Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Wanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG  (Read 65444 times)
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »

Big news guys, I'm really proud to show you the very first in-game gameplay footage of Wanderer (with authentical debug outputs on it):

Of course everything is still in a very early stage and arts are in a rough state.
To talk a bit more about the technical side of the project, for the engine I'm using Love2D, I actually have quite some experience with it and it allows me to develop really fast (I love Lua so much, on my dayjob I'm a C++ developer, and I must admit that having no compile times with Lua is so refreshing for me...). I know it's not a common engine for "big" games, but I find it really powerful and flexible, and used in a correct way, there's no limitations on what you can do with it.

So for now I mostly worked on the platformer part of the game (after setting up a collision system and a small level editor), I've implemented almost all movements (walk, run, dash, vertical jumps, horizontal jumps, crouch, etc...). The next step will be to work on the ledge grabbing system, as well as on the multi-screen system to be able to move from one screen to another. I'll let you know how it goes!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »

A platformer AND a turn based sci-fi RPG with wicked pixel art?

I only have so many monies.

Seriously though, this looks awesome. You're awesome. Keep being awesome.

Archendrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »

Looks like a great start!  Curious, is movement grid based?  As I understand it, most cinematic platformers do grid based movement where the sprite always moves a fixed distance, usually a tile width, and they either slide/lerp between tiles, or move instantly with animation tricks used to make it appear smooth.
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »

Some of the best pixel art I have ever seen!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
returnONE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »

Looking great!
Keep it simple and finish it, guys.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous pixel-work with this so far.  This is really looking lovely!
KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »

Thanks for the kind words all! Never expected to have the first playable build put together this quickly, Fenrir's doing an amazing job!  Hand Clap

Looks like a great start!  Curious, is movement grid based?  As I understand it, most cinematic platformers do grid based movement where the sprite always moves a fixed distance, usually a tile width, and they either slide/lerp between tiles, or move instantly with animation tricks used to make it appear smooth.

We've deviated from the classic 'step based' movement system in favor of something a little more fluid and modern. The aim is to capture the sense of weight and inertia that those games have but to do away with any potentially frustrating 'clunkiness'. So far I think it's feeling really good.

Right now I'm busy polishing up the basic animations. As you can see, the current ones are rough placeholders. Still need a lot of adjustment and cleanup! While I'm working on that, here's a few more development mockups from the vault:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:58:06 PM by KaiserCVR » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

Wow wa we wa.
That's top-tier stuff man.
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 02:33:30 AM »

Thanks for the comments! Yep about the movements, nothing is grid based, it will probably be a bit more tricky for us to get smooth transitions between all states, but with the pixel art style we have it won't be too critical (well I hope...).

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »

First time seeing this after clicking the link in Fenrir's sig. Loved Another World and this is reminding me of it! Very impressed with whats been shown, can't wait to see the gameplay come together!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 04:22:45 AM »

Thanks! Can't wait too... Smiley

And here is a quick look on the in-game editor I'm developing in parallel, currently it only allows to create and edit colliders for the collision system:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:19:12 AM by Fenrir » Logged

Archendrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »

We've deviated from the classic 'step based' movement system in favor of something a little more fluid and modern. The aim is to capture the sense of weight and inertia that those games have but to do away with any potentially frustrating 'clunkiness'. So far I think it's feeling really good.

Thanks for the comments! Yep about the movements, nothing is grid based, it will probably be a bit more tricky for us to get smooth transitions between all states, but with the pixel art style we have it won't be too critical (well I hope...).

That's interesting!  It's true, movement in cinematic platformers is usually a puzzle itself.  I've been playing around with a similar movement system/feel so it's interesting to see what others are doing to implement it.  Can't wait to see more!  The art makes me drool.
ThePettzon
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:43 AM »

Hey Kaiser!

I have sent you a PM  Gentleman
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

Hey guys,

I've made some progress and added the support for multiple screens:

It's working with "portal" objects, after creating and positioning a portal, you need to link it to another portal which can be in the same scene or another one. And as you can see we can set different view scales for each scene. The whole system wasn't too complex to implement but it required a lot of work on the editor side to handle multiple scenes.

Apart from that since the last update I mostly worked on the ledge grabbing mechanism for the platformer side, it's working but I'm waiting to get some proper animations for it before showing you something. And I also integrated some new animations from KaiserCVR like the crouch idle I'm showing in the gif.

So next step will be to continue to improve the editor to easily manage multiple scenes, and then I'll work on a system to progressively load the scenes and unload them when they're no more needed, but I'll talk further about it when it will be done.

And hopefully next time I'll show you something, it will be with a real scene and not just placeholders!

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »

GOD THIS LOOKS DOPE. I love Mario RPG/Paper Mario style battling, and sci-fi, and everything. Has a dark Mass Effect vibe hella. Can't wait.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 08:06:56 PM »

+1 to being blown away at how awesome the art looks. I also really like the text/speech boxes. Crisp and clear. And the dialogue I've seen so far looks very "real", and engaging. Keep it up!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 01:50:13 AM »

First test environment integrated! Beer!
We also integrated a first rough version for the jump animation, as well as some receptions I'll show another time!

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 02:15:13 AM »

Looks absolutely incredible, guys! Keep up the awesome work!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:04 AM »

Not sure if the gameplay appeals to me, but your use of colours is amazing!
Very evocative images here.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:23 AM »

wow, the art is sooooooo good in this game!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic