Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:06:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Flash deployment?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash deployment?  (Read 1169 times)
gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »

Related to http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45458.0 on Haxe/Flash. This is the other way around.

We all know that Flash can be deployed via Web browser. Many of us know that Flash can be deployed via executable, sort of, when packaged inside an instance of the Flash Player.

Are there any other options? For example, a cleaner executable, mobile, and so on?

In short, how have you who've worked with Flash deployed your games?

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:25:02 AM »

Back when I was in 8th grade, I actually made a flash game for a math assignment, teaching the player various algebraic stuff through an RPG structure. I distributed that via the packaged Flash Player .exe, as you mentioned. Aside from that, I've used Flash pretty exclusively for web browser games, since it isn't stable enough for larger scale (standalone) games, and with the headaches I've had to deal with, I don't trust it enough to develop for mobile.

I've wanted to switch over to Unity/C# for some time, now, and a couple months ago, I finally did. The environment takes a good deal of getting used to (from Flash), but you can do so much more with it. It's amazing. Plus, you can build directly for mobile devices, so while I may be somewhat biased on the topic, I feel like it's probably the best entry point to mobile distribution.

Hopefully you'll get a reply regarding Flash development on mobile, though, cause that just sounds like a nightmare, personally. I'm curious if that's actually not the case at all. lol

Check out my devlog!
dca123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »

Currently using Flash Builder for dev. So far no issues and works good. There are many resources for doing this and deploying the app to mobile.

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

Thanks for the help, all. Gonna try out Flash Builder.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »

I'm using FlashDevelop (since flashbuilder is paid) and deploying desktop, web and mobiles apps is easy, but they have their quirks. To have proper performance I use Starling. Would I recommend making games in flash? NO. It's good for quick prototyping, but stable release are a pain the ass. If someone is out to learn a new technology, he should learn Haxe or go directly to Unity.

Making desktop apps is annoying since you have to write a lot of boilerplate code, like supporting windowed/fulllscreen mode etc.

I actually had the best experience exporting air apps to mobile. But you have to use that one template that does preloading and asset management in a nice way, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time pissed off.

Flash player sucks and its performance varies GREATLY between browsers. For example, there are 2 players on chrome, because reasons... I hope adobe will release a final stable version of flash player before they stop supporting it.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »

Here's the thread for how to do it using the Flash IDE: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/212109

The IDE allows creating a standalone projector. You will have to use the Starling framework to export for iOS because the native graphics in Flash on iOS are very very slow on high resolutions.

Alternatively you can port you project to Haxe and ask questions on how to do this on your journey.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic