Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:57:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Spare Set - An Interactive Fiction Game That I Wrote For A UK Housing Charit
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Spare Set - An Interactive Fiction Game That I Wrote For A UK Housing Charit  (Read 448 times)
bonfiredog
Level 0

I'm feeling troughy

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »

'Ey up,

This is a game which I made last year for the UK housing and homelessness charity Shelter, as part of their summer campaign on the welfare system. It was well-received, but unfortunately not very well publicised outside the intended audience, i.e. supporters of the charity. However, I think you might enjoy it even if you are not based in the UK, or affected by the UK welfare system.

It's called The Spare Set. There was the link, right there.

A little bit of context: Shelter was campaigning for the government to improve the so-called 'safety net' provision for families. The 'safety net' is a system of financial benefits which families can call on temporarily if they fall into financial difficulty. Contrary to popular belief, it is not for shirkers or lazy people, but it is hard to erode such belief, and is politically expedient to bow to it. This 'safety net' provision has been cut horrifically in recent years.

However, the need for it is even greater; in the current economic climate, even something small can put a big dent in your finances; an unexpected bill, or illness, or job loss. Shelter's research found that if there was a job loss, a majority of UK families would only have about a month of savings available. After this, they cannot pay their mortgage, and they lose their home. This happens an awful lot; I drew on a lot of real case studies to make this game. 

I made 'The Spare Set' to allow players to experience the helplessness and frustration of being in this situation, and having little or no help. In the game, you play as Lucy, who must navigate this difficult situation and try and make the best of it. I wanted the game to break through populist belief and sneering; Lucy is hardworking, and desperate to make things right.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what people think. For those who are interested, it is made in Twine.

Screenshot

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic