Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:47:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Generating a NavMesh / Point Graph for 2D Procedural Platformer Levels
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Generating a NavMesh / Point Graph for 2D Procedural Platformer Levels  (Read 2380 times)
JekasG
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create an algorithm which handles a NavMesh / Point Graph Generation for 2D Procedural Platforms Level in Unity3D.
The reason why i say NavMesh / Point Graph is because i dont know for sure which one would be better for my 2D Procedural Platform Levels.

What i believe is that Point Graph would be better.

The major things i think i would have to face are;
- Navigating through the Platforms
- Jumping from a platform to another

I have read through the basics of Pathfinding;
- http://arongranberg.com/astar/features#
- http://www.redblobgames.com/

Although i have never made a Pathfinding System and my coding skills arent all that good, but i am willing to learn. Please, if possible could you guys reply with simple English. I dont understand the complicated terms. Thanks in advance for that.

So this is what i have in mind. SInce i know how to say it in theory i dont know how to put it in code. So please, give me advises, criticisms and most of all new theories. Since i already have a working Procedural Platform Generator, I plan to work from that.
From that Point Graph, I plan to generate Points above the Platforms, on each end. So the AI knows where it can navigate.
Once it can navigation from one end of the Platform to another. Its time to implement Jumping.
So to do so, i plan to Raycast some Math Trajectories. So when the Raycast has hit the next platform ( in some way , i havent figured out exactly how ) and it needs to jump to the next platform. Then it will jump.

Some slight problems i have right now are;
- Generating the Grid to do the Pathfinding ( Main Problem )
I know for normal Pathfinding, Normals Linear Grids are used. But i am certain that for my situation i cant use that.
So how can i generate my Graph ?
Please include some algorithms
- How is jumping done ? ( Major - Minor Problem )
Am i to program some code for the computer to input some buttons so the AI will jump ?
- How can i perfectly do the Trajectories ? ( Major - Minor Problem )
- How are cost / weight calculated ? ( Minor Problem )

Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated.
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:17:08 AM »

If you've never made a pathfinding algorithm start with something simple. Something like a simple top-down grid to navigate through with a point graph. First try to understand the way navigation graphs and A* work in isolation of any fluff. A good tutorial on that has been made by quill18 on his channel:

First understand the basics, then go on to more complex things.
JekasG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »

Yes i understand that i need to learn from the basics.
But after learning from the basics it still doesnt help me at all.
Especially using a Point Graph
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »

I think Layl's point is that you shouldn't run before you can walk, or even crawl. Pathfinding for procedurally generated platformer is complicated and as far as I know, hasn't ever been done well at all. Ever (correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, "i have never made a Pathfinding System and my coding skills arent all that good" is a bad sign. Implementing the A* algorithm is going to be your first step whether you're looking at platformers or a top-down RPG. Start there.

I only replied because I started a series that hopes to be something similar to what your'e after.

Part 1: http://zackbellgames.com/2015/02/15/pathfinding-pt-1/

Part 2: http://zackbellgames.com/2015/02/16/pathfinding-pt-2/

Part 3 will hopefully be up tonight or tomorrow.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »

Well, I'll just say that pathfinding for platformers (at least standard left->right Mario style platformers) is essentially a solved problem (see Robin Baumgarten's work

).  But in the scheme of crawl/walk/run that's running and you are at a crawl, so check out Zack's stuff (or any of the other countless A* tutorials).  A* is simply a graph search method (although I feel like it's commonly thought of as a grid search method in the indie game AI world) and is just about the best (although it typically requires a pretty tight heuristic to get good results, and doesn't do well with probabilistic or hidden information [see Monte Carlo Tree Search for work there]).
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

The infinite mario thing doesn't look very far ahead. It couldn't pathfind through a whole level, I think.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

If that only would be so simple for my Super Metroid Tournament...

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »

The infinite mario thing doesn't look very far ahead. It couldn't pathfind through a whole level, I think.

Well, it's a function of how the competition operated.  The AI was only given a local window (i.e. what it could "see" on the screen, although it wasn't doing any sort of vision).  Moreover, the infinite mario level generation is pretty simple and doesn't produce any dead ends.  That being said, it would be pretty trivial to include dead ends and a memory of what has been seen for more "global" level pathfinding.  Other than that, it's just an issue of time and memory (and the fidelity that one cares to model the pathfinding).  It does it's A* pathfinding at the frame level, which is probably overkill for most pathfinding, as one can typically do high level pathfinding and then rely on steering for low level motion.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »

Well, precisely. The infinite mario frame-by-frame is only good for the local bits - you'd have to add in a high level path finding on top of it - in other words, it doesn't really tell you anything about how to efficiently path find for platfomers.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic