Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:51:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignZelda-like mechanics discussion.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zelda-like mechanics discussion.  (Read 1340 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »

Taking a Zelda-like approach to a reimagined Gentrieve; and looking for the kinds of mechanics that will contribute the most with the least amount of trouble to implement... in a way that takes the Zelda experience, strips it of superfluous bullcrap like cutting the grass or digging ditches for rupees and hearts, and focusing on tools made for terrain-destruction/exploration and usefulness in combat with foes.

So far the toolbox includes:

Swords (and maybe some weapon variants)
Boomerang
Bombs*
Bow*
Candle*
Flute
Hookshot
LifeWater
Wand*  //I'm a dum; the bow serves the exact same purpose!!
ItemFinder* (ala PokeMon)
MagicMirror* (toggles your position with a portal)
Jumper (pogo stick, maybe?)
Dasher

*items consume MP

Map/Compass
PowerGlove
Ladder
Raft
Shields (operate when standing still/not attacking, "Pong Shield" reflects projectiles, "Guardian Shield" is like a little-shield behind you)

Spellbooks (for the bow) (beam attacks with effects that stack, like Super Metroid lasers)
-Basic Shot (included with Wand)
-Burst Shot (shoots 3x rapidly per press)
-Spread Shot (shoots shots in +/- 8 degree directions)
-Bank Shot (bouncy!)
-Beam Shot (makes it a line/laser instead of a ball)
-Freeze Shot (slows enemy movement momentarily)
-Money Shot (wins against the final boss)

Money
Keys
Hearts/Containers
Stars/Containers

...suggestions? Still trying to keep everything as straightforward to implement as possible.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:46:16 PM by baconman » Logged

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »

If what you're looking for is a "Zelda-clone" with a more trimmed down set of tools and moves, then you should take a lose look at Beyond Good & Evil. It's basically The Legend of Zelda trimmed down to 5 tools (meelee weapon, projectile weapon, camera, healing items and a companion).

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »

I wouldn't say the 'Candle' is worthwhile at all. It's just a gating tool, and it doesn't facilitate exploration all that much. Just a slowdown of exploration.

You left the grappling hook off your list, which is by far my favorite of the Zelda toys. But it's also one that requires a lot of work.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »

^ "Hookshot" is hookshot. o.o

And well... I do want enough of an assortment to make *some* degree of gating/collectability; along with the ability to mix up the experience by including/disincluding them during different playthroughs. I mean, just to have 9 dungeons, you need at least 9 items (one per dungeon) to have that kind of goal in the game. Sure, some may be skippable entirely, but the idea is to at least put something of some worthiness in the game.

And let's face it, MP refill potions? When has ANY Zelda game made THOSE useful? Zelda II, and only because nothing drops hearts.

Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:03:44 AM »

Lense of Truth.
Revealed illusions.

The Mask
Gating, transformation/addition of actions.

The Staff
Conjuring objects, invincibility (drains magic)

As for magic potions I recall there was a special milk in Majora's Mask that gave unlimited magic temporarily.

Twitter
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »

The lantern/lamp was also a bit of a gate tool (it lights torches that unlock doors, and Zelda won't leave Hyrule dungeon until you equip it), but mostly it was a navigation tool.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:08:13 AM »

So, if you're focused on trimming away the excess (which I didn't think you were, but maybe I'm wrong), you could always combine tools. Like a Metroid style power bomb could combine the bomb and jumper tool.

But, if you're just looking for tools to exploit mechanics then maybe the candle could burn certain terrain away? Wood doors, spider webs, etc...

Damn man, I hope that's helpful on some level hahaha!

Oh god make it stop.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »

That is the idea I'm going for. I was thinking of replacing Pegasus Boots with a dagger for dash-attacking, for instance.

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »

When nailing down the final inventory for my zelda clone, my goal was for each item to be usable both in combat and for puzzles, since those are the two main activities in zelda games (you could argue that traversal is a third activity, but it's kind of merged with puzzles since some puzzles are really just about traversal).  So that's one way you can evaluate possible items and whether they belong in your game.

Examples:

* Sword can hurt enemies at short range and also trigger "hittable" switches.

* Hookshot can stun enemies and pull you across gaps.

* Dash boots can run across crumbing bridges and also you can hurt enemies if you dash into them.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:27 AM »

My game Vatnsmyrkr combines pretty much hookshot, grappling hook as used in WW to collect treasure from below (but not for swinging) and two types of a "hand" into the single extensible magnet on the submarine (it can be used as a claw on smaller, non-magnetic things or simply as a magnet with fewer restrictions on shape and size except the fact that the thing in question of course must be magnetic).

Extra hands for a game where one controls a person directly rather than a vehicle isn't necessary, of course, but other than that I suppose it's an example of bringing a couple of Zelda mechanics into one tool.

----

Not really a combination in the same sense, but the double hookshot from TP was a delight.

Not that I promote combat, but don't forget that the sword is able to shoot beamy things in some Zelda games. Perhaps there are special doorways you find up until a certain point in the game that you can't figure out how to open but later on it turns out you can do so with a better sword you've acquired later, with some ~special magical~ abilities, I s'pose.

The lantern has been discussed. Again, TP and some other games use it well by allowing one to have it equipped to light a place up while still being able to use other items. I like the way it's visibly hanging from Link's belt in TP. Glowing sword or w/e sucking magic power is another option, perhaps.

Don't forget the instruments! All sorts of various things can be done with the different songs. The instruments are definitely among the most versatile and useful items in many Zelda games.

Maybe the bow can be combined with the hookshot if the character has a rope attached to the belt that can be attached by the other end to the arrow or something when needed...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic