Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:21:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVelocity Stream: Practice mode/Config tester Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Velocity Stream: Practice mode/Config tester Demo  (Read 557 times)
hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »

Hello everyone.
My name is Jakob and I'm the designer at Cavelight Entertainment. For the past two years, we've been working on our upcoming racer, Velocity Stream.
The game is a futuristic racer where one player flies a Paver through the game world, creating a road in its wake. It's on this road that the other players race, fighting among eachother to be the first to catch up with the Paver.

The game takes place in a futuristic setting with interrestich architecture, neon and a generally smooth appearance.

We've just finalised a second version of our Practice Mode demo, where you race an AI controlled Paver. A major feature of this demo is the ability to adjust the vehicles handling. Is the game to easy or to hard? Are the vehicles to slidey or feel to glued to the road? Customise it!

So in this case, you're not only able to give us feedback, you're able to send us your favorite vehicle setup.

The demo includes the game, the config file and an instruction manual featuring info on how to adjust the game.

You can download it here: http://bit.ly/1B5TJbw

And of course, please send your config files and feedback to [email protected]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:40:49 AM by hogge » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »

Having the ship lay down a track as you drive is interesting, but kinda makes for overly simple tracks (no jumps, only one path, etc.). Maybe it should drop things like obstacles or jumps onto the track as well? Two ships could fly next to one another and sometimes break apart to create separate paths? In any case, I did like catching up to it. It felt like a good accomplishment, so that aspect of the game was great.

The control felt weird to me. I'm not sure why it's set up by default to take ages to get to a decent turning speed. It just makes everything feel delayed. I had to cut the "timeToMaxSteer" value down to a third of what it was for the handling to feel even remotely normal.

It might be a good idea to make the "Menu" button (after completing a race) work sooner than later. It would make getting back to gameplay for more testing go a lot faster.

When moving down into a "dip" in the track it would be helpful if the camera would look up a bit to show me what's coming up. Otherwise I'm just staring at a "wall" of track for a few seconds and can easily get messed up once I get out of that dip.

I fell off the track and respawned three times facing sideways so I just fell off again instantly until the respawn eventually did things properly.

The back wheel on my vehicle is turning the wrong way and very slowly considering the speed I'm moving at.

The music volumes really need some adjustment. I can hardly hear it in-game, but when I finish a race I get blasted with much louder music. It's pretty decent, but just too loud in comparison to the other stuff.

The mouse is used for the menu, so I didn't realize I had different vehicle options until just now, after three races. The strange part is that the default vehicle leaves out some HUD info that others don't, like countdown when the race starts and the current speed.

I like the first two vehicle designs, the track texture, the skybox and the paver. Even without a lot to do at this stage, I found it pretty enjoyable.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:22:25 AM »

Having the ship lay down a track as you drive is interesting, but kinda makes for overly simple tracks (no jumps, only one path, etc.). Maybe it should drop things like obstacles or jumps onto the track as well? Two ships could fly next to one another and sometimes break apart to create separate paths? In any case, I did like catching up to it. It felt like a good accomplishment, so that aspect of the game was great.
We are going to stick with a single Paver and the overall physics. However, in the full game, the Paver does have access to Power ups like narrow road and the ability to lay down obstacles.

The control felt weird to me. I'm not sure why it's set up by default to take ages to get to a decent turning speed. It just makes everything feel delayed. I had to cut the "timeToMaxSteer" value down to a third of what it was for the handling to feel even remotely normal.
That is the point of this demo: for you guys to let us know how you want the game to play.
I personally like a longer time to max-steer because it gives the vehicle more mass.

When moving down into a "dip" in the track it would be helpful if the camera would look up a bit to show me what's coming up. Otherwise I'm just staring at a "wall" of track for a few seconds and can easily get messed up once I get out of that dip.
This is in the works Smiley

The back wheel on my vehicle is turning the wrong way and very slowly considering the speed I'm moving at.
The wheel is in fact not supposed to be a wheel, although a lot of people interpret it that way.

The mouse is used for the menu, so I didn't realize I had different vehicle options until just now, after three races. The strange part is that the default vehicle leaves out some HUD info that others don't, like countdown when the race starts and the current speed.
As you may understand, the game is still in the works and that is why these issues exist. We are of course aware of them and they will be resolved prior to release.

I like the first two vehicle designs, the track texture, the skybox and the paver. Even without a lot to do at this stage, I found it pretty enjoyable.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Please go ahead and create a vehicle config you're happy with and then share it with us.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic