Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:40:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSide scrolling ARPG battle mechanics discussion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Side scrolling ARPG battle mechanics discussion  (Read 991 times)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

Hello all!

So I am currently trying to develop my dream game (overused term...but yeah). Essentially it is a beat em up layout, so there will be two directional combat. As the player progresses, he or she will able to choose different vocations for different play styles. I am aiming to have a responsive combat system, meaning something like:

short sword - fast, short range, no knockback effect (below gif)

Katana (yes, a mf katana) - fast, long range, no knockback, less stamina consumption
greatsword - slow af, long range, slight knockback
greathammer - slow, medium range, big knockback, etc.

There will also be stamina bar, simple defend and dodge system, active skills. I really don't want to use this term, but essentially "soul-like".
I am also thinking about implementing a collectible sub weapon system (2D era castlevania - SOTN, etc.)

So guys, I need your opinion, specifically, I am curious about.

1. What makes a combat system interesting? What kept you engaged throughout your playthrough?
2. What makes it boring?
3. From my description, what seems it will work on a 2D side scroller and what seems will not work?
4. Any suggestion on what will make this interesting?

Thank you so much and I look forward reading your thought!!!!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:16 AM »

2 games come to mind, on opposite ends of the boring/interesting spectrum. Froggato and Castlevania.

I stuck with Frogatto for a long time because I liked the art style, but that game got tedious. Because there wasn't enough variety in enemies or in level design.

Castlevania is choked, DRIPPING with enemy variations, and I don't ever remember being bored playing it.

Oh god make it stop.
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »

Sounds awesome, also loving the gif you have shown very nice indeedy! For me a living environment in the backdrop and contrast in levels makes it much more interesting, alot of games I've played just have a still image in the background for the entire board which can get very boring after moments of playing. It would be cool if the players had the option to make slight alternations to their character such as the shape or colour of their amour. Having the choice of weapons will work well, though it will probably take some testing to get the balance right but I'm sure that won't be too big an issue. Smiley

Combat-wise the blend of the character's animation and their corresponding sfx are key to making the player feel they are actually doing something in my opinion, if this 'impact' is missing then I tend to lose interest faster, though that's coming for me an audio designer haha. Hope this was of some help, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!  Coffee

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »

2 games come to mind, on opposite ends of the boring/interesting spectrum. Froggato and Castlevania.

I stuck with Frogatto for a long time because I liked the art style, but that game got tedious. Because there wasn't enough variety in enemies or in level design.

Castlevania is choked, DRIPPING with enemy variations, and I don't ever remember being bored playing it.

Sorry for the late reply.. been really busy with school and everything,.

CASTLEVANIA fffff yeahhhhhh, I've played almost all the 2d ones since SOTN and 100% Dawn of Sorrow and the one on GBA, so much fun, and the enemy variety is impressive. There's never one point where I got bored. (dat clock tower tho)

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:17 PM »

Sounds awesome, also loving the gif you have shown very nice indeedy! For me a living environment in the backdrop and contrast in levels makes it much more interesting, alot of games I've played just have a still image in the background for the entire board which can get very boring after moments of playing. It would be cool if the players had the option to make slight alternations to their character such as the shape or colour of their amour. Having the choice of weapons will work well, though it will probably take some testing to get the balance right but I'm sure that won't be too big an issue. Smiley

Combat-wise the blend of the character's animation and their corresponding sfx are key to making the player feel they are actually doing something in my opinion, if this 'impact' is missing then I tend to lose interest faster, though that's coming for me an audio designer haha. Hope this was of some help, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!  Coffee

Thanks Mere_monkey for the reply! I agree with you that it is a lot better if I can bring life to the game world. On the character customization though, it is probably pretty hard in this case because there are around 20 character in concepts with two different weapons for each character (in concept). Therefore essentially it will be extremely hard for me to implement customization lol.

As for the sound! I completely agree with you on this point, I focused on displaying the impact by incorporating a blood splatter, and hit effect (and sound eventually lol). Because I really want player to feel the impact.

DevLog
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »

On the character customization though, it is probably pretty hard in this case because there are around 20 character in concepts with two different weapons for each character (in concept). Therefore essentially it will be extremely hard for me to implement customization lol.

Haha good point, just thought I would bring it up anyway as an idea!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »

Have more than 1 enemy in the fight so that positioning is slightly more complex (but not overwhelming), could increase interest.

Allowing/forcing the player to creativity combo together actions in order to defeat something is more interesting than just direct hit and kill.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic