Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:19:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSalary for a "Creative Writer/Designer"?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Salary for a "Creative Writer/Designer"?  (Read 1265 times)
Alder
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »

I'm applying for a position at a very reputable games studio in a position which is described as a "Creative Writer/Designer". While primarily a narrative design position, the responsibilities listed also cover ground from creation of new IP to full-on game design. I'm qualified enough to be emplotable, but the problem for me is a box at the bottom labelled "Desired salary". I have no idea what to put for it. I've never worked in the games industry before, only writing on a self-employed basis, and in-house narrative design jobs are rare enough that I honestly can't find an "average salary" figure anywhere out there for the UK. I'm young, I don't have a family to support, I'm hungry to get into the industry, but at the same time I don't want to get ripped off.

So, to anyone in the UK games industry who knows about how much I should be asking for, what would you suggest?
pottering
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »

Maybe this helps you?:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221533/Game_Developer_Salary_Survey_2014_The_results_are_in.php

http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf

https://www.develop-online.net/news/revealed-average-game-developer-salary-falls-to-32-500/0188668

I think the position you described fits the "game designer" category in those surveys.
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »

Well this is an indie board, not really the giant of the game's industry.

I don't think indies really have uses for designers/writers honestly. Usually just the guy who wants the game made takes those positions.

Balduranne
Level 0

Silent Watcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:28:53 AM »

I don't think indies really have uses for designers/writers honestly. Usually just the guy who wants the game made takes those positions.
I cannot agree with this personally. Being able to code or make art assets doesn't mean you're good at game designing.
To clarify - There's a difference between having a detailed idea, and knowing how to iron it out properly into a game.

If I were making a game, I'd probably want someone who's good at writing and figuring these things out.

Freelance Pixel Artist, woo
Apparently my PM notifications are broken, so don't be offended if I don't reply.
anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:58:23 AM »

I know I don't have the experience/patience to do much writing myself. Which means seriously limiting text and plot.

I think a dedicated writer(s) can bring something from OK to great, just look at Portal, Talos Principle, Bastion...

On the other hand, from what I've seen at the big studios, designers who can't code are usually the bane of everyone's existence.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic