Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:35:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat isn't there enough of in videogame music?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What isn't there enough of in videogame music?  (Read 3598 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »

heres a challenge: make a game with a free jazz soundtrack
This got me thinking... Developers usually add soundtracks in after the gameplay and plotline are in place. It would be interesting to see some games that are actually based on/inspired by a soundtrack (or even a specific style of music) rather than other away around. Are they any examples of this already?

i think swords and sworcery ep was music first, like this

also hey
hey

*points furiously at my devlog*

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »

this is REALLY interesting to read thorough, great topic! im especially glad to hear a few mentions of vocal music because i couldnt agree more, but assumed it was just personal bias. i think one of the reasons that instrumental music is used almost exclusively is that its just much easier to throw some fairly generic gaem tunez in and have it "work" than what would be required to make a really great game/song/vocal mood collaboration. the highs could potentially be great though. if you look at the games that have done it well, even like that cheese song from portal or the MGS stuff, it becomes sort of legendary.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »

that "hello there!" gets me every damn time

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 03:45:03 AM »

a really great game/song/vocal mood collaboration. the highs could potentially be great though.

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 05:04:12 AM »

and indeed it came out as a good game

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »

heres a challenge: make a game with a free jazz soundtrack
This got me thinking... Developers usually add soundtracks in after the gameplay and plotline are in place. It would be interesting to see some games that are actually based on/inspired by a soundtrack (or even a specific style of music) rather than other away around. Are they any examples of this already?
I think "Journey"'s composer was always closely working with the rest of the dev team at all stages of the development. I might be wrong though.

He was and in fact the prototype was focused on the Music to try to evoke the emotion the designers were trying to get the player to experience.

capcom loved some jazz in their fighting games

And I just realized that Capcom also had this:

But seriously, I'd love to see someone experiment with modern Jazz for the base of a dynamic game soundtrack. It would probably require more audio programming than most games but I could see the end result being truly awesome.

Twitter
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »

a really great game/song/vocal mood collaboration. the highs could potentially be great though.

completely agreed on all points

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

hip hop
Pretty much this - even only just hip hop BEATS would be nice.

(I hoped "Catacomb Kids" would go down this route, considering the name)
lot of hip hop fans to be found in the catacombs below paris. disappointing.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »

people saying "let's go". not like the glory days

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:13 AM »

anyway i guess more than anything id like to see music being used more creatively. use of music in videogames is dominated by tropes & stereotypes.

Also this.  Metal Gear Rising's use of instrumental/vocal cues was mindblowing.

i wasn't thinking of dynamic music necessarily. just more diversity and creativity beyond going for the most obvious cliches.  for instance, when music that falls outside of standard "videogame music" genres is used, it's often in a very stereotypical way, such as vaguely "middle eastern" sounding stuff in desert levels. this extends to other shit as well: a fast and intense game is obviously going to have a fast and intense soundtrack, a fantasy game is obviously going to have some "epic" sweeping orchestral music etc. that shit is boring as hell.

game developers could stand to think more deeply about the relationship between music & image & mechanics and find more interesting combinations. this one of the things where games should copy film MORE in my opinion.

here's an example of a good use of music in a popular videogame: in final fantasy 7, after the famous aeris death scene you fight a boss. but instead of a typical 80s hardrockish final fantasy battle theme, the "sad" music from the death scene carries over into the battle. this is a good illustration of emotional conflict: you're still stricken with grief but you HAVE to fight. ofc this sort of shit is commonplace in film, but for a game it's pretty nice.
tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:26 AM »

ya def vocals is a big one, banjos, mandolin, any cool folk stuff would make me love a game so much more like Kentucky Route Zero has the coolest soundtrack just because none of it sounds like it's video game music. so any thing that uses instruments over computer generated is pretty original but also hotline Miami kinda stuff is cool on the other side of the spectrum.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »

RaR3X2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »

I feel like music should match the mood. It can be used to match the situation or the emotions of the main character, something that relates the player to the game.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 10:59:34 AM »

Maybe we should list some games that get it right. For example, the Persona series has some amazing music in genres generally underutilized in video games. Persona 3 which has a lot of hip hop influences, Persona 4 more popish, and the Persona 5 trailer has an acid jazz track. Plus, a lot of the music has vocals.

As much as I love JRPGs I get sick of the bland fantasy orchestral soundtracks. However, I'll even listen to the Persona OSTs outside of playing the games.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »

that "hello there!" gets me every damn time
even more mindblowing was the song getting sampled in dribble and spitz's cab radio in the first warioware.
love the warioware series' use of music in general really. makes sense that they went on to do rhythm heaven. (sidenote: my housemates and i have been going through fever in pursuit of 100%ing it for the past couple months and that music is so fucking good and happy and lyrical. once we get the hundo, all the music unlocks in the sound test mode. the plan is to host a party with only rhythm heaven music playing on the stereo. should be fun.)

this thread owns. i'd like to see more stuff in the vein of the neverhood soundtrack. that shit is bananas in the best way. so many games with crazy unique settings fail to create an aural identity to match and that makes me sad. i think the fez ost does a great job of creating a sense of place, though i don't really know how to apply that to anything else. it feels like a world of its own to me. god, it's so good.

i agree on the jazz front, too. even if it's not super deeply jazzy (more lounge-y like someone said before) the halo odst soundtrack is incredible. the other halo soundtracks are well-composed and even iconic, but for me the odst one blows them away because of how smokey and sultry and sad it is. it's not super deep or anything, it just did something different and that makes a world of difference (lol) to me.

on a much more shallow level, if ppl are going to keep making chiptunes can me move on to 16-bit era soundchips, thanks. i feel like the shovel knight soundtrack is as good a sendoff as any for nes chip soundtracks. i'd love to see some ym2612 music plz.

Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »

vocals in made up languages!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »

I know right

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

Psychedelic noise like Les Rallizes Denudes + power pop Elvis Costello/Marshall Crenshaw shit

OR

doo wop

Check out my game

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

Personally I don't miss the vocals in game music. At least I don't miss vocals I can understand, I like interpreting it how I feel works best rather than a specific message (capcom fighting game selection screen music comes to mind).

Along the lines of just 'creative'; yoshi bongos. I can't think of a game where the music gets another layer like that from some mechanic change.

Oh god make it stop.
danley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »

songs with vocals
hip hop
"idm" (terrible genre name, good genre)
post-punk
Pretty much this - even only just hip hop BEATS would be nice.

(I hoped "Catacomb Kids" would go down this route, considering the name)
Maybe you guys have seen this developer kicking around TIG (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45587.0) but I can't get over how much I like his soundtrack (https://soundcloud.com/archgame/sets/homemake). It's very Nujabes (he even tags it as such).

Samurai Gunn is the only game in recent memory with hip hop beats in its soundtrack. Part of why I like it so much. (https://doseone.bandcamp.com/album/the-samuraigunn-ep)

If I can ever put together a game, it's pretty much going to be styled after RZA beats (

and

in particular.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic