Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:15:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLegends of Pixelia [Retro ARPG]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Legends of Pixelia [Retro ARPG]  (Read 764 times)
Sima
Level 0

Indie Gamedev

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »

Hey everyone, it's #feedbackfriday!

Legends of Pixelia is an action role-playing game that combines retro pixelart with modern gameplay mechanics. Tired of left-clicking through hordes of brainless one-hit-KO enemies? Random dungeons, precise controls via gamepad (or keyboard) and a strong fighting game AI provide challenging encounters.

Key features: Random dungeons, local multiplayer, full gamepad support, cool stat & item system, evil bosses with ultimate skills, strong fighting game AI.

Downloads @ Indie DB (Windows/ Mac OS X/ Linux)

Web demo @ Newgrounds (Unity3D Webplayer)

To improve the game I would like to know...
- How do you like the controls?
- What do you think about the difficulty?
- Did you manage to beat the first boss? How many bosses did you beat?
- Did you open up the "How to play" screen?
- Did you try local multiplayer with a friend (plug in some gamepads)? How many players? Please describe your multiplayer experience.

Any other kind of feedback is welcome, too.  Wink

Thanks for testing,
-Sima
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:07:12 AM by Sima » Logged

Currently working on

Join our Discord to follow the development: https://discord.gg/D6CkrUu
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »

Just tested the game. I can tell it was heavily inspired by Binding of Isaac, haha. Overall, the gameplay was fun, but it can be annoying at times. I can say that it was enjoyable, though.

Things I liked:
-The different attacks you could do were neat. When I first started, I didn't utilize them well and I got my butt kicked. It adds a certain strategic element to the combat.
-The animations were nice and smooth.
-Multiplayer is a big plus. I didn't get a chance to play with a friend but I can imagine it would be pretty fun.
-The randomized levels were cool. Keeps the game fresh even when you die.

Things I didn't like:
-Like I said before, the combat can be annoying at times. When using your basic attack, you have to get right up in the face of an enemy. I wouldn't mind that, but the attack is so short and the enemies would frequently land cheap shots while I'm waling on them and whittle my health down.
-Another thing that annoyed me was the falling down mechanic. I can see how this could play into multiplayer; your buddy goes down in the midst of combat and you have to go help him out. However, on single player, it was just irritating. It seemed to happen too frequently; get grazed by a stray projectile and you're knocked on your ass.
-Is there any way to regain health? If there is, it doesn't seem to happen too frequently. It sucked having enemies chip away at my health and not knowing how to get it back.

I hope these criticisms don't discourage you. I did have fun playing the game. Smiley I may give it another go sometime in the future. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes, hahaha.

How do you like the controls?
They were decent. I had to figure out the keyboard controls at first, but they were fluent. I didn't have any issues.

What do you think about the difficulty?
Damn tough. Certain enemies would kick my ass, and the first boss absolutely clobbered me. That's as far as I got.

Did you manage to beat the first boss?
Not even close. Concerned

Did you open up the "How to play" screen?
I looked at it for maybe a few seconds, haha.

Did you try local multiplayer with a friend (plug in some gamepads)?
No, but maybe in the future.

Also, I recorded my gameplay so you can see how I did. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know. Tongue

Sima
Level 0

Indie Gamedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »

Hey jc, thank you for testing!

I'm doing a list of things to change and your feedback, especially the video, helped a lot. There will be a tutorial kind of thing soon, I'm still collecting info from players. Smiley

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.
1) Character Screen -> Use your stat points. Wink

2) Your second item choice was strange. You chose [-1.6 attack rating & +1.1 defense rating] over [+3.3 attack rating & +1.7 defense rating]. I know that there's no ingame tutorial on the stats yet, but attack rating and defense rating (below "on equip:") are pure info stats, that are calculated by the item's offensive and defensive powers. They can be used to easily compare items.

3) With the right timing, it's possible to air combo enemies. The knight has a very easy combo: AAA, AAA (A being your normal attack). Your third 'A' hits the enemy into the air and the next three should hit, when you're pressing fast enough. You can do really crazy combos depending on your attack speed and the usage of your skills. Sky Slash for example lifts enemies high into the air.

Is there any way to regain health?
Once again, sorry the game didn't tell you (yet). There are multiple ways to heal. Gaining a level up heals about 10% HP, the potion items (can be found in barrels) heal about 5% to 15% HP. Another way to heal is the "Heal per Room" stat found on some of the character's level up stats and on items. The stat is capped at 10% of your maximum HP (per room). You see, HP is the number one limted resource in Legends of Pixelia.

Again, let me thank you. Please don't delete your first try video, I want to check that again later and learn from it. The start of the game can be tough at the moment, I'll fix that in a future version.  Grin

-Sima

Currently working on

Sima
Level 0

Indie Gamedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »

Hey everyone it's feedback friday again!

The new version A0.02 is online, time for you to check it out:

Downloads @ Indie DB (Windows/ Mac OS X/ Linux)

Web demo @ Newgrounds (Unity3D Webplayer)

I'm still working on the tutorial, so here are the same questions as last week:
- How do you like the controls?
- What do you think about the difficulty?
- Did you manage to beat the first boss? How many bosses did you beat?
- Did you open up the "How to play" screen?
- Did you try local multiplayer with a friend (plug in some gamepads)? How many players? Please describe your multiplayer experience.

-Sima

Currently working on

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic