Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:16:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDERP LANDER - navigate through a cave system. Fair warning - it's HARD!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DERP LANDER - navigate through a cave system. Fair warning - it's HARD!  (Read 770 times)
EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

My girlfriend (artist) and I (programmer) made this little game. It has three levels.

Description:
You are a fragile ship finding yourself in a lunar underground cave system. Try to find your way to the landing pad to progress to the next area. Three levels are available for now.

We would love to hear feedback from you.

http://zadirion.itch.io/derplander
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:17:12 AM by EddieBytes » Logged

Check out our thread for Boltus
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:50 AM »

The game is updated to version 1.1. Added some graphics, changed the start screen.
First thing on the list is making the jets so it's clear for the player that they're oriented at 45 degree angle on each side.

EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »

Added thrusters. The game should be a lot more playable now with the added feedback. I've been told by someone the first level is still too hard even after making it a lot easier. Can someone let me know how it feels at first playthrough?

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:34 AM »

I'm not really a fan of lander games, but I gave it a try anyway. I don't like installers either, especially for games that I'm just testing and may get multiple versions of. Normally I can bypass installation with MSIs, but all the filenames were missing hyphens in the extracted files and the fonts would load for some reason so I had to install.

-I see two audio DLLs and a couple of sound files, but I didn't hear anything at all while playing. Was I supposed to?

-I didn't really like starting in mid-air. It's not terrible, but there's a good chance players will die right away on their first try and I don't think that gives a great impression. On a related note, losing health while on the landing pad is a bit weird. Is it possible to die while sitting there?

-The shakiness of the ship just looked glitchy at such low resolution. When in motion, it just looked like a bunch of pixel clumps jittering around, rather than loose pieces of metal.

-When I really got moving, the ship seemed to flicker between two positions maybe 10 pixels apart. Very weird.

-I didn't feel like there was any impact to the...impacts. A little bit of opacity adjustment doesn't feel like a crash. I also lost health sometimes even when the ship hadn't visibly touched anything. I think the collision box could potentially be made a bit smaller, or adjusted to fit the size of the visual sprite a bit better.

-The controls really threw me off. Even though I don't like landers, I've played a bunch and I'm pretty sure every single one had the left-side button control the left thruster and the right-side one control the right thruster. Having this game set up the opposite way had me crashing into things for a while.

-The actual feel of the ship's movement was pretty decent. I found the acceleration and gravity pretty easy to get used to.

I stopped playing in level 2 because when I reached the bottom right of the first long string of tornado things, the game became really choppy and then my ship was suddenly destroyed. I didn't enjoy fighting against those things anyway.

Level 1 didn't seem very hard once I got used to the controls being the opposite of what I expected. I didn't have any trouble at all with it after a couple of quick tries. Maybe people just think the first level should be a tutorial level with no obstacles so they can get used to how the ship controls? In any case, I thought it was pretty decent and liked it a lot more than what I saw of level 2. It's nice to feel like you have control any crashes can be avoided. Those long sections of "tornadoes" just feel like they rip control away from the player (even if they don't do that completely, it feels like it) and a death from that is just irritating. At least, it is to me...but like I said, I'm not a big fan of these games to begin with.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
EddieBytes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »

Hey Quicksand, thank you very much for your detailed feedback. You make some very good points that are very helpful to us.

Regarding the installer, the main reason I made one is because it is able to install the Visual C++ runtime automatically, instead of bothering the user to install it manually.

Indeed there are audio DLLs, but there isn't any sound implemented in the game yet. Since the game is a very early work in progress I considered it low prio for now. Thank you for paying attention to that though. It could have been a bug.

You are definitely right about starting in mid air. I am thinking starting the level with the ship "paused" until the player presses anything, then the ship starts being affected by gravity. What do you think?

The losing health while on the landing pad bit is a bug I knew about, but since it didn't affect player progression I focused on getting features in first. It is possible to die there I think, but the game progresses to the next level anyway. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

Regarding the shakiness of the ship, I still want to give it that "made out of scraps" feel. Perhaps making the moving parts bigger and fewer will help. I'll give it a try.

The ship flickering between two positions at high speed is known to me. I was hoping it wasn't noticeable so I postponed fixing it, but I was wrong, obviously xD

"-I didn't feel like there was any impact to the...impacts."
Particles! Particles! Particles! My engine doesn't have them yet, but they're on the list. I'll try using an impact sprite sheet instead until then. Regarding collision, I tried making the ship's collision as small and forgiving as possible. Seems there's still more work to be done there. Many thanks for pointing this out, Sir!

"The controls really threw me off. Even though I don't like landers, I've played a bunch and I'm pretty sure every single one had the left-side button control the left thruster and the right-side one control the right thruster."
I'm getting 50-50 feedback about this. Some people, including me, find it more intuitive to press right to go right. I've had other people see the pressing right as using the right thruster and thus going left. I find it a bit backwards, but the customer/player is always right! so I'll add an option to change the control scheme in the future.

"The actual feel of the ship's movement was pretty decent. I found the acceleration and gravity pretty easy to get used to."
Why thank you, kind sir!

"I stopped playing in level 2 because when I reached the bottom right of the first long string of tornado things, the game became really choppy and then my ship was suddenly destroyed. I didn't enjoy fighting against those things anyway."
Choppy? I know my engine is quite poorly optimized. I was hoping it would be ok on current machines though. Could you tell me your PC configuration please?

"Level 1 didn't seem very hard once I got used to the controls being the opposite of what I expected. I didn't have any trouble at all with it after a couple of quick tries. Maybe people just think the first level should be a tutorial level with no obstacles so they can get used to how the ship controls? In any case, I thought it was pretty decent and liked it a lot more than what I saw of level 2. It's nice to feel like you have control any crashes can be avoided. Those long sections of "tornadoes" just feel like they rip control away from the player (even if they don't do that completely, it feels like it) and a death from that is just irritating. At least, it is to me...but like I said, I'm not a big fan of these games to begin with."
Indeed I made level one as sort of a tutorial, for the player to get accustomed to the controls. Even so, I had people tell me level 1 is too hard, so I'm strongly considering making an even easier intro, and make the current level 1 become something like level 3, with the previous two being even easier.
I designed the tornado areas as more of a puzzle challenge with you having to figure out how to go through them without having your control ripped away from you. There is definitely a 90-100% success rate way to go through it without dying, you just need to discover it. There are three such areas in the entire game, each requiring a completely different approach.

There is an area (the curved tornado area) in level too that doesn't add much gameplay value so I'll remove it when I get back home. But the other two tornado corridors in the level are actually puzzles. Maybe I should think of a way to transmit this to the player better...

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

Choppy? I know my engine is quite poorly optimized. I was hoping it would be ok on current machines though. Could you tell me your PC configuration please?

Choppy to the point that it was unplayable, yeah, which is always surprising in a 2D game. My computer's four or five years old at this point, but still plays a lot of fairly modern games just fine. BioShock Infinite ran quite well, for example. This game doesn't seem like it should require more power than something like that.

Anyway, it's got a quad-core i7 at 2.67GHz, 6GB RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 285 (only 1GB VRAM).

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic