Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:25:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat isn't there enough of in videogame music?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What isn't there enough of in videogame music?  (Read 3601 times)
JWK5
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »

It is hard to pinpoint what exactly I find missing from video game music, but I can pretty sum it up with a single soundtrack. Though there are a shit ton of soundtracks I really enjoy, especially where RPGs are concerned, hands down the one that has stuck with me the most is the SNES version of Drakkhen's soundtrack. I've yet to hear anything like it since (nor have I played anything like it since, the closest was Dragon View for the SNES but only in terms of overworld movement despite being a sequel, of sorts). The game world was separated into four areas based around the earth, air, fire, and water elements and there were tracks for day and night in each area, with the night tracks being much more drifting and ominous. There was also a track for the dungeons in each area and the houses.

Earth:

Forest: House/Ruins

Water:
Day in the Swamp
Night in the Swamp
Swamp: House

Air:
Day in the Ice
Night in the Ice
Ice: Igloo

Fire:
Day in the Desert
Night in the Desert
Desert: Tent

Prior to playing the Elder Scrolls series it was the first game I ever played that just cut you loose in and let you freely roam the world in a 1st person perspective (potentially straight into enemies way beyond your abilities). The way the music fit with each area and gave the roaming an almost hypnotic effect was impressive. Also, like the Demon's/Dark Souls series it has a pretty interesting deep-set lore that is dished out in mysterious vague bits and pieces. You always get the sense that something is going on under the surface but you're never immediately able to piece it together (though some of this may be translation issues, either way it works for the game). I believe it is considered abandonware (at least the computer version) so finding a copy of it won't be hard. I recommend acquiring (or emulating) the SNES version, it's the best (and the one with the soundtrack I linked above).

The whole time I played Skyrim I wanted to replace its music with the Drakkhen soundtrack, but unfortunately I was playing it on PS3 (which also means about 60 hours in the save file was so massive it lagged the game into unplayability anyways). We need more soundtracks like this, drifting but very present.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:46:43 PM by JWK5 » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

weird clicky idm like jan jelinek
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »

the SNES version of Drakkhen's soundtrack.

i wonder if that was done by the same person who did the shadowgate nes soundtrack. thats one of my all time favorite game soundtracks and also sounds different from most nes music.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:05 AM »

There's not enough

in video game music.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »

Vaporwave
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »

orchestra hits

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 02:06:11 AM »

Not enough marimbas outside of Grant Kirkhope's tunes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic