Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:01:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Show us your level editor(s) Part II!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level editor(s) Part II!  (Read 5125 times)
RareSloth
Level 0

making apps and taking naps

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »

The old level editor thread died - lets bring it back.

Show us some of your level building, maybe you're using your own tool or someone else's.

Here's ours that we're using for Furdemption, its on iOS. We just posted a little walk-through of our iOS editor here:

Walk-through of the level editor:

Here are some of the levels that players have made:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.821538247931631.1073741830.493279527424173&type=1&notif_t=like
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:04:02 PM by RareSloth » Logged

Our mobile games: Yukon Warrior | Furdemption | King Rabbit
Lavesson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:12 AM »

Well. Here's mine that I'm using for Cathedral.

Basically built as a paint tool with things such as flood fill/eyedropper tool/layers etc. only with tiles, and not *only* solid colours. There's also a bunch of smaller features, such as enabling parallax scrolling for certain layers and setting a transformation amount relative to the viewport. One of the layers is always going to be designated as a collision layer.

Exporting levels as JSON right now, which won't hold up in the long run (for everything but small levels, it takes quite some time to parse the JSON).

jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »

Not really mine but this is what I generally use for tile based stuff.

Uses 2D Toolkit in Unity.  I'll make a grid of test tiles to block out the level, and then you create the prefabs with collision and functionality and select those per slot on the test grid, that way they will be auto put into the level on play.

fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »

I'm using the same in-game level editor that is available to players too:

RareSloth
Level 0

making apps and taking naps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »

We just posted an update to our level editor!

Some of the levels that players have made:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.821538247931631.1073741830.493279527424173&type=1&notif_t=like

Our mobile games: Yukon Warrior | Furdemption | King Rabbit
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »

jolene
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »

Whoa that's pretty freaking cool.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »

(click for full resolution)

For the record, the macros in question:

Code:
;****************************************************************************
; Macros for defining stage data
;****************************************************************************

StageDef: macro
    rept    16
    dc.b    TILE_\1
    shift
    endr
    endm

StageObj: macro type, x, y, data
    dc.b    OBJTYPE_\type, \x, \y, \data
    endm

StageEnd: macro
    dc.b    $FF
    even
    endm

Yeah, I'm literally abusing macros to turn the assembler into a poor man's level editor. I'm a bastard =P
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:01 AM »

JLJac's home-rolled level editor for Rain World, still in lingo and has to run instanced inside of adobe director. super clunky, but ive grown to love it. there are lots of parts to it, but here are the basics:

main screen with various menus:

geometry editor:

tile editor:

output (after steps 4-99 adding effect layers, palette, lighting, perspective, etc etc):

and there you have it, my life.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »

Wow that's awesome too. Even the editor itself has style.

ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »

This is my enemy editor. Sure it doesn't edit 'levels' but the game is randomly generated so that doesn't really make sense for it. This particular shot shows the behaviors attached to the enemy sitting behind the giant chunks of UI everywhere:

Eketek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »

Since my design called for a mixture of volumetric and attached objects (with arbitrary properties), with a reasonably efficient and easily learned workflow, I ended up making my own level editor for Orthot II:

Technically, it's a few a general-purpose layout & modelling tool which presently has game-specific details hard-coded into it, so it would not be a lot of trouble to clean it up and make it useful tool for other projects.

A while ago, I posted a video of an earlier version on Youtube to demonstrate its workflow.  I'm not quite sure now whether I was just being lazy, or if I was deliberately making errors to force myself to show more of its features...  Enjoy!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »

I see a lot of unique looking gui's. General question for everyone here : Did you use any existing libraries/tooling or did you build the gui up from scratch?

Lavesson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »

I simply built my editor GUI in WPF using the Extended WPF Toolkit.
On the other hand, mine is probably one of the less unique ones Wink

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »

WPF is a fine, nay awesome way to go for your level editor. I dream of the day XAMl is moved to a less bloated framework though. I love WPF but I think a lot of the code-behind stuff can be simplified (Dependency properties for example). MVVM cross is an interesting approach but is too focused on mobile.

Is your editor view a WPF built component or are you feeding your engine viewport into wpf?

Lavesson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »

Yeah, I agree. In general, I consider WPF to be a mix of really good and really bad ideas. I do like MVVM - unit testing becomes a lot more sane than in old Form apps.

The editor view is not feeding the engine into wpf. I thought about doing that, but since it's a simple tile editor, I decided against it. Basically, it's a custom control. Or rather two nested custom controls. The outer one is a zoom/pan control which applies transforms to any control placed inside it. The actual grid is a collection of databound canvases (uh. canvi?). Each layer gets bound to a canvas and drawn in the correct order.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »

It's not something I made, but the Frogatto level editor is pretty incredible. Via @kylepulver:

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »

Rescuing an old screenshot:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »

Yeah, I agree. In general, I consider WPF to be a mix of really good and really bad ideas. I do like MVVM - unit testing becomes a lot more sane than in old Form apps.

The editor view is not feeding the engine into wpf. I thought about doing that, but since it's a simple tile editor, I decided against it. Basically, it's a custom control. Or rather two nested custom controls. The outer one is a zoom/pan control which applies transforms to any control placed inside it. The actual grid is a collection of databound canvases (uh. canvi?). Each layer gets bound to a canvas and drawn in the correct order.

Just read this now. Very cool.

I haven't yet tried piping in a engine context into a WPF application, mainly out of fear the communication between the two would be hard to do. I'd love to give it a try some day.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic