Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:08:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThis RPS interview with Peter Molyneux
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: This RPS interview with Peter Molyneux  (Read 5653 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »

So it's ethical now to misinform a guest as to what he should be expecting from an interview?
I'm not saying that Molyneux is jesus and Walker is satan, but he could have at least made it into a real and informative interview instead of just being an asshole throughout the entirety of it. Like others have said as well, they've pretty much blown their future chances with this developer now. Aside from a temporary increase in page views they're probably not getting much out of this.
I'm all for ethics or whatever but this is not what anybody should want.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »

Molyneux IS politician, I hope at least this "awful" tm interview lead to less bullshit in PR, this thing is uncheck in gaming. PR that lies is as much as unethical. Also it's not a first, they did burst out when the whole sim city and the sims 4 things happen, they were on that path before #GG.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

look ok

wow

hate on petey mollynew for all you want but this is the most bullshit interview i've read in ages. i'd have fucking walked out on the first question if i was him. i honestly respect him more after reading that just for him actually sticking the fuck around and doing his best to keep his relative cool (and i honestly didn't give a shit about the guy beforehand and even really kinda found him irritating). this interview was so brutally, insanely hostile that it was disgusting.

if you want stupid developers to make better promises, go about making them follow through in another way, honestly

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »

Look also: RPS Blizzard interview.
They asked some PR guy about character sexualization in Heroes of the Storm, he couldnt answer it, they wrote angry opinion piece and boycoted HotS, of all things.

Also they are definitely not Gamergate, since Gamergate is bunch of asses under hashtag and "ethics" thing was about journalists having any relations with developers.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:27 AM »

How do you even start an interview with "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?" and think it's a good idea?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:09 AM »

How do you even start an interview with "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?" and think it's a good idea?

Sense of moral justification can be an awful thing. Especially when your cause is "because he didn't DELIVER on a VIDYAGAM!"

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
peteuplink
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 03:29:26 AM »

I thought the interview was disgusting and unprofessional. John Walker said on Twitter that his concern was peoples money, and I understand that people are unhappy about the state of Godus, and Molyneux does have a reputation for making wild claims about his games, and there's the whole kickstarter thing, but I have to wonder if Walker was really more concerned with his own money and the fact that he hasn't got the game he pledged to. He really does come across as a kid on a forum having a moan because his new game has a bug in it...
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »

Are people not allowed to complain when they've been scammed? Are they not allowed to portray scammers as scammers? Is it really that wrong that John is yelling at Molyneux for not delivering? It's not like John is killing Molyneux's career or image in the gaming world. He's just displaying his anger and the anger of the people who feel as though they have been scammed. Being yelled at isn't really the worst that could happen.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 04:55:04 AM »

You can do the same without opening with "Are you a pathological liar?" and then going for several pages of "You're a liar! / No, I'm not! / Yes, you are! / Ur mum! / No, yours!"

I'd actually read a proper investigative article about how major kickstarters basically end up being a scam, but this was simply finding a popular scapegoat and burning it at a stake for the entitled gamer crowd's pleasure.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
peteuplink
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:39 AM »

Are people not allowed to complain when they've been scammed? Are they not allowed to portray scammers as scammers? Is it really that wrong that John is yelling at Molyneux for not delivering? It's not like John is killing Molyneux's career or image in the gaming world. He's just displaying his anger and the anger of the people who feel as though they have been scammed. Being yelled at isn't really the worst that could happen.

Of course they're allowed to complain. I would too if I'd bought into Godus. However, one should not do what John Walker did and use your clout as a journalist to try and start a modern day witch hunt against a developer, he's not David Frost and Molyneux is not President Nixon. Nor should he sugar coat his own agenda in "the good of the people" or "the peoples money" as he did on Twitter, when it's really his own money that he's probably more concerned about. The way he was making such a big deal about the "making of" book and refunds would indicate that he's really just annoyed that he's not got his backer gift yet.

If you have a problem with a developer, there are much more professional ways to do it than phoning the guy up at his place of work on the pretence of an interview and then starting said interview with "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?". All that shows is that you've come into the interview with your own agenda.

Now don't get me wrong, I know Molyneux is no saint. I've heard his promises about his games in the past, then ended up playing them thinking "Well this is nothing like I was lead to believe it would be". It's obvious that Molyneux needs a reality check and this interview might just be the thing to do it. I just don't agree with the way that John Walker went about it.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:12 AM »

Was John even a backer? I thought he was doing it on behalf of all the other people who pledged.

The problem is that with John acting like he did, he didn't actually uncover anything new or even major information that would explain the whole Godus mess.

It seemed like he wanted to uncover some dirty deeds done by Peter Molyneux, but Peter wasn't giving him the answers he wanted, so the interview just got worse and worse.

peteuplink
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »

It seemed like he wanted to uncover some dirty deeds done by Peter Molyneux, but Peter wasn't giving him the answers he wanted, so the interview just got worse and worse.

Well, I don't know the guy. There's just something about his tone, and how combative he is (particularly about the backer gifts like the "making of" book) that makes me think that it may be more down to his own money than the other peoples. "I pledged to this so I have a right to be angry!".

I'll be the first to admit that I'm speculating, I have no real proof, but his whole demeanour in the interview does look a lot like those posts you see in Steam discussion forums where someone has bought a game but it won't run on their PC and they can't get a refund. "I've been ripped off! You're all scammers for selling this game that doesn't work! I'm going to call my lawyer! Don't buy this game if you don't want to get scammed!" Then when they get a reply from a dev it's "Lies. You're telling me lies! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!"

That's just how it seems to me. I've seen quite a lot of those types of rants on forums over the years. Of course, I could be wrong.

Here's a new article on Peter Molyneux that I just found: http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/15/the-lesson-of-peter-molyneux/
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 05:50:43 AM »

John didn't conduct the interview like he did because he personally had a stake in the Kickstarter, he did it to score cheap points with everybody tired of Molyneux' lies. Everybody was piling on Molyneux (deservedly so), so this was a cheap way to top that and be "the voice of the people".

I wish he had taken Molyneux up on the offer to come hang around the 22 Cans office for a few days -- that would actually have been new insight and a peek behind the curtain of how Molyneux and his business operates.

I agree with the intent of the interview, but it wasn't carried out particularly well.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 05:55:27 AM »

Awful interview. Misconceptions about kickstarter and game dev become super clear here, which is the most interesting part to me.

RPS: OK but do you not think after this much time that people paid money for a product they haven’t received. Do they at this point deserve their money back – isn’t that just basic business?

Peter Molyneux: No. Because they didn’t buy a product.

Spot on.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 06:13:33 AM »

Kickstarter campaigns are legally obligated to provide backer rewards or a refund. There are no if or buts about that.

Yes, game developing often sees deadlines surpassed (most Kickstarter campaigns don't deliver on time), the issue here was that rumors and statements from Molyneux himself made it sound like 22 Cans was reducing the number of people working on Godus and generally winding down development with the game only at 50% -- in favor of Molyneux' new game, The Trail (or Trial, it seems written differently in every interview). With the game now having been delayed two years (on an original development time of 7-9 months) added to that, you can understand why people are upset about not having received their backer rewards.

Also, there's the whole mess with the kid that won Curiosity. Basically, this is one huge pile-up of fuck-ups -- a hell of a lot more than you should espect from a veteran of the industry.

Laserbrain Studios
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:07 AM »

With the game now having been delayed two years (on an original development time of 7-9 months) added to that, you can understand why people are upset about not having received their backer rewards.
Sure, I understand. I'm just saying I experienced about 1 1/2 years delay or so with a Kickstarter myself (Relic Knights). I wasn't happy, but I knew that was what I was getting into when I backed a Kickstarter.

I also agree that he should know better as a Veteran. I guess I'm just saying "I wish people were more chill about Kickstarter".
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »

I think in general people are surprisingly chill about Kickstarter campaigns missing deadlines as long as the developers communicate clearly and regularly why the delays are happening and what's going on behind the scenes. Double Fine, for example, were really only met with widespread anger because of the whole Spacebase DF-9 ordeal. People seem to generally be accepting of Broken Age running over budget and over time because we had clear communication (and a great documentary to boot!) about the process, and the first act was also a good game and pretty much of the size and length that the original kickstarter had pitched. Sure, there are angry people out there, but it only really blew up in Double Fine's face when they angered a lot of people with Spacebase.

The annoying thing with someone like Molyneux is that he seems to be putting out a lot of contradictory statements, and his answers to direct questions are often long passages that end up not really answering the original questions at all. In another interview, he speculated that he got into these situations of people considering him misleading because he (in his own words) is just so very eloquent. Which is a dumb, goddamn thing to say. I think the problem is that he's unable to give short and precise answers. He waffles on and on about how excited he is, and how amazing it's all going to be, and how hard they're all working instead of just throwing up a PowerPoint that clearly shows where they are, what they need done, and what the expected timeframe is.

Laserbrain Studios
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »

I'm not getting a very bad impression of him, looking at his answers at least, but I have never really played his games or followed his history. I haven't heard of this game or its campaign at all. So I probably shouldn't say too much. The Sim City thing seemed pretty awful at the time tho – was he involved in that? I know way too little. Embarrassed

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

Molyneux made a couple of good games back in the day I hear, like Black and White, and populous and stuff. Recently though, he's been famous for promising the greatest games ever, then making games that are just average, like Fable and I think Spore? The main problem people seem to have with this interview is that it harasses him rather than investigates anything. Everyone knows that Molyneux's works are likely to be overhyped.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »

This is pretty spot-on:

He's already doing this now -- talking about his next game The Trail/Trial in interviews and video blogs about the poor state of Godus!

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic