Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:01:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)An modding-friendly system for game engine...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: An modding-friendly system for game engine...  (Read 579 times)
hydexon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »

Hi, i'm new here...

I've decided which my engine has flexible (or friendly) modding capabilities, but my issue is how handle this with the asset packages handles in the vanilla game and the maps which are separated from the assets, the maps only references the asset contained in the requested package from the map.

There is two fundamental packages: EngineGame.zip, and EngineGame.code, EngineGame handles basic shaders and other assets which uses the engine internals itself, EngineGame.code (is a zip with a renamed extension) which contains AngelScript compiled bytecode from the entire project....

I guess those two aren't important for modding, i can provide the level editor, the source code from the scripts and inherit from them, and the "asset metadata" which is used by the asset browser from the level editor.

Configuring which mods to use can easily archieved using .ini files, indicating which packages from the vanilla game will be replaced but i have a few scenarios:

What happens if the modder only replaces/modifies a few assets but the others from the vanilla version is intact, instead of wasting space, we need to use an kind of "asset referencing?" or simply copy the vanilla assets to the package mod?
The mod's custom script bytecode should be separated from the vanilla bytecode?.
What advices i should got if someone or a team decides to do an Total Conversion mod of my game?... (by the way i'm using PhysFS...)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic