Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:51:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat isn't there enough of in videogame music?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: What isn't there enough of in videogame music?  (Read 3600 times)
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »

Hans Zimmmerman clones, right?  Tongue

But seriously, have any devs struggled to find music in a particular style? I'm always up for trying out new things, so far most of my stuff is emotional or RPG-style stuff.

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »

songs with vocals
hip hop
"idm" (terrible genre name, good genre)
post-punk

Kaustek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:03 AM »

There's not enough music, period.

I'm getting pretty sick of playing AAA titles that only have music going 10% of the time.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »

dont worry im gonna force Sólstafir to make theme song for submarine gam in 4 years

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

hip hop
Pretty much this - even only just hip hop BEATS would be nice.

(I hoped "Catacomb Kids" would go down this route, considering the name)
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »

Post punk
Post rock
Punk rock
Ambient
and yes, something with good vocals
I'm stunned by Nuclear Throne OST by the way, that is really good.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:57:49 AM »

eurodance

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Europe
there is not enough europe in video games

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »

eurodance
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »

For the life of me at the moment I can't think of any game I've played that focused their music style on Jazz genre of music.

Twitter
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »

Neurofunk or techstep.  Most games with drum & bass tend to just use liquid.

Something like this:

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »

For the life of me at the moment I can't think of any game I've played that focused their music style on Jazz genre of music.

there are a few but its usually just lounge type stuff. hotel dusk and its sequel last window are an example

a lot of 90s japanese game music is also fusion influenced but the the kind of fusion they take influence from is barely even jazz to begin with

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:54:24 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »

anyway i guess more than anything id like to see music being used more creatively. use of music in videogames is dominated by tropes & stereotypes.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »

anyway i guess more than anything id like to see music being used more creatively. use of music in videogames is dominated by tropes & stereotypes.

Also this.  Metal Gear Rising's use of instrumental/vocal cues was mindblowing.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »

Yeah, there jazz-sounding stuff as atmosphere, but not much jazz.  I don't think that's an accident, though; jazz takes a lot of attention to follow, and it's one of the most difficult genres to appreciate unless you've got experience listening to it.

But I guess I'm thinking more about later jazz styles.  The earlier you go in jazz, the more it would fit in a videogame; something like "In the Mood" could be game music and no one would bat an eye.  And going earlier, ragtime is downright foundational to game music; that's a key part of Mario's and Nintendo's sonic style.
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »

Just good music in general. Seems to me like most games opt for generic orchestral instead of focusing on anything with lasting appeal, more of a background element compared to something that actually sticks with you.

The exception is in the indie scene of course, better attention is paid to stuff like music.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »

there are a few but its usually just lounge type stuff. hotel dusk and its sequel last window are an example

a lot of 90s japanese game music is also fusion influenced but the the kind of fusion they take influence from is barely even jazz to begin with

capcom loved some jazz in their fighting games

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »

Yeah, there jazz-sounding stuff as atmosphere, but not much jazz.  I don't think that's an accident, though; jazz takes a lot of attention to follow, and it's one of the most difficult genres to appreciate unless you've got experience listening to it.

But I guess I'm thinking more about later jazz styles.  The earlier you go in jazz, the more it would fit in a videogame; something like "In the Mood" could be game music and no one would bat an eye.  And going earlier, ragtime is downright foundational to game music; that's a key part of Mario's and Nintendo's sonic style.

to be honest, anything from the bop era and beyond, with the exception of (some) fusion and smooth jazz, just doesnt make for good soundtrack music. it can be done (miles davis's ascenseur pour l'echafaud soundtrack for instance), but its very hard to get right.

heres a challenge: make a game with a free jazz soundtrack
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »

This got me thinking... Developers usually add soundtracks in after the gameplay and plotline are in place. It would be interesting to see some games that are actually based on/inspired by a soundtrack (or even a specific style of music) rather than other away around. Are they any examples of this already?
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 01:54:07 AM »

This got me thinking... Developers usually add soundtracks in after the gameplay and plotline are in place. It would be interesting to see some games that are actually based on/inspired by a soundtrack (or even a specific style of music) rather than other away around. Are they any examples of this already?
I think "Journey"'s composer was always closely working with the rest of the dev team at all stages of the development. I might be wrong though.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic