Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:21:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art style suggestions?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Art style suggestions?  (Read 1006 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »

So, feedback on Gentrieve suggests it needs better artstyle. Bear in mind, most of it is greyscale with some flavor highlights, tinted internally to reflect the core weapons associated with each enemy type; so that's a little bit of a limitation. But what would you suggest?

Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »

unfortunately good artwork does sell indie games, cant really suggest anything as the graphics are really vague at best. I'd say go through all kinds of game art of a similar vein and pick maby 3 styles that would fit the game well.

Peyton
Level 0

"Now Only 70% Rude!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »

From what I see, it is a bit bland looking. The tiles are just simple graphics, and honestly don't make the game too much more interesting looking than if they were just solid colors. Perhaps a more mechanical, sci-fi based theme would be good looking. You could look at games like Starcraft, or works by HR Giger for inspiration.
Also, a little extra tip I wold give is that breaking away from a perfect tile grid could help a bit with the art. Having things sticking out and stuff would add more depth, and make it more interesting to look at.

I am just your typical 16 year old future game dev.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:35:40 PM »

From what Ive seen i would suggest finding an artist?
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

^^^^^^^^

esp. if you can offer money or profit share or something of value, that'd be the best course of action

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »

Maybe it's just because Metroid had a eerie feel, but I'd guess that's what you're shooting for in general. I'm not sure what the goal is, or the story or anything like that; but for some general art styles a few examples come to mind...

Some levels of Flashback seem appropriate...

...or Alien Infestation has some great industrial type levels...

...and the old xmen 2 had a ton of futuristic alien-like level art...

... but maybe you're trying to avoid pixel art? Pixel art is great if you don't have alot of resources to put into the art. Nobody expects details if you don't have resolution.

Something simple like Limbo might be the way to go. Probably best to twist it though since that style has become popular.

Oh god make it stop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic