Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:31:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSeq Breaker - A Retro Modernized Metroidvania
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seq Breaker - A Retro Modernized Metroidvania  (Read 4941 times)
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

Seq Breaker (previously Sequence Breaker) is a Metroidvania shooter with a minimalist aesthetic.

However, you can break the natural Metroidvania progression by finding and abusing bugs/quirks in the engine to get items and access places before you should be able to and do what seems impossible.

For example:

Don't worry, there are plenty of other puzzles in the gifs if you look hard enough, and the ones shown aren't really that difficult compared to what I'm planning for later.

Also, don't worry; those fake blocks aren't counted as or required for puzzles. They are also only necessary to use when the player is tricked into finding out about them somehow.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:18:30 PM by The Translocator » Logged

DwarvenArtisan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »

Some very interesting mechanics! I also like the kind of minimalistic style. Will be fun to see with what playable bugs you come up with and how you implement them!

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

Here's what it looks like when you aren't breaking the game

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:05:41 PM by The Translocator » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

Is your goal to make puzzles that must be solved by utilizing the bugs, or will the bugs be used optionally to sequence break for better times/secret endings? Will the game teach the player to use the bugs via tutorials, or is it up to the player to find them?

Either way, the concept seems solid and sounds like something I'd play/buy.

The minimalist style doesn't seem to resonate with me, though. Part of the fun in a metroidvania is exploring, and lots of generally identical rooms take away part of the joy of passing obstacles to find new places. Do you intend to make the rooms more detailed and varied in the final game?
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:06:06 PM by The Translocator » Logged

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »

Archive post:

This a collection of earlier posts, which will probably expand as I get more new content to show. For updated details and GIFs see the opening post.

Sequence Breaker is a Metroidvania in which the levels are actively designed to be broken using bugs in the game engine- bugs that actually DO occur while I'm making the game, but polished such that they become almost user-friendly.

I had been making the game in one giant room using a very strange formula for gravity, but I rewrote the code and started from scratch about 2 weeks ago.

I've mostly been working on making sure basic features aren't too broken.

Some gifs of my progress so far
Moving platforms

Rockets

High Jump

Dash

Chaser drone

Screen wrapping

Bullet saving (I'll probably limit the player to 3 bullets onscreen at once so this won't be quite as useful as it seems)

Firing bullets onto screens you aren't on yet

Going crazy

Basically I'm making a game that's giving me as much enjoyment to play myself as I want it to for the players.

Since I'm only half-designing the bug-related puzzles in the game and finding out about the possibilities for myself as I go, I get to see for myself what's interesting and what's not, what's surprising and what's not, etc. Hopefully it's half as enjoyable to the player as it already has been for me.

Here's a quick example of what a simple puzzle could look like in the game...

All this is intended to do is show the general idea of the primary moving platform bug, NOT the way the puzzle level design will be handled. It took less than 3 minutes to do that because it doesn't have any level elements that give the moving platforms a non-bug related purpose.

You can always go up through the platform by touching the side that's going forwards while it's coming out of the cannon or hitting a wall. That will only be useful for more than a slight jump boost when there's a ceiling directly above these places.

There will be more than one bug per game object, though, because the bugs stem from how they interact (or don't interact). For example, if I have some type of reverse gravity item eventually (it is a metroidvania, after all) then you could jump into one of the moving platforms that's on the floor and it will act like it's on the ceiling.
Shocked

As of right now I'm leaning more towards teaching the player the basic concept for each MAJOR bug but leaving the MINOR bugs up to the player to find. The moving platform bug is one that would fall under the major category and likely be taught to the player. As far as tutorials I'm going to try to make it non-textual, because nobody ever reads the text. The bugs will NOT be required to complete the game except in the case of major bugs that I do decide to teach the player. They will be sequence breaking to complete the game in less time and, more imporartantly, with fewer items.

I'm planning on having different areas in the game with different enemies, gimmicks, tilesets, themes, etc. so don't worry about the lack of progression.
For example, lava or water would be a little out of place in that lab-like setting.

Edit: Here's a first pass of an area with a Matrix-esque theme.

Note that the entrance and exit doors are at basically the same place in all the levels right now only because that makes it easier to shift them around for testing purposes- different exit doors will mean more verticality and lend more interest to level layout.

Experimenting with enemies that are more of a threat on their own.

Implemented dashing. (Replacement for the dashing before, now it's actually fun to use.) You can only dash once off the ground then you have to touch the ground again. In addition to allowing you to clear larger gaps, it lets you move while ducking (similar to sliding in Megaman in that regard)

There is one bug-esque feature that I very much doubt anyone will guess.
(Note that the room layout won't be so... um... incorrect once I start actually making the level layout. It's just connected test rooms right now so some rooms are connected in odd ways. Except maybe in one area designed around it.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:30:34 PM by The Translocator » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »

the gameplay seems good. not sure about the bug-using mechanic though :/
might be fun, if the bugs will be obvious and fun to control, but idk.
i hope it's not a lazy excuse to not fix everything  Grin Coffee
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »

From a design stand-point, metroidvanias require so much planning and polishing on a level-design and mechanical level that I just can't see how using bugs would work.

How do you plan for anything while making this game? I hope you manage to make it work. Because as much as it might sound like a novelty, I'm really puzzled by the whole concept.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »

i hope it's not a lazy excuse to not fix everything  Grin
If it was a lazy excuse to not fix everything I wouldn't have spent a whole day fixing screen wrapping. It's more of a  way to give the game depth.
Level 1 of play: action gameplay
Level 2 of play: strategic gameplay (less risky behavior, more thinking)
Level 3 of play: experimental gameplay (figuring out how game mechanics interact)
Level 4 of play: meta gameplay (playing the game differently than the way you're supposed to by using quirks and bugs)
It's similar to what Super Metroid did, only I'm trying to make the bugs less like secrets and more like puzzles (when, not how, to use them)

From a design stand-point, metroidvanias require so much planning and polishing on a level-design and mechanical level that I just can't see how using bugs would work.
I am still going to be planning and polishing, but it's planning and polishing for multiple possible paths- no different in that regard from a game like Megaman that lets you choose the path you want. The difference is that I'm not giving you the explicit option to choose a different path, you have to figure out a way. Yes, there will be paths I didn't even intend. But that's what makes it real Sequence Breaking instead of just secrets.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:22:41 AM »

What's the difference between that and an actual broken game then? The intent?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »

Yes, those mechanics do look interesting and I love the name as well.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »

Bump cause this looks cool!

As far as tutorials I'm going to try to make it non-textual, because nobody ever reads the text. The bugs will NOT be required to complete the game except in the case of major bugs that I do decide to teach the player.

Super Metroid is the great teacher here, the entire game itself practically one extended, textless tutorial. Do use as little text as possible!

Game looks great, love the concept Smiley

What's the difference between that and an actual broken game then? The intent?

Hey, games using bugs as valid mechanics is nothing new... The entire competitive playstyle in Gunz was nothing but exploiting bugs in the engine (and it was pretty fun,) not to mention the original combo mechanic in SF2 was a bug itself!

I do think the intent is everything. A game built to use exploitable bugs is no stranger than designer distressed jeans :p

lobstersteve
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »

i would like to see it progressing further Wink
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »

Water, nest-rollers, vertical rooms, and locked doors

Also: Do you think this would be a big enough demo?  Wink
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:27:14 PM by The Translocator » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 11:46:12 PM »

Hey, the level design looks really fun and well thought out  Smiley
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »

Thanks. It's really difficult to have game-breaking puzzles, interesting gameplay, and good textless tutorials in one room, but I'm doing my best.

On a completely different note, I finally wrote a candidate for a music theme.

https://soundcloud.com/absolute-segment/seq-breaker-theme

Update: Due to real-life-stuff, not getting a lot of time to work on much of anything- and I don't want to accidentally write *real* spaghetti code. So, for the time being, I'm working on another, smaller and less interconnected project. Will continue work on this as soon as it's realistic to do so.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:20:57 PM by The Translocator » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic