Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:19:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Working on a 4-color palette, what can you make with it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Working on a 4-color palette, what can you make with it?  (Read 980 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »

Hi all, first post in Art.
Anyway, I've been working with a 4-color palette for a few weeks now but I'm wondering if a) it's actually good, b) if some adjustments should be made to make it better, and c) what could you make out of the palette?

This was slightly different at first, but when I adjusted it I saw the first version was way too unsaturated. Got a bit of influence referencing Roguelights palette btw.
Anyway, have at it!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »

It's too monochromatic for my taste but it depends on what you're trying to achieve, for what kind of a game is it and what kind of art are you planning on making. I would experiment with bolder color combinations.

Feel free to use any of these.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »

It's too monochromatic for my taste but it depends on what you're trying to achieve, for what kind of a game is it and what kind of art are you planning on making. I would experiment with bolder color combinations.

Feel free to use any of these.
Just concept art atm, but I have an idea for a 4-color game, gameboy dimensions, about a robot on Mars. But yeah I'll try to see what a bolder appearance feels like.

And omg I love that Pioneers palette! Didn't know there were other ones in the game.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »

The red, desolate tones seem like a good fit for your game's concept. Most palettes can work together in interesting ways, you just gotta figure out the context/purpose for which they work.

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:26 PM »

I really like the low-color but higher-resolution style, like Eigen does in Pioneers.

I did a Gameboy-palette game ("Les blocs de l'est"/"Eastern Blocs") but with an 800x600 resolution, and it was definitely the most fun I've had pixeling, because the greater resolution gives some more room to play with texture as a substitute for color.  Some of the little textural details (like that the background is supposed to be a pixelated Gameboy display seen from within, and that the buildings are meant to be stage sets) wouldn't have been possible in the lower resolution.

I think it would be interesting, if your Mars changes over the course of the game, to subtly shift the palette as well.  (For example if it's a terraforming story, to slowly shift the middle colors to blues and greens.  Or even locally, like a "moisture shader" that takes the ambient humidity within a several-tile radius and reflects that in the palette used.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic