Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:46:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGrappling Hook Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Grappling Hook Engine  (Read 3007 times)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:12 AM »

I'm making a 2d platforming grappling hook engine in Game Maker.  Please try it out and tell me how simple and natural moving and hitting targets with the grappling hook feels to you.

left click to place a dude.

Right click to get rid of him

arrow keys, x, and z do the rest.

download

Edit: now zipped
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:32:20 AM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »

My browser blocked me from downloading it, saying it suspected the file was a virus. I've seen that with various sorts of files, but I'm not entirely sure what it is that's causing browsers to suspect that.

In any case, uploading as a ZIP or something might be a little less of a concern to potential playtesters.

I downloaded with IE, scanned it and gave it a try.

It's nice to see a grappling-hook game that doesn't use the mouse for once. The aiming seems to work mostly well. I only had a couple of cases where it latched onto a different one than I wanted it to (Maybe prioritize onscreen locations over ones that aren't actually visible, because I'd guess that players generally aim at things they can see).

I only encountered one bug, which was that sometimes if I move then jump and try to shoot up (or diagonally), the hook shoots sideways instead. It seems the actions have to be done in that order, and if I jump a second time right afterward then shooting upward works properly again.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
tpkth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »

Hi there,

I love the physic in general, smooth and responsive. Made me feel in control (on the ground, in the air, and when hooked).

The aim assist / magnet is an excellent idea and it works very well.

There were some situations were I couldn't aim at the direction I wanted to because of the keyboard limitations... imho this could be solved by either embarrassing the constraint in level design, or adapt your controls for a gamepad with a stick.

Hope this helps!

ps: zip it!

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:44 AM »

Basic movement and physics feel good. Trying to hit a hook target while midair felt very hard because the arrow keys had to be used for both moving and aiming. Failing and falling down also take the player back a long way.
Have you considered letting player have 2 hooks, so that he can try attaching the hook while hanging from the first?

Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (Devlog) || Nuclear Rune - Tactical party RPG (Devlog) || Ebonscale Games
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:48 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  I'd like to try mapping the controls to an Xbox controller to see how it feels, but I don't know if I can do that in GM8.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:08:21 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  I'd like to try mapping the controls to an Xbox controller to see how it feels, but I don't know if I can do that in GM8.

You can, but I remember needing an XInput DLL or plugin/add-on/whatever in order to use the triggers independently.

Is there a reason you're not using GM:Studio? Games seem to run much, much faster with it and there are some useful new features (including better support for gamepads). The Standard version is free but has an annoying "Made with Game Maker" splash screen (probably fine for prototyping, but maybe not for a full release). Luckily, the Pro version goes on sale pretty often. I think I got it for $25 or something.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »

I'd like to export the game to GM Studio eventually but right now I'm stuck with GM8 from lack of funds.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic