Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:35:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Show us your level editor(s) Part II!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level editor(s) Part II!  (Read 5148 times)
okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »

Here's the level editor for Kuiper 2.  It's written in C# and uses WinForms and SharpDX.  It outputs an XML file with all the objects that is then passed to a resource compiler along with the rest of the game assets.  The resource compiler makes a nice binary blob that is loaded by the game.

It's used for levels:

and menus:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »

Crossposting, but eh. I figured it fits better here and might be of interest. Going to be writing up stuff more properly in the PUSE dev log soon but there's already some more info there.

This is for a Unity game, so it works inside the editor which itself isn't mine of course, but this terrain thingy is my work completely.

Until like two days ago it wasn't working in real time in the editor so I had to start the game to run the algorithm and I couldn't edit the shape during gameplay. With a couple of extra lines I fixed that, and now I can modify terrain which automatically textures itself in real time even while playing the game. I've been heavily inspired by UbiArt for this.

This GIF shows the play view as I'm modifying the shape of the terrain in the offscreen editor view by modifying vertices of a polygon collider.

I think it's pretty darn cool!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »

That IS really darn cool Smiley

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »

Ok that level editor thing looks rad as heck! I never seen that game btw, I'm gonna go read the devlog (again)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 04:49:18 AM »

How can you be reading it again if you haven't seen the game before? Tongue

Joeb Rogers
Level 0

Professional Gameplay and Tools Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »

Just looking through these... wow. As a (relatively) new developer in the games field, I can't even comprehend how these are made. Awesome stuff.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

How can you be reading it again if you haven't seen the game before? Tongue

Because I read the devlog of another one of your games in its entirety before, just not this specific one. That was really not clear in the first post I made though.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic