Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:23:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDEATHLECTION - Stone Skimming. Except with Guns.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DEATHLECTION - Stone Skimming. Except with Guns.  (Read 585 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »

Remember those fond childhood memories of skimming stones across the pond? Well now we've all grown up and play video games, so this is DEATHLECTION. Hurl your handgun across the pond, then let the recoil of firing your weapon shoot it across the surface (whilst sending out a hail of bullets in the opposite direction). Blow your opponents away to win. Don't shoot yourself in the face.

PLAY THE 2 PLAYER BUILD HERE

ORIGINS

The night before a developer talk I was doing, I was crashing on a friends sofa. In my drifting in and out of sleep, an idea popped into my head (and spent the entire talk craving to work on it). On the train back up North, I blasted out the core mechanics and took it to a couple of festivals. Depending on the reception Deathlection receives, this will be my next major project after Narcissus.

GUNTROLLERS

So I'm submitting this to AMAZE Arcade - No idea if anything will come of it, but I showed it at a couple of events recently whilst exhibiting Narcissus and I built some ridiculous controllers for it using the Makey Makey. Each player has a pistol and two buttons (Left/Right). In the final release, I'll be doing a top down view with four of these guns. The plan is to make super amazing laser cut pistols, but since there might be a ruckus with me transporting pistol shaped things in my luggage, I'm open to using bananas instead. What you can see below is the low budget prototype I've put together.

Check the video to see the fully documented construction.

CAPTURED REACTIONS

I recently showed an early build at GameBridge in Middlesborough, where I managed to get a bunch of footage of people playing it.

POTENTIAL AVENUES FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

MORE GUNS

I've got a bunch of different designed weapons that effect how gameplay works, but for now I'll be just keeping it to pistols to get the rest of the mechanics fleshed out.

MORE PLAYERS

I want at the very least the option for 4 players in the final game, though the simple input means it could be more.

CONTROLLER SUPPORT?

Depending on what engine I start building this properly within, I'll be looking to add controller support. This would allow for the characters to move more freely in motion (360 rather than left and right/up and down) and the movement of the gun provide slicker handling. There's also the fact that I could get people to double up on controllers (One analogue stick/trigger each).

UGLY ANIMATIONS

I've been doing a lot of weird weird illustrations for articles as of recently (and people keep asking me why I don't use them for more of my games), so I want to step a little bit out of my comfort zone with this project and get some lovely cartoon doodles in.

SOME KIND OF BENEFIT FOR USING THE SAME GUN OVER AND OVER

It is possible in game to throw the same gun out and bring it back to you, so I want to make the player to benefit somehow if they manage to repeat this process (longer clips, laser sights, higher recoil). I'll keep you updated on that one.

Stay tuned as there will likely be things-a-changing on here!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic