Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:53:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 409794 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »

t

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »

e

Canned Turkey
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »

BANNED
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2015, 04:19:05 AM »

Please can we keep whatever this otter thing is out of this thread?

Can't stress enough (have I, though?), how awesome Leila's work is, and is going to be, for the game. Also, did you help program for Elite? That game looks boss!

Yeah, so far I just worked on the Xbox One port Smiley

The music fits so perfectly! I think its pretty great.

i can agree with that

those tracks are great

If you haven't heard any of her other work, this album is particularly good: https://leilawilson.bandcamp.com/album/planet-aloha-complete

I only have a handful of tracks at the moment but can't wait to request more once the game expands a bit further!

Just joined.  Second game I came across so far.  Lots of pixelated side scrollers it seems.  It's very appealing, though Smiley

A most attractive game. Great art and animation.

Great dev log and really fun looking game!

Best of luck!

-Tim

Thanks all for the supportive comments Smiley If there's anything specifically you'd like to see me cover in the devlog posts then let me know. I'm happy to go into detail about things if someone will find it interesting.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »

Album of hers that got me hooked:

The Archives of Wyndia

Anyway, glad all the positive energy is keeping your spirits high!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »

Please can we keep whatever this otter thing is out of this thread?
Embarrassed Sorry.

The game looks awesome!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »

Hi all!

Ropes

Over the last week I did a lot of work refactoring the code to neaten things up. I've improved the way that collisions are detected and handled, which has allowed me to work on this new feature that I've had in mind for a while!

Ropes are basically another kind of platform. My current plan is that you can only travel on them if you're rolling - otherwise you fall through them. This will apply to enemies/fruit too of course (anything that can roll). I like to try to incorporate the rolling mechanic into as many aspects of the game as possible.

This is just a first pass on them. The way they deform when Leilani is on them is a fairly quick + dirty test - I'd like to smooth it out a bit, and make sure it works properly when there are multiple things on the same rope at once.

I'm staying away from implementing proper slopes into the engine for the sake of simplicity, so these ropes provide a way to introduce slopes in another way.

I have a busy weekend coming up so not sure how much I'll get done in the coming week - I might just focus on polishing up the rope collision and animation.

Mahalo for reading! Coffee

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »

Sounds like a very neat mechanic! Coffee

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
NotionGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »

Nice!! Looks extremely cute and fun

Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »

This looks so great.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »

I think you're doing really well so far as it is - the ropes sound like a great idea, and look to be well-executed! Maybe you could have special, differently-colored ropes that also function as springs (where they launch you higher if you jump on them), or maybe ropes could be flammable to allow them to have some more puzzle applications. Just some food for thought.

Anyway, nice work so far!

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »

Something that would be cool is if there was a boss battle where you have to outrun the boss by rolling on ropes, jumping to different ropes, etc.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »

This game is coming together so well! I think that the suggestions about the ropes sound pretty cool. Any chance of a demo?

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2015, 05:56:16 AM »

Ooh thanks everyone for the comments Smiley Things have gone slowly recently but I should be getting back into development this week.

I think you're doing really well so far as it is - the ropes sound like a great idea, and look to be well-executed! Maybe you could have special, differently-colored ropes that also function as springs (where they launch you higher if you jump on them), or maybe ropes could be flammable to allow them to have some more puzzle applications. Just some food for thought.

I'm thinking about making all ropes (or vines, wires, cables, etc) spring the player higher, as it just seems to make sense especially now I've given them a bouncy anim when you jump off.

I don't want to take the game in too much of a puzzly direction, but flammable ropes is quite a nice idea for making them single-use or something like that. Also I could add classic moving obstacles to the ropes, like electric sparks moving along wires or something. Thanks for the suggestion Smiley

Something that would be cool is if there was a boss battle where you have to outrun the boss by rolling on ropes, jumping to different ropes, etc.

Yeah that would be great Smiley I'd love to do a chase sequence and ropes would definitely feature in it.

This game is coming together so well! I think that the suggestions about the ropes sound pretty cool. Any chance of a demo?

I'm working towards it! I don't want to release anything that's not worth playing, so am spending a lot of time on it. At the moment I'm still working on level designs which should eventually form the demo levels.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

Amazing, really. So clean and vibrant. The roll mechanic looks like SO much fun. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't just a little jealous! But I can't wait to see what you come up with next.  CoffeeHand Metal Right

EditinLuv
Level 0

Menace with Grace

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »

the animations in this game look incredible (the kick) Wizard

click to for devlog
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »

Hi all!

Progress has felt a bit slow recently, but I've begun to pick the pace back up this week.

Spiky Snail Enemy

Here's a first pass at a new enemy - I'm working on a new level and I really wanted to see what I can do with an enemy that's big and dangerous. This spiky snail will roll at Leilani when it sees her, and is covered in spikes so any contact with it is bad.

I need to do more work on the alert phase to indicate that the snail has noticed you and is about to charge - this is early days yet.

I'd also like to experiment with the idea of the creature inside the shell coming out of it - maybe when it hits a wall the shell will shatter and release whatever is inside.

You can also see the springiness that I added to the ropes!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »

You probably want it to be some kind of whelk or crab or something, but that little eye ball makes me wish there was a slightly spooky, but generally comedic, Sadoko like mermaid inside of that shell.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2015, 09:12:27 PM »

A good '!' over the snail's head when it sees you might do the trick. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2015, 05:45:01 AM »

This put a HUGE smile on my face: https://twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG/status/667616445392683008?s=09

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic