Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:40:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Tikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer  (Read 57665 times)
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:51:05 AM »

@Green Gospod yes I follow sprite lamp since it's development phase and it look really nice.
I think making heightmap for all of mi sprites/tiles will be too much work for now, maybe later?

I am currently refactoring the game engine to be able to make some slow motion/bullet time effect, I think next week will be dedicated to this task. I hope to be able to show something soon.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:56:31 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

Refactoring in progress, it goes faster than I thought, 50 classes left to go and I will be able to start working on the slow motion feature  Toast Left

Follow us on playfield
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »

dammnnnn can I get a gif of dat water?

Caravan: devlog | website
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »

This is looking great, great style and also like the lighting a lot. Very nice!

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »

@crusty you mean animated gif of the water effet? I will try to do this this week end, but first I need to complete the time refactoring, some part of the code are buggy wince I began this big refactoring. Hopefully I use git to deal with this kind of features Hand Thumbs Up Right

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »

Refactoring day just started

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 07:36:02 AM »

I just finish the time refactoring the engine is now able to deal with acceleration or slow motion (bullet time gamming phase are now possible).

I have tuned a little bit the fighting system adding some more feedback.

First Tikotep slide backward while hurt:

Then the enemies slide backward while hurt by Tikotep

And finaly a little bullet time when an enemy die

The feeling is really better with this new features, but I think it can be more tweaked (screen and controllers rambling, sound and zoom effects ...)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:58:39 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »

Here are some animated gif to show some scenes in motion

a snowy mountain

a rainy environment

the mystic forest

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:59:17 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »

Spending all the afternoon designing a level. It's a hard work.
Does someone knows some good resources to start learning 2D level design? It would be very helpfull.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:15:45 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
lobstersteve
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 01:41:47 PM »

Shocked gorgeous stuff.
I don't see a problem with the "HD" lightning, i never saw a point of restricting yourself completly to an oldschool style, when there is no need too.
I LOVE how the forest looks. It looks like you are in a very deep forest, where vegetation is everywhere, but it's still very readable in terms of where the platforms are. The reflectation on the water is a nice effect too.
The snow is fine, moving objects always make the scenery look more alive..the rain is a little too much i think.
The color combinations are quite nice everywhere too.

Will follow  Smiley
Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

The pixel art looks amazing! Do you have a targeted release date and if so what platforms?

Craig
Snowstorm
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »

The snowy environment looks good, but the other 2 really stand out as the winners to me.  Everything about them looks very alive!

I wonder how it would look if the "glow" around the torches (in mystic world) followed the dance of the flame, moving off center in a rhythm with the flame's animation.  Maybe it would just look distracting, but I'll throw it out there.  Smiley
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

So I whipped up a rough little demo track. It's a mixture of organic and chiptune sounds.

Peyote Dance ( track 8 ) - https://leoj.bandcamp.com/album/directors-dreams

I generally think it's better to not limit yourself to the sound pallet of 8 bit / chiptune etc. I prefer to leave the possibilities wide open and then tie it in with the old school theme by mixing in a little synth and 8-bit sounds.

Feel free to use it, just send me a PM.

BTW The waterfalls look fantastic!

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »

@lobstersteve thank you for the comment, I have the same feeling about retro pixel mixed with HD effect. Ok also with the rain, I may try with little dash instead of dot.

@snowstorm currently I don't have release date, I haven't so much free time to work on the game, but I will do what I can to achieve the project. The game will be available on PC/Linux/Mac/Windows at first as it is writen in Java. I hope to make it available on steam (greenlight maybe?). If I can make it available on consoles, it would be very cool.

@psyguy I may try to make the light effect moving with the flame, sounds like a nice idea.

@Leo J, thank you very much for the music, it feel like a village/camp scene, it help me to see how to mix american indian style with modern sounds Be sure I'll PM you if I decide to use it! I also love the ost of shovel knight and FEZ.

I think the waterfall needs a little more light reflection, currently it only distort the background using a heightmap, perhaps using the heightmap to make a little light reflection can be a good idea.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:23:22 AM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »

Your pixel art is outstanding, can't wait to see more of it!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »

@MereMonkey thank you for the support!

I have just tried to make a little concept level base on a map from Ducktales, you may feel something familiar  Smiley

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »

Today I worked on the screen transition system. The idea is to pause the game as the camera slide smoothly from one room to another.

here is the result:

next time I need to rework the light system to calculate the light by rooms and not on the entire map.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:59:47 PM by alwex » Logged

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »

Not much time this week with my birthday to work on Tikotep. Here is just a little scene of Tikotep and Grandpa (the elder of the tribe and teacher of Tikotep) having some rest on a tipee before continuing their journey.

Follow us on playfield
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Also, for level design I'd recommend having a look at pixel prospector there's some good stuff on there. Once you've got the basics, I can only suggest lots and lots and lots and lots of playtesting and revising!

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »

Thank you for the link and for the Happy Birthday. Pixel prospector is full of super interesting articles, a lot of reading hours in perspective I hope I'll be able to produce a good little level soon.

Currently I need to rework the light engine to optimise the rendering process (I notice some slow down on huge map).

Follow us on playfield
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic