Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:10:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYoYo Games (Game Maker) Acquired by PlayTech (Online Gambling) for 16m
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: YoYo Games (Game Maker) Acquired by PlayTech (Online Gambling) for 16m  (Read 3873 times)
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/236574/GameMaker_Studio_creator_acquired_for_164_million.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Lips Sealed

MrBones
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »

for what purpose though
if they change the TOS and/or raise the prices of modules I'm going to be pissed
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »

for what purpose though

Money  Hand Money Left

I'm gonna be really sad if this kills GM

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Gambling companies are amongst the most trustworthy and well meaning companies in existence. I'm sure Game Maker will be fine. Smiley Smiley

Burbank51
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:37 PM »

for what purpose though

Yeah, Gamemaker is really the only product YoYoGames has. What business does a gambling company have with Gamemaker? This is kind of like Facebook acquiring Occulus.

I play freeware indie games on my Youtube
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »

honestly i had no idea game maker was worth anywhere remotely near 164mil. props to them!

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »

Maybe they got confused by two different meanings of the word "gaming".

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
HDSanctum
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »

honestly i had no idea game maker was worth anywhere remotely near 164mil. props to them!
* $16.4 million, which is not as much as I imagined they'd sell for.
MrBones
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 04:26:51 AM »

* $16.4 million, which is not as much as I imagined they'd sell for.

yeah pretty much this.
Was YoYo thatdesperate? It seems like GM would be worth a lot more than that. Or is the article just misinformed? It seems so out of place.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:28:18 AM by Bonesy » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »

Is studio updated regularly?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
JWK5
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:36 AM »

Semi-regularly. It seems to come in waves; there will be no updates for a long stretch and then all of a sudden there is an update almost every day and then we're back to no updates for a long stretch.
peteuplink
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:07:27 AM »

Hopefully this is not bad news. Otherwise I'll have to switch to making games with Unity or brush of my c++ skills.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:48:59 AM by peteuplink » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

for what purpose though
if they change the TOS and/or raise the prices of modules I'm going to be pissed

prices are going to be random now
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »

dum ur all babbys

i was ther when mark sold it to yoyogams

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »

Here's an interview with a Playtech rep: http://www.develop-online.net/interview/interview-why-playtech-acquired-yoyo-games-and-what-it-means-for-devs/0203243
Canned Turkey
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »

The amount of times he said casual games makes me hesitant to believe there wont be any major changes.
oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
peteuplink
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »

Will video games developers still have access to GameMaker in future? And will they continue to get support on any dev issues?
Nothing will change on that front or any for that matter. We will continue to cater for and build on the loyal community GameMaker and YoYo have developed, as well as investing more resources into improving and making the system faster, more efficient, user-friendly and appeal to a wider professional games developer audience.

This sound okay, but I hope this answer isn't their Peter Molyneux moment...
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »

On the upside, the random number generator will be improved ;P

Maybe they got confused by two different meanings of the word "gaming".
This actually happened in an expo. The expo was about videogames, but somehow somebody decided to advertise their gambling business. Good job. (doesn't help that in Spanish game and gamble are exactly the same word)
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »

Gamemaker 2.0. This is under development and will be completed later this year.

can't wait

but honestly, I hope this goes over well. A company with money to spend could mean good things about GM's future but if they fuck up the reliable team developing it right now (well, I don't actually know anything about the team besides they have a GTA guy and they've been doing a decent job with making gm compatible with other platforms and html5) it could go into the toilet at an alarming velocity. some people would argue this is where gm already was but it would be even more in the toilet in that case like in the septic tank I guess. as someone who uses GM it's sobering to think about how gm being bought out and the staff being fucked up could just kill it, though I suppose any high-level solution to game creation could die out at any time, anyway

Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 04:52:23 PM »

There is a sixteen-million-dollar agenda here but that doesn't mean the death of GameMaker.

It's pretty typical for people to overreact when a company is sold, or a product shifts into the hands of a new company. Playtech does software and gaming in a broader sense than gambling.

It is fair to be worried, and there absolutely are fears amongst the GameMaker community right now. One such fear is changes to the pricing model (subscription-based ranking high as a nightmare situation) or something wacky like paying royalties (although totally unlikely, its easy to be spooked that a big company might not understand the community, and be out to gouge).

GameMaker development should benefit hugely from this. Time will tell.

The YoYo team have done so much for GameMaker and it is hard to believe they'd pass it over to bad hands. The YoYo team are still involved in the product, so it's not a sell-and-bolt situation.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic