Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:18:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBehemoth - kill big stuff
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Behemoth - kill big stuff  (Read 12551 times)
lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »

A game in the vein of shadow of the colossus, last guardian and monster hunter

I was going to to start posting once I had a bit more to show but hell
I want a devlog from scratch more I think ^^'

I think I want a more unusual mc, maybe female... but its a start
The games going to be in unreal4
there will be fully dynamic fur using hairworks like witcher 3
there will be climbing and taking down epic creatures
there will be a dragon mount : >

----
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:47:49 AM by lagdog » Logged

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »

Loving those shadow of the colossus/last guardian vibes so far! Love the premise, can't wait to see more.The giant wolf is quite intriguing.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »

Basic concept is strong - even if the game was a carbon copy of SotC with new monsters it would be a great idea. I'd definitely play this.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this project and your first in-engine screenshots!
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »

Basic concept is strong - even if the game was a carbon copy of SotC with new monsters it would be a great idea. I'd definitely play this.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this project and your first in-engine screenshots!

Agreed with this on all points - SotC-style battles are a concept that is far from exhausted, and a game in a similar vein is extremely welcome.
lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »

thanks guys ^^

small update, thinking about things
I think I want to flesh out the world/game in drawings more than I normally would before jumping into modelling
and try to really capture the dark spiritual feel I want.

For the environment, one of the things I liked about minecraft was the amazing
geography that would sometimes be seeded, land arches, hollow mountains, chasms just below the surface and
pretty tiny valleys between cliffs. I would quite like to capture that feel of exploring beautiful weirdness.

Story wise I think it could be cool to leave it generally mysterious
maybe after defeating each behemoth the mount you ride transforms, eventually gaining wings and letting you fly to attack flying behemoths. or maybe not ^^
I'd like to creep out the player if possible, sometimes, maybe have a gollum like creature follow you  stealthily
so you only occasionally see it out of the corner of your eye, and only explaining the reason for the stalking near the end of the game.

There's a mechanic in monster hunter where you have to eat food to max out your stamina bar it could be cool to have that
feature where you hunt wild life and cook it for you and your mount, to increase your maximum stamina for both.

i have a bunch of ideas anyway, just need to figure out whats appropriate c :

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:40:04 AM by lagdog » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »

concept, art and scale all look excellent!

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:03:11 AM »

Big monsters are awesome (a la SotC), and I agree your visual style is great. Animals are cool. Have you considered maybe not being about killing them, though? Maybe saving a la Princess Mononoke?

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:56:55 AM »

To clarify, I have nothing against ethical hunting, but I fear the "That's big amazing wonderful cool unique and special so I want to kill it" syndrome. Fun could be to keep the big animals dangerous, though, so maybe you'd have to avoid being killed by them while also protecting them? Anyway, just some thoughts.

citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:06:26 AM »

Big monsters are awesome (a la SotC), and I agree your visual style is great. Animals are cool. Have you considered maybe not being about killing them, though? Maybe saving a la Princess Mononoke?

+ 1.

Looking at the pics I don't want to kill those animals. They look majestic. Defending/befriending them would be great.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:30:24 AM »

+ 1.

Looking at the pics I don't want to kill those animals. They look majestic. Defending/befriending them would be great.

wasn't the point of sotc that the bosses were majestic and you killed them anyway though

was that just me that got that vibe

also please do that stalking gollum thing that's evil and terrifying. esp if it doesn't DO anything to you and poses no threat. double esp if it makes no sound at all.

if you make the mount grow wings etc please make it get more and more evil and unsettling with each transformation imo

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »

Every time there are big creatures, people talk about sotc vibe. I don't get it, they're just big creatures. Sotc's vibe and awesome atmosphere doesn't come just from the fact there were huge creatures.

But yeah, of course you wouldn't want to kill those majestic animals, because they're a just gigantic animals (so far I'm seeing a massive wolf, stag and furry drake-ish dog kind of thing). They aren't mysterious colossal monsters like in sotc, that make you wonder what they are, how they were created and why. To me constructs and eldritch beasts like that in sotc are far more realistic and interesting than just oversized animals. One other thing, climbing colossal constructs, that are slow and sturdy, is completely different than climbing fast moving agile animals like wolves and stags.

Also, why does the big white wolf have arrows the height of an elephant sticking out of him? (and isn't bleeding to death)  Tongue
Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »

Looking great, I'm looking forward to the models! Gomez Gomez Gomez

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »

I like the Gollum idea, too, however that turns out to be. From what I understand of SotC, you'd be copying it even more if you (or your mount) got eviler as you go. Random other plot idea: Some local warlord wants to kill the great beasts to prove he's awesome or to extract some chemical from their brains or ..., and your protection of them isn't just about that but more specifically about opposing the warlord. And maybe you win some and you lose some of the battles, just based on how you did. And maybe control strategy with AI teammates before going into battle? Anyway, I'll shut up now. Just was pondering this and figured I'd brain dump. I don't mean to be imposing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:38:11 AM by tjpalmer » Logged

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »

Very nice concept and artwork, can't wait to see where this leads...

TBH I've been so overhyped anticipating Last Guardian that at this point I'd pay $50 for anything even remotely resembling a Team Ico production Wink

Good luck!

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »

I really love the art style of this. Plus dragons and giant wolves - how much cooler can you get?!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »

Yessssss!

I'm thrilled that you're designing a game inspired by Shadow of the Colossus.  The concept art is beautiful!  I can't wait to see some more out of this.  Following you for sure Smiley

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »

Did some sketches today of some of the designs I've had on my mind, to be painted up later unfortunately sucky scans tho
looks nicer on paper.

This one I think would be quite oblivious to your presence, and you have to distract it by throwing stones, run under its limbs
and then run up its tails. then it pays attention to you and reacts.

this one is a giant ass black owl with golden eyes, pretty straight forward

a blind dragon like creature with heads where its wings and tail would be, which it sees through instead

Lastly the gollum like creature which stalks the player, you only occasionally see it from the corner of your eye.
Its body is part black smoke with eyes peaking from it, something I think unreal 4's particle will handle pretty well.
I want to make limbs and teeth and things grow and dissolve constantly from its body with its normal travelling gait
I can do this with blendshapes, Hopefully it will give the effect of a indistinct broiling sillhouette that's difficult to understand, for sounds, nothing vocal. just quite scurrying noises in the dirt.
also I think I don't want to give a reason for its following you in the shadows, I'd like the player to theorise it for them selves, all you know is its truly terrifying, and it wants you.... c :

i have some other ideas for the creepy stalker creature but this is my initial thought

@ tjpalmer: well maybe not evil'er, maybe just becoming more powerful

@greengospod: I hope the atmosphere and ambience will drive the feel of each individual behemoth
and I'm not actually sure if the game play will mean killing them yet, you could just destroy there halo and they become good or fade into ghosts I'm none too sure...
And so far yes oversized animals, but that could perhaps be because its early in the game and it should be more vanilla.
The arrows are actually ballista bolts from a previous unknown and failed attempt to kill it
when it notices you it will try to shake you off and holding onto the bolts is your best bet of remaining on board.

@rj @citizen5 @tjpalmer: gollum sorta concepted or atleast a first attempt : ). not sure if killing the monsters yet or freeing them or something else

p.s just realised clicking the pics resizes them to fit the forum
neat

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:17:28 PM by lagdog » Logged

lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »

not too many new thoughts, apart rfom maybe having the starting area be green and sunny  and every other area dark and mysterious

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »

Looking cool, as before. Curious to continue to hear how the story details end up going. If where a creature sees from matters, then you must be expecting that to play into the AI. Got a lot of work cut out for you (and/or whomever you might manage to get on board for coding). (Edit: Not that this one thing is the big deal. Just a lot of things you have planned suggest a big project overall.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:09:33 PM by tjpalmer » Logged

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »

not too many new thoughts, apart rfom maybe having the starting area be green and sunny  and every other area dark and mysterious

You nailed an awesome atmosphere with the owl creature, setting a really cool vibe here. And agreed, a variety of different environments and lighting schemes will definitely offer some really cool encounter moments not seen before with behemoth creatures like this.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic