Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:06:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 400878 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »

I was about to ask. </3

Sorry  Smiley I'm working towards a nice releasable playable demo!

If anyone lives near Cambridge UK, I work on Leilani at the CB2 Indies meetup every Tuesday - feel free to come along Smiley

Anyway, I love this project, the controls and gameplay are pretty spot on. I don't know if this has been asked, but will there be controller support?

I have proper Xbox controller support at the moment - with rumble of course Well, hello there!

I'm planning on adding generic joypad support too. I already have a controls config screen so it should be pretty flexible.

That and subtly guiding the player to take certain paths / jumps? (COUGH DONKEY KONG COUGH COUGH)

Hehe, well you have to have trails of collectables to jump through! I'll try and limit myself and not do it on *every* jump.

I really like how Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush has a lot of star trails that appear as a reward for exploring, so would like to do that kind of thing too.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2015, 12:53:37 AM »

Hello!

I've had a productive week on Leilani!

Checkpoints

The main thing I've worked on is tweaking how checkpoints work. I added them to the game a long time ago so they were a bit outdated.

I'm thinking of using shells as a kind of score for the level, with some sort of reward for getting a certain number. So now Leilani's shell count is now stored when you reach the checkpoint.

When you die and return to the checkpoint you lose a few of them. I think the game needs some sort of penalty like this to make the player care about dying, and I decided a while ago to ditch the concept of lives, so losing shells seems the next logical step. There's a limit on how many shells you can lose at each checkpoint so hard sections shouldn't feel too punishing - you'll never drop all the way to zero shells for instance.

I also polished the transitions for dying and restarting, and the shell count display. I still need to give Leilani some sort of proper death animation but that can wait until another time.

Level Select

I also added a placeholder level select screen. For now this will help me to keep my levels more organised and make the game generally more playtest-friendly. Now you can go in and out of different levels without having to use any debug keys.

Thanks for reading Smiley

Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2015, 01:52:25 AM »

It looks rrrreally great (I follow this project on Twitter for months)!!

Do you plan to animate the sky area in the future?
The slowly moving clouds are cool but IMHO the sky still looks a bit plain.
Maybe adding flying tiny (few pixels?) birds, sunbeams, or even more clouds could help to make the sky more "alive".

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »

Ah this looks really great!

Posting here to follow Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:54 AM »

Thanks both!

Do you plan to animate the sky area in the future?
The slowly moving clouds are cool but IMHO the sky still looks a bit plain.
Maybe adding flying tiny (few pixels?) birds, sunbeams, or even more clouds could help to make the sky more "alive".

Yeah I'd like to improve the beach background more - not sure exactly how yet. More parallax clouds would be cool but I do like the feel of a big open blue sky too Smiley I'm also not sure if the bushes are fitting for a beach, I like the colours though.

There will be palm trees on the beach levels (didn't put any on this area as it was just to test the checkpoint) so that helps make it look more lively.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »

Ooooh! I've always loved when collectibles "roll" out like that after collecting the initial one, it's so satisfying. (The 10-banana bunches in Donkey Kong Country for example)

So are you thinking of making these shells currency then? or you have to spend them to unlock boss doors or something?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »

So are you thinking of making these shells currency then? or you have to spend them to unlock boss doors or something?

The shells won't be a direct currency themselves, as I don't want to encourage any kind of grinding (like in Wario Land where to get the best ending you have to keep replaying old levels and playing the bonus games to grind enough coins).

I think there'll be an optional "collect 200 shells" (or whatever) challenge for each level, and maybe completing that for each level will unlock something. Smiley

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:16 AM »

Hey that sounds great! I love challenges like that, since it's fine for players who arent interested to do it can just pass through the stage. Really coming together nicely!

ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2015, 03:51:40 AM »

Love the clean look, love the lead character and it's reminiscent of classic platformers without sacrificing it's own identity. Great stuff.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »

Aloha!

Lava level!

This week I've focused on making this level. It's not totally finished, but what's there has been through a number of revisions and is feeling pretty good to play.

(Apologies for the 20fps gif, trying to keep down the file size.)

I'm using my test environment again, so everything looks pretty blocky! It's good to block out levels quickly like this without having to worry about how it looks.

The core part of this level features the classic rising lava challenge. The main reason I chose to make this level is that I've been worried about whether Leilani's 3-tile jump is too restrictive, so I thought a vertical level would be a good way to really stress-test her jumping ability.

I'm not really concerned about the jump height any more - wall jumping and bouncing on enemies offers enough opportunities for gaining extra height. The low jump also emphasizes Leilani's preference for smashing into things.

My original layouts for this level were way too hard (I think that's normal for any level design) so it felt good to go through some revisions and make it a fairer challenge.

When the player is under stress from the rising lava, simple things like choosing whether to do a normal jump or roll jump actually become quite difficult tasks. I tweaked a lot of the platform layouts to make it more obvious which type of jump is best in each situation, which helps the level to flow more smoothly.

Another important tweak was to avoid placing any platforms with a vertical difference of 4 blocks. Since Leilani's jump is 3 blocks high, it can be hard to judge whether a 4-block-high platform can be reached or not (whereas a 5-block difference is clearly not reachable). When the lava is closing in on you it's not fun to be uncertain about your jumps. (Also see this Suzy Cube article about this kind of thing!)

This level is a lot more fast-paced than I imagine the typical Leilani level to be - I think the next level I work on will be slower and centre more around the various enemy interactions.

Mini-break

I'll be taking a week off from Leilani just to relax and prevent myself getting burnt out (I also helped to release Elite: Dangerous on the Xbox One this week!)

I'll hopefully still have something nice to post on the devlog next week! Smiley Thanks for reading Coffee

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:35 AM »

I think the shorter jump and having to use enemies or the wall to get the height you need will only make moving around more interesting. The lava level looks like it'll be really fun to try and climb fast enough.

I definitely want to play this if you ever feel the need for testers...

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »

Hello Smiley

I've stuck with my plan of taking a break this week - it's been good to do some other stuff but I'm itching to get back into working on Leilani! I'm planning to polish up some of Leilani's core movements/animations and then make a start on designing another playable level.

Music

I thought I'd fill in the development gap this week by sharing a second music track from the game. I'm working with Woofle who makes amazing music, and I love what she's made for Leilani so far!

The new track is Cloudy Caverns, which is designed for the steamy underground cave areas. It really shows off the more moody side of the music in Leilani's Island.

Cloudy Caverns on Soundcloud

For those who missed it previously, here is the beach theme Sunshine Sands:

Sunshine Sands on Soundcloud

Hope you like them Smiley

KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »

The music fits so perfectly! I think its pretty great.

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »

Can't stress enough (have I, though?), how awesome Leila's work is, and is going to be, for the game. Also, did you help program for Elite? That game looks boss!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

I'm working with Woofle who makes amazing music

i can agree with that

those tracks are great
SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »

Great dev log and really fun looking game!

Best of luck!

-Tim

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »

A most attractive game. Great art and animation.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
h.hiker3000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »

Just joined.  Second game I came across so far.  Lots of pixelated side scrollers it seems.  It's very appealing, though Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »

o

Canned Turkey
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »

t
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 67
Print
Jump to: