Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:21:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProto Raider - an arcade game where every level is a mini-quest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Proto Raider - an arcade game where every level is a mini-quest  (Read 1747 times)
PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:54:47 AM »

Hi!

We would be very thankful if you could take a look at our new game “Proto Raider”. It's on Beta stage now.

Proto Raider is an arcade game where every level is a mini-quest. You can run and jump, scuba dive, surf the waterfalls, fight monsters, fly in tornadoes etc. But you must be careful because you can be burnt to ashes, drowned, poisoned, stabbed, annihilated or turned to stone! To complete the quest and collect all loot, you'll need agility, speed and special items that give you various superpowers.

Please, vote for the game on Steam GreenLight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=397277501

You can download Demo here:
Windows http://www.protoraider.com/ProtoRaiderPCDemoENG.exe
MAC http://www.protoraider.com/ProtoRaiderMacDemoENG.zip

We are waiting for feedback. Thank you!

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:07:11 AM »

Wow...

This game caught my completely by surprise and just blew me away. Right from the start, the music was great. The first level made it seem very simple, but the second level showed promise and it just got better after that.

...until level 5, which was a little annoying because of the unpredictability of it (particularly on the first attempt). It didn't take many tries at all, though, so that was a relief.

I love the music, the "art", the sounds, the effect after finishing a level. The little touch of having the level number transform was great too. Really impressive stuff. Apart from the aforementioned issue with level 5, and maybe the keyboard controls being a little dark to really notice (I've been playing with the mouse), I don't have anything negative to say. It's great.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:03 AM »

This is nice, I'm following this topic! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »

Very cool game and art style!

PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »

We've just updated the game. Such languages were added: Deutsch, Français, Español, Italiano.

Please, write us if you find a typo or wrong translation!

As always, latest demo can be downloaded by links from game's facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Proto-Raider/804318722971702
mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »

Finished the demo... Well done! Thanks for sharing! I had some real fun. The mechanics are really smooth. Challenge level is spot-on. This game is entertaining from start to end, because it communicates a great sense of adventure.  

You know, to the ones of us who *did* program their first games using only ASCII, when that really was the only option (oh, the memories), games like this one seem to send a message backward in time, all the way down to 1984. The message is addressed to my BASIC-endowed 1984 self, and reads: "Dear mid 1980s garage-based game-dev: see? you *could* have done great games, if only you tried harder, don't blame the technology! Faithfully yours, the mid 2010s".

Naturally,that's a humorous lie. So, this one is not only a fun to play game, it also counts as a nicely told joke.

But wait, there's a PS in the message! It reads: "ps, what is that? A full blown 64 keys keyboard? You spoiled kids sure had everything in 1985! Back in 2015, we had a SINGLE key to control our game-play!"

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »

This game is really awesome! Is the end-level sound taken from rattling Lego pieces?

I also think you could have made the possibility of control by keyboard more clear. Other than that I have no complaints.

PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 03:49:21 AM »

Thank you for playing the game and for feedback!

Yes, the sound a the end of the levels is sound of falling lego pieces Smiley

Quicksand-T, could you please share your thoughts about more clear keyboard control?
mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »

Played some more... I really love the blue "scent" left by the hero.

Just a curiosity about the ASCII art: why are the steeper (45 degrees) staircases rendered by alternating - and T chars?
Would't it be more logical to have either all - or all T, to get equally spaced steps?
(I totally understand alternating - and T for ~45/2 deg staircases)

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

mtarini, all things were made by true characters from 7-bit ASCII table, no any rotation
Here are several steepers from the game:
_-
|'

-
T

<"
'
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:37:57 AM by PuzzleLab » Logged
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »

Yes, the sound a the end of the levels is sound of falling lego pieces Smiley

Quicksand-T, could you please share your thoughts about more clear keyboard control?

I knew it!

Its just that while I was playing the game I didn't even know you could control it with the keyboard, since I started using the mouse to press the menu buttons and continued from there.

PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »

Quicksand-T, I think we should make some kind of help page, which will describe a basic control. Thank you!
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »

Cool game.

Some notes:
- It took a short time until i noticed i can control the whole game using space key only.
- I did not like the level with the falling boxes, i think it was 5(?).
- I do not like the sound if you hold the jump key down for a longer time.
- Sometimes i died because i hit the left or right edge of the screen. It would be better if there would always be some obstacle, indicating death.
- You should place the reverse direction signs in front of ships, too (see previous point).
- I was surprised i could jump over the exit door.

I tested the game in german:
- Instead of "Vollbildschirm" you could simply write "Vollbild" or "Vollbildmodus" in the options.
- "BEENDEN" means "to end something", in case of a door, which leads outside, the correct word for "EXIT" is "AUSGANG".

I did not finish the whole demo, yet, but i will continue later. It was fun. Smiley

PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »

Hi, just want to let you know, that the game just released on Apps Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id970565441
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 03:48:09 AM »

Just got to level 15 and will be going back to play it later when I have more time. This is an awesome game never play anything styled like it and the sound design is really well done, especially love the collapse effect after every level! Awesome job, I look for to playing it again later!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:14:28 AM by MereMonkey » Logged

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »

The waterfall in level 6 seems inconsistent. Do you tap or hold to travel up the water?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
PuzzleLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »

Christian, thank you for playing the game! Please, tap to jump to waterfall. Then, one tap - one step in the waterfall. So, to cross the waterfall, just tap three times (about one sec. between each tap)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic