Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:53:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMultiplayer Roguelike - School Project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer Roguelike - School Project  (Read 816 times)
philip
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »

Hello, I am a school student from New Zealand and for most of this year I will have some time to work on a digital technology project.

I enjoy playing roguelike games including Nethack and Dungeons of Dredmor and would like to develop something in this genre. However it is ideal for my assessment that I create something innovative,or to fill a niche, so I have been thinking about the possibility of a multiplayer turn-based roguelike game. A quick google produced this reddit thread, which indicates that others have also considered this idea and that there may be some interest in it.

reddit.com/r/gamedesign/comments/1nml8k/turnbased_rpg_combat_multiplayer_coop_can_it_work/

I believe that it may also be possible to streamline the multiplayer turn-based system further, by, with restrictions, allowing players to continually take turns so long as their actions do not have consequences on other players. For example, if one player is attacking monsters on one side of the map, a player on the other side should be able to move freely without having to wait for the other player to make their move. There would need to be some restriction on how quickly people can take their turns, to stop players racing ahead of others.

I am imagining a server/client system with a game set to start at a certain time, ~20 players join, who can then either work together or against each other, or the option of hosting a local game in which a few players work together to beat the game.

If people are willing, there are a few questions that I would like to ask:

Do you think that a multiplayer turn-based rpg is a good idea, and if properly implemented would be an enjoyable playing experience?
What draws you to the roguelike genre?
Which is you favourite roguelike game, and what are the features that make this the case?
Are there any features that you have not seen implemented but believe could be interesting?

Regards,

Philip
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic