Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411470 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:14:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTechneon tanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Techneon tanks  (Read 1729 times)
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:18:56 AM »

Techneon Tanks!

LINK: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/techneon-tanks/50589/
•Platform: HTML5
•Game type: Arcade/Shooter
•Version: Beta version 3
•Developers blog: http://games-placeo.tumblr.com/

Information:

Techneon Tanks is an arcade style, top down game in which the player controls a tank and goes into battle with other tanks.

Controls:
Movement - WASD/Arrow keys
Direction of turret - controlled by the mouse
Shooting - Left mouse click
Changing movement buttons from WASD to arrow keys - "V" key
Laying mines - Space bar and right mouse button

The aim of the game is to simply survive as long as you can to gain as many points as you can.

The player can earn mines and use them to destroy enemy tanks or to cut off the approach of the enemy tank which hunts using artificially intelligent path finding.

At the beginning of each round, the terrain within the map is randomized, meaning that in terms of terrain, an entirely new map is spawning which allows for more dynamic gameplay.

As the rounds survived increase, the player may find themselves pitted against up to 4 enemies at any 1 time, making surviving much more challenging.

For testers:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to test my game!

There are certain areas I would like you to focus on while you play and if possible, comment on them.

The enemy:
•Are the enemies spawning in terrain? If so, what terrain(grey, red, brown)
•Does the enemy shoot more than 1 projectile at a time?
•What occurs when two or more enemies collide?
•Is there anything irregular in the enemies movement/Direction facing(such as spinning around in circles etc.)

Shooting:
•Could shooting be made more accurate?
•Is the speed of the projectile fast enough?

Gameplay:

As this is a HTML5 game, I am rather interested in how it's platform effects in gameplay.
•Does the game lag for periods over about  5 seconds?
•Does the game at any point grind to a halt/stop responding?
•Does the game load incorrectly(such as a black screen)
•Are there any frame rate drops when a certain action is preformed such as shooting or a sudden change in direction?

Obviously, not all of these questions have to be answered, but it would be most appreciated if they were! Any feedback would be great!

Update list
Additions to beta version 2:
Restart key at when the player is destroyed
The tank and turret now act independently
There is now no reloading, just a short delay between shots
Turret has a 360 degree range of motion
The tank will move and shoot
By pressing the "V" key, buttons used to control movement can be toggled
A right mouse click places mines
"No points being added for death by mine" bug fixed.
Additions to beta version 3:
Revised spawning system for the enemies resulting in many bug fixes
Revised the system which controls the number enemies the player faces to increase difficulty
When a certain score is surpassed, the enemies will fire quicker
When a certain score is surpassed, the enemies will place mines
Collision boxes of the projectiles have been made smaller for more accurate shooting
Mines add 200 points to the score as opposed to the 100 for an ordinary kill.

If there are any other things that the game could improve on then please do let me know!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:08:42 AM by games placeo » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »

Ok. The biggest recommendation I have is that you put in an obvious "Restart level" key. I died before I knew which tank I was controlling and had to refresh the entire webpage to try again.

I got a lot of stuttering in Firefox at times, but I know Firefox isn't the greatest for HTML5 gaming.

The enemy tanks didn't really move around enough for mines to be useful, and they got caught on edges of things pretty often.

My biggest issue with the gameplay is how unmatched the two sides are. Enemy tanks can fire while moving and aim in any direction, while I have to awkwardly line myself up, stop and then fire. I would say that aiming in any direction is fairly important in a game like this. Since these are tanks, it'd also be nice if movement and aiming were separate.

I'm not sure reloading has a place in an arcade-style game such as this, but if you do want it in there then maybe the HUD should show how much ammo have left I need to reload (which is already a bit weird for a one-shot-at-a-time tank, but that's ok).

The players movement
•Is it comfortable? Does the movement feel as it should, or does it feel restricting? Restricting
•Would a 360° range of movement be better than just 0, 90, 180, 270? Full 360 would be better
•Is the speed fast enough? Yeah, I thought so

The enemy:
•Are the enemies spawning in terrain? If so, what terrain(grey, red, brown) Not that I saw
•Does the enemy shoot more than 1 projectile at a time? Not that I saw
•What occurs when two or more enemies collide? They never moved near one another
•Is there anything irregular in the enemies movement/Direction facing(such as spinning around in circles etc.) Just kind of shuddering a bit when failing to get around a corner

Shooting:
•Could shooting be made more accurate? Seemed fine to me, once I was actually lined up, but 360 aiming would be better
•Is the speed of the projectile fast enough? I thought it was all right
•Does the player shoot while moving? No, but I kept wishing I could

Gameplay:

•Does the game lag for periods over about  5 seconds? I got really choppy frame-rates for the first 5sec or so of the game, and when I got to level 5 or so as well, although it didn't last as long that time
•Does the game at any point grind to a halt/stop responding? Not for me
•Is the screen big enough? Seemed fine
•Does the game load incorrectly(such as a black screen) Loaded fine
•Are there any frame rate drops when a certain action is preformed such as shooting or a sudden change in direction? It wasn't clear if my movement caused the stutter or if it was something else

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:19:51 AM »

Ok. The biggest recommendation I have is that you put in an obvious "Restart level" key. I died before I knew which tank I was controlling and had to refresh the entire webpage to try again.

I got a lot of stuttering in Firefox at times, but I know Firefox isn't the greatest for HTML5 gaming.

The enemy tanks didn't really move around enough for mines to be useful, and they got caught on edges of things pretty often.

My biggest issue with the gameplay is how unmatched the two sides are. Enemy tanks can fire while moving and aim in any direction, while I have to awkwardly line myself up, stop and then fire. I would say that aiming in any direction is fairly important in a game like this. Since these are tanks, it'd also be nice if movement and aiming were separate.

I'm not sure reloading has a place in an arcade-style game such as this, but if you do want it in there then maybe the HUD should show how much ammo have left I need to reload (which is already a bit weird for a one-shot-at-a-time tank, but that's ok).

The players movement
•Is it comfortable? Does the movement feel as it should, or does it feel restricting? Restricting
•Would a 360° range of movement be better than just 0, 90, 180, 270? Full 360 would be better
•Is the speed fast enough? Yeah, I thought so

The enemy:
•Are the enemies spawning in terrain? If so, what terrain(grey, red, brown) Not that I saw
•Does the enemy shoot more than 1 projectile at a time? Not that I saw
•What occurs when two or more enemies collide? They never moved near one another
•Is there anything irregular in the enemies movement/Direction facing(such as spinning around in circles etc.) Just kind of shuddering a bit when failing to get around a corner

Shooting:
•Could shooting be made more accurate? Seemed fine to me, once I was actually lined up, but 360 aiming would be better
•Is the speed of the projectile fast enough? I thought it was all right
•Does the player shoot while moving? No, but I kept wishing I could

Gameplay:

•Does the game lag for periods over about  5 seconds? I got really choppy frame-rates for the first 5sec or so of the game, and when I got to level 5 or so as well, although it didn't last as long that time
•Does the game at any point grind to a halt/stop responding? Not for me
•Is the screen big enough? Seemed fine
•Does the game load incorrectly(such as a black screen) Loaded fine
•Are there any frame rate drops when a certain action is preformed such as shooting or a sudden change in direction? It wasn't clear if my movement caused the stutter or if it was something else

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I've noted your feedback and changes will be implemented, based on what you've said, in the next update.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »

Beta version 2 is now available for play testing!!

LINK: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/techneon-tanks/50589/
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »

GameJolt seems to be causing issues. The stuttering this time around made it unplayable. I tried opening the HTML file directly and didn't get any stuttering at all.

The unrestricted aiming improves the feel of the game a lot, but movement still feels too stiff to me.

Bugs and Weirdness:

-I saw one tank spawn inside a grey wall.
-Tanks often fired multiple bullets at once.
-Tanks still often get themselves placed behind crates where they don't actually have a shot at me. They'll move toward the side of the crate a bit, but not far enough to free up the gun.

One thing that I think would be good is if the tanks actually moved around more. They only move when there's something between them and me. Otherwise they're completely stationary and very easy to take out. There was no challenge at all because of that.

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:03:13 PM »

GameJolt seems to be causing issues. The stuttering this time around made it unplayable. I tried opening the HTML file directly and didn't get any stuttering at all.

The unrestricted aiming improves the feel of the game a lot, but movement still feels too stiff to me.

Bugs and Weirdness:

-I saw one tank spawn inside a grey wall.
-Tanks often fired multiple bullets at once.
-Tanks still often get themselves placed behind crates where they don't actually have a shot at me. They'll move toward the side of the crate a bit, but not far enough to free up the gun.

One thing that I think would be good is if the tanks actually moved around more. They only move when there's something between them and me. Otherwise they're completely stationary and very easy to take out. There was no challenge at all because of that.

Hiya,

Thank you for play testing this build of the game too.

Since the update and moving towards beta 3, I have been checking what exactly was causing the issues with the enemy tank spawning within terrain, and so far the telling factors have been the browser used, the internet connection at the time of playing, and Gamejolt hosting, all of which can cause lag which in turn create anomalies in the booting order causing enemy tanks to be spawned before the grey terrain and therefore the code which condition which tests the collision is no longer being called. That being said, so far through my testing I have found that either Firefox or Chrome appear to be best at running the game and of course the stronger the internet connection, the less lag there will be. Not really sure what to do about Gamejolt's hosting causing lag though :/

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that in the beta 3 update, that the enemies have been given a bit of a buff, meaning that they will now pack more of a punch then they have done before, hopefully making the game harder. In addition to this, the algorithm that controls how many tanks the player will face at any one time has been revised so that the player will now face 3+ enemies more often Smiley

I'll see what I can do about the A.I and see if I can implement something that'll make hitting the target slightly harder. Thank you again for your constructive feedback! 
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »

The enemy:
•Are the enemies spawning in terrain? If so, what terrain(grey, red, brown) Yes, grey wall
•Does the enemy shoot more than 1 projectile at a time?didn't see that happen
•What occurs when two or more enemies collide?didn't see this happen
•Is there anything irregular in the enemies movement/Direction facing(such as spinning around in circles etc.)not as far as I saw

Shooting:
•Could shooting be made more accurate? the bullets hit crates even when they visually aren't hitting them, make the hitboxes smaller
•Is the speed of the projectile fast enough?it's kind of annoying since you end up hitting enemies projectiles a lot if they're too far away

Gameplay:

As this is a HTML5 game, I am rather interested in how it's platform effects in gameplay.
•Does the game lag for periods over about  5 seconds? I didn't get any lag or problems
•Are there any frame rate drops when a certain action is performed such as shooting or a sudden change in direction?

and make the movement better. Use Vectors and velocity and whatnot so you can move diagonally and have better responsiveness

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

The enemy:
•Are the enemies spawning in terrain? If so, what terrain(grey, red, brown) Yes, grey wall
•Does the enemy shoot more than 1 projectile at a time?didn't see that happen
•What occurs when two or more enemies collide?didn't see this happen
•Is there anything irregular in the enemies movement/Direction facing(such as spinning around in circles etc.)not as far as I saw

Shooting:
•Could shooting be made more accurate? the bullets hit crates even when they visually aren't hitting them, make the hitboxes smaller
•Is the speed of the projectile fast enough?it's kind of annoying since you end up hitting enemies projectiles a lot if they're too far away

Gameplay:

•Does the game lag for periods over about  5 seconds? I didn't get any lag or problems
•Are there any frame rate drops when a certain action is performed such as shooting or a sudden change in direction?

and make the movement better. Use Vectors and velocity and whatnot so you can move diagonally and have better responsiveness

Thank you for play testing the game and for your feedback!

I'm glad to hear that you're not lagging while playing, that shows that my efforts to crack down on the lag generated thus far have not been for nothing! On that note, would you mind telling me what browser you played it on and which variant (32-bit, 64-bit etc.)? That would be rather helpful.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »

Google Chrome and I believe 64 bit

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »

Thanks for that. It appears that all 64-bit browsers have no lag what so ever
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected that. Well, Firefox 64-bit is supposed to be coming in the next few months, so that's good.

That said, Chrome has always been faster for JavaScript than Firefox is. It seems to have much better timing. Even playing something simple, I get micro-stutters in Firefox. Hopefully Mozilla will fix that in the near future.

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected that. Well, Firefox 64-bit is supposed to be coming in the next few months, so that's good.

That said, Chrome has always been faster for JavaScript than Firefox is. It seems to have much better timing. Even playing something simple, I get micro-stutters in Firefox. Hopefully Mozilla will fix that in the near future.

Hopefully some changes I've made for the beta 3 update will help get rid off the stutters you still have!
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »

Beta version 3 is live! http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/techneon-tanks/50589/

In this update I am particularly looking for feedback based on the enemy spawning numbers.

How often do you come up against enemies in numbers greater than 2?

Do enemies spawn EXACTLY on top of each other at times? (which is actually what causes the double shooting it seems as both tanks fire at the same time)

Do new enemies spawn with the terrain not resetting?

Any other weird bugs, whether it be related to the enemy tank or otherwise, please do let me know.

Thank you for supporting the game Smiley
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »

Okay! This will be one of the final updates now as the game has undergone some serious work.

Following the update yesterday I have been working to finish the game as bugs were not reported to be in the last release. So I have added all that will be added to the game and fixed a couple of little things to enhance game play.

At this point, the game is at which I would consider it's final testing stage.

Any feedback regarding bugs and glitches would be appreciated.

LINK:http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/techneon-tanks/50589/
steelsharkstudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »

i could see how this would be fun after future update but right now it doesn't have much to offer...with that said one thing you should work on is the spawning. More than a few time the enemy tank spawned very close to me and that ruins the challenge and the fun
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »

-Enemy spawning is still weird. They often end up right beside me.

-Enemies often put themselves in positions where they can't shoot me but I can shoot them.

-Enemies still don't move around much at all except when there's a wall/crate between me and them. There's no energy or excitement.

-Placing mines is pointless, since I may as well just shoot them from afar rather than driving over to a crate and putting a mine there and then moving in a circle to trick the enemy into going over it.

-There's absolutely no challenge. I feel like I could go on indefinitely, except that every "level" feels so similar so I get bored and quit. I don't need to use strategy and often don't even have to move. I can win pretty much every battle in a few seconds.

Bug: Enemies often blow themselves up somehow. In one case, I saw two enemy tanks blow up together without me doing anything. This was the only major bug I noticed this time around, though.

games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:00 AM »

-Enemy spawning is still weird. They often end up right beside me.

-Enemies often put themselves in positions where they can't shoot me but I can shoot them.

-Enemies still don't move around much at all except when there's a wall/crate between me and them. There's no energy or excitement.

-Placing mines is pointless, since I may as well just shoot them from afar rather than driving over to a crate and putting a mine there and then moving in a circle to trick the enemy into going over it.

-There's absolutely no challenge. I feel like I could go on indefinitely, except that every "level" feels so similar so I get bored and quit. I don't need to use strategy and often don't even have to move. I can win pretty much every battle in a few seconds.

Bug: Enemies often blow themselves up somehow. In one case, I saw two enemy tanks blow up together without me doing anything. This was the only major bug I noticed this time around, though.

Thanks for the feedback!

The difficulty of the game has been increased hopefully to a level which adds both energy and a challenge.
The stages at which the enemy fire rate increases has been brought down so that it will occur faster and now enemies have been kitted out with artillery projectiles which explode with shrapnel upon contact with terrain.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »

Quick update!

The difficulty of the game has been increased making it more challenging to get a high score, thus far I have discovered no bugs, if you find any please let me know!

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/techneon-tanks/50589/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic