Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:07:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYour dream game?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Your dream game?  (Read 3755 times)
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »

Hey everyone!

Lately I've been thinking more and more about my "dream game". I've always been very secretive about it, mostly because I don't want anyone to make something like it before I do. I think that I'm to the point where I'm tired of thinking about it, and I want to get to the "making" it part. My biggest problem is that I don't believe in myself enough to actually start.

Does anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:56:29 PM by Slader16 » Logged

Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »

In a way. My problem is that the scope of my dream game vs my current skill level would push the time commitment on the limit of feasibility.

But if your frustration of wanting to make the game reaches a tipping point, I suggest you try a personal "Vertical Slice" Game Jam. At the very least you'll find out how doable it is.

Twitter
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:10:38 AM »

Yeah just pick one component and make a game about that.

If you wanna make a big RPG with complex crafting, layered dialogue trees and action combat, make a tiny game about crafting, a tiny game about dialogue and a tiny combat prototype. You can take them in any direction, they're fun to make, you learn a lot on how to do things and might get some fresh ideas along the way  Coffee
internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »

Yeah just pick one component and make a game about that.

If you wanna make a big RPG with complex crafting, layered dialogue trees and action combat, make a tiny game about crafting, a tiny game about dialogue and a tiny combat prototype. You can take them in any direction, they're fun to make, you learn a lot on how to do things and might get some fresh ideas along the way  Coffee

I think this is a great idea.

Also: I definitely get the whole "I don't want someone taking my idea," which is why I struggled for a long time about making devlogs (and am still failing, but at least attempting it). But if you take a step back and consider it, wouldn't it be great if someone else made your dream game? Not only would you get to play it, you'd get to experience someone else's unique take on the things you love.

It may not end up being exactly what you wanted to make, but it could be a great way to experience the game you want without knowing every last detail of it before you even start playing. Isn't one of the most exciting parts of playing a game discovering the game world?

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:58 AM »

Also: I definitely get the whole "I don't want someone taking my idea,"
I forgot to address this bit:

Games are like 5% idea and 95% execution.
I can tell you what my dream game is right now, and even if you followed my description exactly you'd end up with a vastly different game compared to what I'd strive to make - which, again, would be just as different to what I'd really make if I got to it, probably.

Being overprotective of ideas isn't that good; ideas have to be discussed and chipped at to truly become something imo.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

^^exactly.

also if you're an unknown who has never made a game, people are almost certainly not going to "steal" your idea.
internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 07:28:16 AM »

Games are like 5% idea and 95% execution.

Yes, this was supposed to be the point. It can be hard to get past the mindset of "this is my idea," but it's worth trying, because it's simply counterproductive in many ways.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:45:54 AM »

I can't imagine having one big game I want to make. There are TON of big games I want to make! Do I want to make one more than some of the others? Sure, but... that'll change in a week or two, and I'll really want to make a different game instead!

There's SO MANY unexplored ideas, game concepts and mechanics - just thinking about them makes me want to make everything.
Nowadays when I see someone making a game I was wanting to make, I think... "Thank God, someone else did it!"

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »

I can't imagine having one big game I want to make. There are TON of big games I want to make! Do I want to make one more than some of the others? Sure, but... that'll change in a week or two, and I'll really want to make a different game instead!

There's SO MANY unexplored ideas, game concepts and mechanics - just thinking about them makes me want to make everything.
Nowadays when I see someone making a game I was wanting to make, I think... "Thank God, someone else did it!"

Well, for me, it was a game I once made a shitty version of (and later attempted to make other shitty and less shitty versions of), which I want to make 'for real' some day. I imagine I'm not the only one who's been wanting to remake something they've once made like this.

As for the reason I haven't started on it yet, it's because it's hard to make and I'm not entirely ready to make it yet (I got online play down now, but it's not gonna work out without a good CPU opponent to play against so I need to get a lot better at AI; plus the whole interface crap is gonna be pretty difficult to make properly), and because I won't be able to launch it well (games that are reliant on online multiplayer fail if there's no community keeping it alive; just launching it and hoping for the best will result in a dead game).
jolene
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 12:00:15 AM »

i have like a billion dream games
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

i have like a billion dream games

same as hell

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »

I have an unhealthy obsession with simulations down to the molecular level. Perhaps someday we'll have the memory and processing power to make it a possibility. Essentially the world would be represented by really small voxels and each of those voxels would have properties. Perhaps it's not worth the processing power or memory space, but there are some pretty neat things you can do when detail gets that small.
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »

Mine isn't a dream game, but a dream simulation. I'd love to simulate something that will surprise me and that I will consider "alive". Of course, this is just a pipe dream - I'm no expert on AI or intelligence and I think it may be too late for me now to get the knowledge, skills, and experience to seriously contribute something to the field of AGI. But man would I love to have tried.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

Mine's basically an RPG system with a bunch of different front ends, such as Rogue-like, Mount & Blade-like, or Elder Scrolls-like.

Sort of like how in Dwarf Fortress you can play the same world in different time periods in both Adventure and Fortress mode.

It's shooting REALLY high but the sky's the limit when it comes to dream games.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »

no dream game here. dreams are stupid

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »

Just got back from vacation, there's lots of comments here! Shocked

The reason that I didn't exactly want to share my idea is because it would be a pretty huge thing to make.
And I was worried that by the time I started a devlog etc, someone would of already made it.

Anyway, my dream game is to make my own personal take on Animal Crossing.

Who, Me?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 01:17:08 AM »

And I was worried that by the time I started a devlog etc, someone would of already made it...
...Animal Crossing.

Sorry, Nintendo beat you to it. But, I don't think they read TIGSource, so you're probably safe there.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »

And I was worried that by the time I started a devlog etc, someone would of already made it...
...Animal Crossing.

Sorry, Nintendo beat you to it. But, I don't think they read TIGSource, so you're probably safe there.
Facepalm

Conker
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »

Yeah but I quit on mine lol

Maybe another day
ChocoKinesis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »

Every time someone asks me what my dream game would be, I think the same thing. Warhammer 40K action RPG where you play an Inquisitor, in the style of Mass Effect with LA Noire style investigation and interrogation. Add in Dragon Age Inquisition's war table and judgment bits for good measure. Absolutely just way beyond the scope of any reasonable project, I think, but I always think of this and sigh wistfully. I wish someone would take that idea and make something of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic