogie much like I've spurned this game. I haven't found any time for it because of Other Games and yeah things other than games. But mostly Other Games.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:55 AM »

Enjoy! The cumbersome nature of combat is intentional and slowly reveals itself to be a carefully crafted thing of beauty. Hope to see you in the guild hall sometime.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

yessssssssssssssssss

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »

Here's what you can get:

Metroid Varia Suit
Metroid Zero Suit
Metroid Arm Cannon
Taiko Drum Master Hunting Horn
Star Rook armor
Starlight Axe Charge Blade
Palico gear: Mega Man, Blanka, Chun-Li, F Star, Cha-Cha, Kayamba
14 new quests (including one with a giant Konchu!)
Bonus Palico: Yellow Pal (Treasure w/ Nine Lives Def, Omnires, Negate Poison, Bomb Strike, S Goldenfish Catcher)
New items sold by the Wycoon (Raw Meat)
Free gift packs with consumables including various potions, Wyceum wares, and 20 Armor Stones (!)

Good month or best month? Grin

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic