Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:38:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSongbringer: a procedural action RPG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Songbringer: a procedural action RPG  (Read 56724 times)
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »

Gentleman Hello all. I'd like to introduce you to Songbringer, an action RPG. It procedurally generates an overworld, nine dungeons, the placement of dozens of items and upgrades, NPCs, secret locations, secret paths, secret items, etc. All this based on a six-letter world seed so you can play the same adventure again later or share a world with a friend. It's single-player or local co-op. The two main heroes are a human (Roq) and a skybot (Jib).

Songbringer: Procedural Action RPG

You play the role of protagonist and accidental hero, Roq Epimetheos. With a propensity for partying and making music, he cruises the galaxy with his skybot Jib aboard the ship Songbringer, searching for verdant planets absent the presence of galactic police.

When Roq finds the nanosword hidden in a cave on Ekzerra, he unwittingly awakens an ancient evil. The sword is pretty fraggin' sweet though. It... hums.

Jib, the Skybot

Jib began life as a human boy on the skycity planet Yuerder. Growing up, he took an interest in programming artificial intelligence, eventually making a career for himself. On his deathbed, he illegally transferred his consciousness into a skybot, destroying the consciousness link thereby preventing overwrite.

Jib scans the bodies of your fallen foes, sometimes uncovering valuable loot. He can also gain the ability to stun foes. Jib is automatically controlled by AI, or player two can play Jib in local co-op mode.

Lacking the ability to grow one as a human, Jib is obsessed with mustaches.

Procedural

You choose a 6-letter world seed when beginning a quest. This seed is used to procedurally generate the planet, overworld, secrets and dungeons.

Entering the same world seed will always generate the same world. Thus lore and competition can be shared with others.

Play a new seed and surprise yourself with a new world. Or enter a seed you are familiar with for a speed run.

Open / Non-linear

The generated overworld is open and non-linear. Head in any compass direction you like or play dungeons out of order.

Of the nine dungeons Roq and Jib can uncover in each world:

Three are thematic, containing puzzles and items integral to completing the world.
Three are secret, hidden side quests in which abilities can be gained.
Three are tough as nails with overwhelmingly difficult foes, mobs and bosses.

Secrets of the Cacti

Everywhere one looks, there is much that is not seen. Concealed treasures abound. By eating cacti, Roq gains psychedelic powers and is able to perceive the secrets that lurk in plain sight.

Some items Roq discovers can be combined to create distinct artifacts. Find a blink orb and a fire cube? Take these to the droidsmith aboard Songbringer to craft a fire orb enabling Roq to teleport forward a few steps while turning into a fireball.

Songbringer features no experience points (no XP). Progress is made by crushing mobs, vanquishing bosses and claiming lost technological devices.

Leaderboard

On completing a quest, several factors are quantified to produce an overall score:

Time to complete
Percentage of secrets uncovered / items obtained
Game mode: regular vs permadeath
Your score can be saved to a global leaderboard sorted by world seed. This leaderboard cycles through seeds by popularity and freshness. You can manually override to view a particular seed.

Links

Steam Page
Twitter @wizard_fu
Twitch (daily live stream)
Youtube Channel
Facebook Page
Official Website
Kickstarter
Press Kit
Pre-order

Songbringer is a work in progress. It is made possible thanks to all the great encouragement, feedback, comments and suggestions from the community. Some of the best ideas have come from you guys watching the daily live stream! Thank you all!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:52:11 PM by wizardfu » Logged

Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »

Ha! sweet, nice animations and movement.

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

Thanks man!  Beer!

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »

Looks like Abraham Lincoln!

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »

Haha he does! Corny Laugh If only Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter were a better movie I could site it as an inspiration.

Your comment gets me thinking maybe the hero's last name should be Abraham?? It certainly would draw attention to the fact that his hat bears resemblance and could add a bit of humor.  Gentleman

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »

To explain a bit of why the hero has a tophat and no shirt:

The Story of Songbringer

In times of peace the people learn to party. This story is not about one of those times.

Songbringer is the name of an interstellar ship full of 400 art-warehouse comrades. As our story begins she sails the solar hyperspace winds, her tack for the sun Bellatrix.

This ship herself, along with 9 other spacecutters, sails to Ekzerra, mystical, mysterious and mostly unexplored planet where law enforcement rarely make appearance.

It’s the yearly gathering know as Breakbeat. It’s the year 13,003 BC as we would count, and just about nobody is sober.

When partygoer Roq Jillebrun eats a cactus and decides it would be a fine idea to explore the planet’s surface, he unknowingly triggers a war. And not just any war neither. The Second Great War of Wizards, involving not only all of Songbringer and Ekzerra but much of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »

Space opera as fnuck!

*edit* haha wrong link

Reminds me a bit of this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:19:28 PM by TobyHefflin » Logged

Oh god make it stop.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »

Looks rad!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »

I LOVE TOPHATS!

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »

@Toby: hahshahah! I love everything about that. The biclops. The gonad plot. hahahahahh

@team_q: thanks!

@Octopus:  Gentleman  My Word!  Gentleman

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:36 AM »

This looks awesome, Nathanael! Can't wait to see this develop and getting to play it sometime! :-D

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

Sweet! Can't wait to get it out so you can play it.

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »

Looking crazy fun to play already, all these great roguelike's keep popping up, best game genre ever! I am of course assuming that you will be able to wield a laser sword in this game, with the buzz sounds a la star wars! :D

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »

Did you know light sabers are actually copyrighted intellectual property? Yeah. Anyway now that Disney owns Star Wars maybe they'd be a little more lenient about it.

I was thinking the ultimate sword in this game is some sort of nano-tech enhanced thing. Also maybe swords have notches that can be filled with nano-tech / elemental powers. Like a fire orb that turns your sword into flames... Definitely open to suggestions though!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:58 AM »

Looks like Abraham Lincoln!
Or Slash! Wink
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »

No one has a wider rock stance than Slash. We can all learn a lot from him.

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

Did you know light sabers are actually copyrighted intellectual property? Yeah.

I'm not surprised, on the other hand it's been used so often in popular culture (including games) that I doubt there's any problem unless you call your hero luke skywalker or something, a 'shining sword making a buzzing sound when swung', can that be the 'intellectual property' of someone ? Madness.

Anyway it was more a tongue in cheek request, this game looks like awesome with or without buzzing shining swords :D

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »

You know what? You got me thinking a little more devil-may-care. I'm at least going to add some rad buzzing noises!

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »

Today Songbringer gets a nifty parallaxed title menu screen. This 256 color GIF doesn't do it justice, but here's sort of how it looks:

Looking forward to doing the music for this one...  Cool

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

Cool stuff!

Twitter: @Savethejets
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic